Inside deal?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Nothing new on this situation. Sideburns is usually in our buildings on Mondays. I will see what if anything I can find out then.
Thanks. I do wish the best for him as I have found him to have a lot more character than his boss. It's too bad you guys are losing him. I wish we could get him for a little while.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks. I do wish the best for him as I have found him to have a lot more character than his boss. It's too bad you guys are losing him. I wish we could get him for a little while.

To be honest, while he is a nice guy, he doesn't really do a lot for us. I asked him a retirement related question before I went on vacation--he said he would look in to it--came back from vacation--he hadn't looked in to it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
To be honest, while he is a nice guy, he doesn't really do a lot for us. I asked him a retirement related question before I went on vacation--he said he would look in to it--came back from vacation--he hadn't looked in to it.
Well, that's what I get for listening to the hamburglar!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My take on this is a not the same as most others ( or maybe all).
I see the local union taking care of one of their own when he needs a helping hand and UPS did him and the Union a favor.
The period is for 60 days and then he is gone and taking care of his wife.

To me it is a compassionate story and the right thing to do. Sometimes doing the right thing breaks the rules.

I whole heartedly disagree.
This guy came from Yellow, where the very people that voted him in are not going to enjoy the same sweetheart deal.
Some leader they got.
I equate this with the captain of a sinking ship taking a seat in the life boat while his passengers were going down with the ship.
This a blatant abuse by this individual and this particular local.
If I knew the players I would file a formal complaint with IBT.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I whole heartedly disagree.
This guy came from Yellow, where the very people that voted him in are not going to enjoy the same sweetheart deal.
Some leader they got.
I equate this with the captain of a sinking ship taking a seat in the life boat while his passengers were going down with the ship.
This a blatant abuse by this individual and this particular local.
If I knew the players I would file a formal complaint with IBT.
i think hell may be frozen over because i agree with you 100 percent,,, how about earning a pension like the rest of us

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i think hell may be frozen over because i agree with you 100 percent,,, how about earning a pension like the rest of us

Technically he will have earned the pension once he completes the 60 days of "training". Our pension, the NYS Teamsters Pension Fund, is a multi-employer plan and, yes, Yellow is one of the participating employers.

We don't have an issue with the 60 days. We are concerned that grievances may have been traded/thrown out to make this deal happen. The only liability UPS will have are the 60 days worth of contributions to the pension plan.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Technically he will have earned the pension once he completes the 60 days of "training". Our pension, the NYS Teamsters Pension Fund, is a multi-employer plan and, yes, Yellow is one of the participating employers.

We don't have an issue with the 60 days. We are concerned that grievances may have been traded/thrown out to make this deal happen. The only liability UPS will have are the 60 days worth of contributions to the pension plan.

I think what you, and other might be missing, is that YRC has garnered numerous concessions due to their financial woes in the past few years.
I'm not exactly sure what the pension concessions are from region to region, but I know they are significant.
The company has only just recently began to start making partial pension contributions again, after several years of exemptions, for their employees and is dire straights with a very unsure future.
During those years their employees earned zero years toward a retirement pension.
I'm sure that if he returned to his company as the system is designed, he would be subject to the same concessions that the rest of Yellow's employees were subject to while he was in office.
By this guy pulling off this little shell game, he is avoiding the same financial hardship the rest of his co-workers are incurring.
There is no other reason for this guy to do 60 days at UPS before retiring.
It's a dirty little side deal and it stinks!!!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
My take on this is a not the same as most others ( or maybe all).
I see the local union taking care of one of their own when he needs a helping hand and UPS did him and the Union a favor.
The period is for 60 days and then he is gone and taking care of his wife.

To me it is a compassionate story and the right thing to do. Sometimes doing the right thing breaks the rules.

The elephant in the conference room here is; Gee, I wonder if any of the dues paying retirees from over at YRC have wives with medical issues?

My best guess here is that the 60 days will give him 500 hours, which in my plan counts as good as a full year for fulfillment purposes. So he starts at YRC, becomes a BA and finishes at UPS and even though it may be a multi employer plan, the differences between benefits are negotiated vastly different and I'd also guess that the UPS plan is significantly better than the YRC version, even though they both make contributions.

It sure sounds like something to raise hell about. I want to support my retiring fellow Teamsters as much as anyone, but this sounds like downright abandonment as Bubble said. I totally agree with 705, vote them out! I'd lastly add that as far as punishment, I'd really be surprised if there would be enough evidence available to prove dishonesty. It's possible to say it was all as a favor or this or that and that no "trades" were made.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I believe favors were traded. Our BA won pres by the skin on his teeth. If he lost, he would go from $80,000 a yr to $15 a hr on metro(over$60,0000 less). Why would our managers be promoting his good deeds around election time?

QKRSTKR

Can't he go back to YRC and finish his time there? His seniority should dovetail right in there also. I'm sure something was traded. I'm beginning to get menotyou's attitude. Corrupt S.O.B's that wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for UPS teamsters. We all have sob stories and personal problems. Yet how many of us get sweetheart deals?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I found out a little more today. Turns out he has to work for 6 months, not 2, to get his 30 years for his pension. The feeder guys, especially some of the lower seniority ones, are not happy about this at all. They are also wondering why he can't finish his 6 months with Yellow. There are already feeder guys who have bumped back in to package so adding Sideburns could displace one more feeder driver.

satellitedriver

:happy2:
So,................
Compassion and the right thing to do has come into play with the teamsters and UPS?
Hell, I don't remember walking through that Looking Glass.
I guess I need to go ask Alice.

JonFrum

Does the Yellow Contract have a clause granting Union Officials the right to return to their old jobs if the jobs still exist?

Are there any Yellow jobs Sideburns' seniority would make him eligible for? Or would he be on layoff status?

While BA, didn't the Local contribute into the NYS pension fund on his behalf?

If so, why can't he just continue on as BA for the next six months and get his remaining pension time in that way?

Did Yellow stop participating in the NYS fund for about two years, and then recently resume contributing at a drastically lower level?

Has the NYS Fund announced YRCW participants will therefore have their entire career pensions cut in half (or something like that,) unless they finish up their career with another top-level contributing employer like UPS?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jon, the only question I can answer with certainty is the 4th one--his position is being eliminated by the union to save money (ironic, isn't it?) Yellow did stop contributing for a while but I don't know if they have started again or what has happened to their pensions.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Well, well, well. The nasty, dealmaking, backstabbing side of Brian comes out. Maybe now, everyone here will understand why I hate my local officials. Displacing UPS employees to satisfy some backroom deal. Who, or how many, UPS employees did Brian sell out for this deal? Welcome to Local 687.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If his position is eliminated, could he not simply qualify for unemployment for the 6 month period until he retires, thereby sidestepping the possibility of displacing upsers?