Instructed to call customer? What?

BUCN85

This is new to me. Today I was " instructed" to call a customer that wanted to meet me for their pkg. I told oms I'm way to burried to stop and call and deal with it but they could call the customer and let them know where I'll be and they can meet me. Apparently this wasn't good enough.

PT Car Washer

This is new to me. Today I was " instructed" to call a customer that wanted to meet me for their pkg. I told oms I'm way to burried to stop and call and deal with it but they could call the customer and let them know where I'll be and they can meet me. Apparently this wasn't good enough.
So what is the problem? Not a normal situation, but not unheard of if the customer really needs his package.

ManInBrown

Not your job to call. Office should have gotten a location from you and dealt with the customer themselves. I have never, and will never use my cell phone to communicate with any customer. I have a business on my route that is under a remodel. The foyer has been torn out and thus the front door is now locked. The foyer used to have a bell to alert the office someone was there. There is a note on the door instructing visitors to call this # to let them know you are there. I refused. I bang on the door, if you don't answer it's CL1. The next day they're all pissed saying why didn't you call. Because I'm not provided a cell phone that's paid by UPS. That's why. So you don't have a cell phone they say? Oh I do, but it's not going to be used to contact you.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I always reply "sorry, I forgot my ups issued cell phone at home."

We are not req to use our personal cell phones for ups use

The only person who hasn't gotten themselves blocked on my cell is the center manager

Even all 5 lines at the building are blocked.

Not your job to call. Office should have gotten a location from you and dealt with the customer themselves. I have never, and will never use my cell phone to communicate with any customer. I have a business on my route that is under a remodel. The foyer has been torn out and thus the front door is now locked. The foyer used to have a bell to alert the office someone was there. There is a note on the door instructing visitors to call this # to let them know you are there. I refused. I bang on the door, if you don't answer it's CL1. The next day they're all :censored2: saying why didn't you call. Because I'm not provided a cell phone that's paid by UPS. That's why. So you don't have a cell phone they say? Oh I do, but it's not going to be used to contact you.
I told a condo manager (who wanted me to call him of a resident wasn't home) that I didn't have a cell phone and the damn thing rang in my pocket!

I just smiled, shrugged my shoulders and walked away

BUCN85

So what is the problem? Not a normal situation, but not unheard of if the customer really needs his package.
The problem was I was too busy. That's why I provided a location of where I would be if they wanted to meet. Apparently OMS didn't want to deal with it.

PT Car Washer

The problem was I was too busy. That's why I provided a location of where I would be if they wanted to meet. Apparently OMS didn't want to deal with it.
I would have done the same thing. Meet me at my convenience because I have a job to do. I certainly would do whatever reasonable to help out the customer.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not with my personal phone.

End of conversation

rorojo

I won't call a consignee and I dont have time to meet them. If they aren't in when I get there they can pick it up at the Hub when I return. When I first started driving I would and it was a huge headache.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Some people I will give my number to on my terms. This guy will meet me at my first stop if he needs something bad enough:
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1458099489.139709.jpg

Fragile

Two things.

1. Customers need not know our location, ever. This is a major safety issue. You might get robbed, stuck up, etc. We haul valuable merchandise and people know it. Imagine having a customer meet you on the day of a iPhone release, for example.

2. It's the OMS's job to call customers, not ours.