Inside deal?

over9five

Staff member
With that additional information, it now sounds HUGELY snakey to me. I think every member should make a call to that locals president.
There is NO WAY UPS would hire a guy who never worked there just so he could finish his 30 years. A dirty deal was made, IMO.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
With that additional information, it now sounds HUGELY snakey to me. I think every member should make a call to that locals president.
There is NO WAY UPS would hire a guy who never worked there just so he could finish his 30 years. A dirty deal was made, IMO.

I guessing that with the problems YRC is having and the concessions made in regards to their pension, he would be taking a significant hit if he returned and subsequently retired from Yellow.
With that in mind, it would seem that this deal is squarely in a gray area at best.
I wonder what UPS's liability will be in regards to retirement?
Knowing UPS like I do, I'm thinking their liability will be zero.

There is an interesting situation currently going on in my center. Our assistant BA (Sideburns) is supposedly going to spend 60 days training in feeders and then will retire with a full Teamster pension. From what I was told this morning, he was 2 months shy of getting his 30 years before he went to work for the union. We were talking about this before the PCM and while we don't have a problem with this we all wondered if this was some kind of inside deal between the union and UPS. We also wondered if any grievances were traded or thrown out in order to make this deal. It just doesn't feel right.

This is nothing against Sideburns. He is a nice guy. His wife has some serious medical issues and perhaps he is doing this so that he can spend more time with her. We just wonder if this is on the up and up.
What ups make a back room deal, know they would never bargain with another persons job would they?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guessing that with the problems YRC is having and the concessions made in regards to their pension, he would be taking a significant hit if he returned and subsequently retired from Yellow.
With that in mind, it would seem that this deal is squarely in a gray area at best.
I wonder what UPS's liability will be in regards to retirement?
Knowing UPS like I do, I'm thinking their liability will be zero.

Bubbles is right--UPS has no liability in regard to the pension as it is a Teamster pension plan.

....and yet our pension plan is broke.....

705red

Browncafe Steward
If this guy never worked for UPS and your local has worked out a deal where he can go into feeder for 60 days right of the street, I hate to tell you. Your local is in bed with UPS. Plain and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vote those pricks out!

satellitedriver

If this guy never worked for UPS and your local has worked out a deal where he can go into feeder for 60 days right of the street, I hate to tell you. Your local is in bed with UPS. Plain and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vote those pricks out!

Ditto, red.
What about the UPS feeder driver he is going to bump out of a job?
As a BA he "represented" this person, now he is out for himself.
I wish to express my true feelings and thoughts on this subject, but I will show rare restraint.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My take on this is a not the same as most others ( or maybe all).
I see the local union taking care of one of their own when he needs a helping hand and UPS did him and the Union a favor.
The period is for 60 days and then he is gone and taking care of his wife.

To me it is a compassionate story and the right thing to do. Sometimes doing the right thing breaks the rules.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If this guy never worked for UPS and your local has worked out a deal where he can go into feeder for 60 days right of the street, I hate to tell you. Your local is in bed with UPS. Plain and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Vote those pricks out!
Now, you guys might understand my pain.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My take on this is a not the same as most others ( or maybe all).I see the local union taking care of one of their own when he needs a helping hand and UPS did him and the Union a favor.The period is for 60 days and then he is gone and taking care of his wife.To me it is a compassionate story and the right thing to do. Sometimes doing the right thing breaks the rules.
I would agree, except I know the players. Our pres doesn't do anything unless he gets something out of it. Besides, how come I can't get any of that lovely compassion?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what I have heard no current feeder drivers will be displaced as a result of this.

Hoax, I would agree with you only if there were no "deals" made, which we don't know if any were made or not.

menotyou

bella amicizia
From what I have heard no current feeder drivers will be displaced as a result of this.Hoax, I would agree with you only if there were no "deals" made, which we don't know if any were made or not.
What about the cover feeder drivers? In particular, one from Potsdam that hates our BA?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have no idea but will try to find out.
I'm not sure which direction he covers for(n/s), but he shares superman's first name. I am not saying it's happening, just wondering. I didn't get a response to my text about the situation. I know there are people in my building who are upset, though.

CharleyHustle

As far as UPS, it is a no lose deal. They get an experienced feeder driver to run vacations for the summer and possibly into peak. He wants to retire, so his chances of trying to hang around is near 0%. They most likely have to hire someone anyway (a good thing, right?) why not hire a teamster? If you were facing layoff or job loss, would you like the local to help you get another job in the industry? The benefits for the ex BA are pretty nice, so my bet is he comes in and does a nice job with no complaints. Reality is, the members in the local have ample opportunity through the by-laws to remove incompetant officials. Just make sure you have more than an ax to grind.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My ax is I pay dues for representation which I have not had. I have grievances from 09' that were taken to a meeting, claimed to be looked into by labor and have had not heard a word since. Can't get BA to do anything. I have been quite open about my issues with my local, as I have nothing to hide. As far as removing him, the same could be said for Hoffa/Hall. Yet, how often do you hear that their well-oiled machine knocks down any opposition. How would that be any different than very rural locals? The firmer pres/ BA was in office for 40 years and hand picked this one. They are all related or married to someone's sister. Rural locals are much different then more populous ones. They will be removed, just when is the problem. And, the last election we had, management (yes, management) was talking up the current slate. One of their own has defected. Another is(apparently)going into feeders. Yet another, is on his last round. Their days are numbered. Dosn't everyone have an axe to grind of some type?