Instructed by center manager to NOT to take a lunch during peak.

A few things have been on my mind lately about this place we call work. Our center manager has previously stated "drivers are forbidden to take a lunch when they have helpers." He also said "I don't feel like paying helpers for taking a lunch." "Tell them if they are hungry, to eat a sandwich for 5 minutes in between stops." Most drivers in my center would meet their helpers around 11:30AM to 12:00PM. Helpers could stay with their drivers for 5 hours up to 8 hours during the highest volume weeks. That means that they would be on the truck until 5PM to 8PM. Now according to union contract, drivers are allotted to take a lunch between the forth and sixth hour. My question is how can a driver take his/her lunch without their helper taking a lunch as well. Helpers aren't qualified to drive the package cars and deliver on their own. Should helpers load a dolly up with parcels and walk up and down hills in the snow while you enjoy a cheesesteak? Or does this center manager want our drivers to work 10 or 12 hour straight without taking a lunch or break? Is this the center manager instructing employees to go against what the agreed contract states or is it my imagination? Has anybody else heard anything like this before??

over9five

Staff member
A few things have been on my mind lately about this place we call work. Our center manager has previously stated "drivers are forbidden to take a lunch when they have helpers."

How hard did you guys laugh when he said that? Must have been quite the sight!

The helper is on the car to work, not sit and eat.
Please forgive me,but you HAVE to be that one guy in every bldg the rest of the drivers want to beat the piss out of. If the helper happens to be with the driver during their normal lunch break,then the helper takes an hour lunch unpaid. Get a life.

union4life

I hear of these things all the time. During my 20 years at this company I have noticed a common thread in management, they will try to get away with anything they can.

Your post does not surprise me. I'm sure there will be drivers that will comply to their request. Don't be one of them. You know you rights. There is nothing wrong with doing what is right.

In the end, you are responsible for your actions. Stand tall and be glad you have the language in your contract to support your actions. Remember, the company agreed to the language you are referring to. Use it and stand strong.

Your missing the point Upstate! If your helper is with you for 5 to 8 hours, when are you suppose to take your lunch as a full-time union employee? Maybe one route like a mall route this could be done. I believe that it is a drivers choice when he/she can take their lunch depending on what the route demands are. No where does it state that drivers are "forbidden" to take a lunch when they have a helper with them. The center manager is making up his own rules and instructing drivers to go against the contract. I already know that they could care less about a helper.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Please forgive me,but you HAVE to be that one guy in every bldg the rest of the drivers want to beat the piss out of. If the helper happens to be with the driver during their normal lunch break,then the helper takes an hour lunch unpaid. Get a life.
umm, i doubt he is but i may be, and, at any point, any time i am open to the challenge, btw im guessing yor very new to the game if you have a helper and take lunch with him

brownelf

perhaps it's time to think about the whole helper issue with the contract demands meetings coming up soon. Maybe it's time to end it, because of the way the company interprets this issue, and many others regarding helpers. Put another truck on the road when it gets busy, remember when they hired full time package car drivers for peak? That's how many of us started, including myself at Xmas. See so many in the building each day waiting for a chance to go fulltime, and we could use a few. Lost many this year thru retirement, yet was told no new guys for peak. It's sad, are you listening Jimmy?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You seem to suffer from a severe case of Internet cajones.

I will have the same helper this year that I have had for the past three; in fact, I got him hired on after this last Peak. He works on the metro. He is on the car by 1000 and has to be off by 1500 at the latest. He gets a meal break during his shift. If I only have him for 5 hours (usually less) why in the world why I want to stop for an hour and eat? He is there to work and has no problem with the arrangement. He brings snacks and I bring my lunch. I take him out for lunch on the last day and give him $50 as a tip.

Last edited:
umm, i doubt he is but i may be, and, at any point, any time i am open to the challenge, btw im guessing yor very new to the game if you have a helper and take lunch with him
That comment was not for you but feel free to come on down to saddle brook and ask for me...we will see what you're up for....and bring your boyfriend with you.

govols019

You smell that?

I'm far from being new to the game and I always take a lunch with my helper. I go to lunch at the same time everyday regardless of who is in the jump seat.

satellitedriver

Simple math. I get paid for when I work.
Ups deducts one hour out of my pay for lunch, if I take it or not.
If a center manager said I can not take lunch, during peak,
I would take an hours lunch and let the chips fall where they may.
Helpers down here are only paid $8 an hour and are restricted to no more than 4 to 5 hrs a day, without approval from the center.
Little wonder why most helpers quit on the first day/week after they experience the work load.
Yes, the center manager is under pressure -(read as unrealistic expectations from corporate)- and that is the main reason why in my 25yrs I have worked under 13 center manager's.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm far from being new to the game and I always take a lunch with my helper. I go to lunch at the same time everyday regardless of who is in the jump seat.
This.

Also he's not my helper, he's UPS's helper. I didn't ask for him, I didn't hire him, I'm not paying him and I'm not training him. If you don't want him taking a lunch then don't put him on the car with me during my lunch break.