Insanity Doesn't Require A Gun

wkmac

Man Stabs 28 Children at Kindergarten in China

TAIXING, China – A knife-wielding man attacked a kindergarten class of 4-year-olds in eastern China on Thursday, slashing 28 children in what an expert said was a copycat rampage of two other episodes at Chinese schools in the past month.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
http://reason.com/archives/2010/03/16/pre-crime-policing
Allegedly “disgruntled” man has his guns seized, and “voluntarily” surrenders to two SWAT teams and dozens of police officers for a crime that hadn’t been committed

Radley Balko | March 16, 2010

To hear them tell it, the five police agencies who apprehended 39-year-old Oregonian David Pyles early on the morning of March 8 thwarted another lone wolf mass murderer. The police "were able to successfully take a potentially volatile male subject into protective custody for a mental evaluation," announced a press release put out by the Medford, Oregon, police department. The subject had recently been placed on administrative leave from his job, was "very disgruntled," and had recently purchased several firearms. "Local Law Enforcement agencies were extremely concerned that the subject was planning retaliation against his employers," the release said. Fortunately, Pyles "voluntarily" turned himself over to police custody, and the legally purchased firearms "were seized for safekeeping."
This voluntary exchange involved two SWAT teams, police officers from Medford and nearby Roseburg, sheriff's deputies from Jackson and Douglas counties, and the Oregon State Police. Oregon State Police Sgt. Jeff Proulx explained to South Oregon's Mail Tribune why the operation was such a success: "Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach."
There's just one problem: David Pyles hadn't committed any crime, nor was he suspected of having committed one. The police never obtained a warrant for either search or arrest. They never consulted with a judge or mental health professional before sending out the military-style tactical teams to take Pyle in.
"They woke me up with a phone call at about 5:50 in the morning," Pyles told me in a phone interview Friday. "I looked out the window and saw the SWAT team pointing their guns at my house. The officer on the phone told me to turn myself in. I told them I would, on three conditions: I would not be handcuffed. I would not be taken off my property. And I would not be forced to get a mental health evaluation. He agreed. The second I stepped outside, they jumped me. Then they handcuffed me, took me off my property, and took me to get a mental health evaluation."

Pyles says he has no criminal record, and says he never threatened anyone in his office.
"The idea that Pyles turned himself in voluntarily is ridiculous," says Starrett, the gun rights activist. "There's nothing voluntary about waking up to a SWAT team outside your home, then having a police negotiator call and suggest you surrender. They had no arrest warrant. But Pyles only had one option. If he didn't come out on his own, they were going to come in to get him."

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Man Stabs 28 Children at Kindergarten in China

Man, why bring this to the forefront?
How does this enrich BC?
This is tragic and a nightmare to image.

Why do we need to read this?

I want to pray for these kids right now and I didn't know about this until now. I didn't open the link, just read the Subject Line.

"Insanity doesn't require a gun"??? why not a fork; weed-wacker; car; frozen meat...........give me a break!! ANYTHING can be used to hurt or kill.

rod

Retired 22 years
Man, why bring this to the forefront?
How does this enrich BC?
This is tragic and a nightmare to image.

Why do we need to read this?

I want to pray for these kids right now and I didn't know about this until now. I didn't open the link, just read the Subject Line.

If you don't want to see horrible stories I suggest you don't on click posts coming from the "Current Events" section. Not much else is in there.:peaceful:

fxdwg

Long Time Member
If you don't want to see horrible stories I suggest you don't on click posts coming from the "Current Events" section. Not much else is in there.:peaceful:

There are a couple of ways to take your reply:
You are one of several people here that have told me what to look at and comment on.
I just looked at the subject that hid the story. Upon "clicking" on the thread, I see something that saddens me. Perhaps that is OK with you, but I ask: "why is this information valuable, relevant or important".
You're right; there seems to be so much gloom in the news today and so many willing to bring it forward

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's here, fxdwg, because it is a current event and that is the basis of this particular forum. There are a lot of 'current events' that are going on that do not have anything to do with BC specifically but there are a lot of people here that like to stay up on the current events. Mac and Baba come to mind immediately but there are many others. Cheryl has provided a well rounded site and there is an interest here for just about everyone, even you. Rod is right, if what is going on in the world is not your cup of tea then don't read it. No offense intended. There is a lot of insanity going on in the world and it doesn't require a gun but it also doesn't require being read. :peaceful: