Inside employee here. Am I required to stay for the next shift?

takesteady

Maybe this a dumb question, but am I required to stay for the next shift?

About a year ago I signed a bid sheet to change to the ‘preload-night sort’ because of my school schedule. I’ve been working night exclusively since then, but since the pandemic I’ve been staying for preload as well because I actually know how to load. I don’t mind working doubles since my classes were cancelled, but now I have finals coming up. I don’t want to be written up for job abandonment, but I just can not work preload now. Any insight into this?

UnionGuy

If your shift is night, then why are you staying for preload? If you are not a 22.3 and you are a part-time night employee, then you have no obligation to stay. Double shifting is optional, they can't force you to do it.

mathdad

Just tell your supervisor you can't work it due to school. My sup even told me "technically I can't make you stay but I really appreciate the help". I think it will also depend on your facility, local union, and supervisor. Luckily I have a pretty chill supervisor.

We have been ending on the later side and I have to drive my girlfriend to work at 10 and they're pretty understanding about leaving to do what I need to do.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Maybe this a dumb question, but am I required to stay for the next shift?

About a year ago I signed a bid sheet to change to the ‘preload-night sort’ because of my school schedule. I’ve been working night exclusively since then, but since the pandemic I’ve been staying for preload as well because I actually know how to load. I don’t mind working doubles since my classes were cancelled, but now I have finals coming up. I don’t want to be written up for job abandonment, but I just can not work preload now. Any insight into this?
@542thruNthru

542thruNthru

giphy-216.gif

rod

Retired 22 years
From what I read on here you don't have to do anything they tell you to do anymore---- otherwise you just have to cry to get your way.