Inside Combo Jobs

brownmex

Does anyone know what type of inside combo jobs are available and how long it takes to get them? I've been at UPS for a little over a year and have done many different jobs including: loading/unloading(package cars and trailers for both), sorting, missort/walkoff, qc/tape-up, belt tender, and bulk driver. I don't know if that will help but I'm hoping I'll be prepared when I do get a full time job.

HazMatMan

Have no idea, every building/city/district seems to offer different jobs. You need to find out from a steward or management person (high rank) the new jobs are usually posted with start time/job description/ etc... GOOD LUCK!!!!

browniehound

It depends what size building you're in. There can 50-100 jobs in certain buildings. I got a combo job when they first came out in march of 2000. At that time I had only been with the company for 5 months. It was a great job that lead to a full-time driving 6 months later. I did an air route that started at445 pm and went to the airport. I got back to the building around 10-1015. That paid 14.50 after 30 days. I then worked the midnight shift that started at 1115 to about 4am or later. That paid my pt inside wage of 9.50. I was getting over 50 hours per week and really liked the job. It was the 9.50 an hour I couldn't live with so I went driving. That being said, I think its a great thing at UPS and you should take advantage of it if possible. I plan on driving maybe another 15 or so years and save as much $$$ as possible and take one or these jobs until I retire. If its an easy job I may stay until 65 or older.

HazMatMan

It depends what size building you're in. There can 50-100 jobs in certain buildings. I got a combo job when they first came out in march of 2000. At that time I had only been with the company for 5 months. It was a great job that lead to a full-time driving 6 months later. I did an air route that started at445 pm and went to the airport. I got back to the building around 10-1015. That paid 14.50 after 30 days. I then worked the midnight shift that started at 1115 to about 4am or later. That paid my pt inside wage of 9.50. I was getting over 50 hours per week and really liked the job. It was the 9.50 an hour I couldn't live with so I went driving. That being said, I think its a great thing at UPS and you should take advantage of it if possible. I plan on driving maybe another 15 or so years and save as much $$$ as possible and take one or these jobs until I retire. If its an easy job I may stay until 65 or older.

Your very lucky, getting full time after only 5 months, I didn't have enough seniority for the first batch of jobs,(in 97)(only had 9 years) had to wait until 2001 (when I had 12 years) First batch came out originally in 97, but UPS dragged it out until 99, guys got 2 years back pay....

browniehound

I got back pay also. It was if I was full-time from my hire date. Also got pension contributions retro-active to my hire date also. It was a great opportunity and I was in the right place at the right time.

brett636

With every hub its different and with bigger hubs its always changing. In 2005 you wouldn't get a combo job with anything less than 8.5 years seniority in my facility, but I went combo in Oct. of last year with less than 6.5 years. My advice is to sign every combo job list you see posted. Thats what I did never expecting to get a call, but one eventually came. A lot of guys with more senority than me part-time are waiting for the perfect combo job for them, but none of them realize you have to get your foot in the door first. I now have priority over them when it comes to getting combo jobs while they are still twiddling their thumbs hoping they can get right into an easy one when it opens.

phx1 combo

If you can get a decent full time inside combo, grab it!!! I got mine almost 7yrs. ago. But it took 5 yrs. of waiting to even be considered. By that time, I had totally fallen out of love with the idea of driving full time, so to go combo was an easy decision. But look out: full time drivers with 20yrs+ can see the writing on the wall and are snatching those combos up quick! Get your name on the list! Quick!!