Instructed to do something illegal

A

anonymous6

drivers who move such equipment or knowingly drive illegally do not understand the liability issues involved. you get in an accident and the company will have to pay millions if you injured or kill someone.

that's just for starters. the driver will lose his or her license and also face criminal charges such as criminal negligence and or vehicular manslaughter.

pass that info along to the freakin brown noses.

W

want to retire

drivers who move such equipment or knowingly drive illegally do not understand the liability issues involved. you get in an accident and the company will have to pay millions if you injured or kill someone.

that's just for starters. the driver will lose his or her license and also face criminal charges such as criminal negligence and or vehicular manslaughter.

pass that info along to the freakin brown noses.

Yep. The bigger issue is the fact that a feeder manager would pressure an employee, not only pressure but direct he/she to knowingly break the law! Should be fired on the spot. Really want someone like this directing our business? He is also the type guy that keeps showing up like a bad penny(has quite a past....)

Let's be clear in pointing out that the OP was discussing moving a trailer with an expired fhwa. While illegal it doesn't automatically render the trailer unsafe. A brand new trl from the factory will have an expired sticker in 12 months. There probably isn't a feeder driver that hasn't moved one. What needs to have a rock solid backing from both the union and the company is the trailers being moved , voluntarily or coerced, with mechanical problems that do render them unsafe and a risk to all. It should not be tolerated by either side.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yep. The bigger issue is the fact that a feeder manager would pressure an employee, not only pressure but direct he/she to knowingly break the law! Should be fired on the spot. Really want someone like this directing our business? He is also the type guy that keeps showing up like a bad penny(has quite a past....)

So you agree then that a Union driver who does knowingly that is illegal should be fired on the spot?

beentheredonethat

I asked the question of "who is responsible?" because I have a hazy recollection of the process. I actually used to audit this during compliance assessments. My hazy recollection is that the responsibility goes to the last driver or shifter or hub supervisor who dealt with the trailer. As soon as there is one package in the trailer during the hub operation, the responsibility shifts to the hub. The supervisor is supposed to check the road worthiness of the trailer prior to loading. But a driver or shifter should check it before putting it in the line up.

I was a hub coordinator. Granted that was a looooong time ago. I never recall once being instructed to check the expiration date of a trailer. We checked trailer number, that the trailer was truly empty, was clean of debris, had no visible holes in ceiling etc. But never recall anything about inspection stickers.

W

want to retire

The trailer's progress should be stopped when found to be out of compliance......like a damaged or say leaking package. The trailer could be towed($) to it's destination. The trailer could be inspected and sent to it's destination. The trailer could be unloaded. The company chose to send the trailer illegally to it's destination. A long string of errors and bad decisions. All in the name of numbers. A common theme.

959Nanook

So you agree then that a Union driver who does knowingly that is illegal should be fired on the spot?

Are we speaking of a Teamster who notified his management team or of a Teamster that didn't notify his management team when we answer this question in a situation like the one raised by the OP? Did you mean this in a more general sense when a Teamster does something illegal? I understood the question to be a response to want to retire's comment that the Feeder Manager should be fired for DIRECTING a Teamster to break the law. Personally, I don't think that firing the Feeder Manager is appropriate but I don't think half of the attempted Terminations of Teamsters that I have seen are appropriate either. Go figure, they overreact to many things that flag in reports or have an impact on management's bonus compensation and fail to respond to many things that should be addressed because they don't flag in a report or have an impact on the management's bonus compensation.

Personally, I had this occur with a package car rather recently and I handed the DVIR to my Supervisor so he could sign off that I was being directed to use expired equipment. Along the line of thought expressed by cachsux, I reasoned that expired does not inherently necessitate that it is unsafe. I informed my Supervisor that is was begging for a law enforcement officer to pull me over for expired tags because the sticker colors were a visual indicator that the registration was expired.

If I had made contact with law enforcement or commercial enforcement then I would have dealt with my consequences. Philosophically, I realize that my Supervisor's signature does not relieve me of any legal responsibility. I did and do feel it relieves me of some responsibility with UPS insofar as discipline is concerned and the truth is that my job is on the line on a regular basis and commercial enforcement hasn't pulled me over so I made/make a judgment call about where to fight my battles. I can see where some might think I made a bad judgment call. I wasn't happy to be put in the situation and I wasn't entirely at ease with my judgment call. I do feel that every Teamster that was dispatched with that truck since it had expired should have been given a written counseling for improper Pre-Trip at a minimum but that is not my call nor my place to recommend.

Last edited:
W

want to retire

Are we speaking of a Teamster who notified his management team or of a Teamster that didn't notify his management team when we answer this question in a situation like the one raised by the OP? Did you mean this in a more general sense when a Teamster does something illegal? I understood the question to be a response to want to retire's comment that the Feeder Manager should be fired for DIRECTING a Teamster to break the law. Personally, I don't think that firing the Feeder Manager is appropriate but I don't think half of the attempted Terminations of Teamsters that I have seen are appropriate either. Go figure, they overreact to many things that flag in reports or have an impact on management's bonus compensation and fail to respond to many things that should be addressed because they don't flag in a report or have an impact on the management's bonus compensation.

Personally, I had this occur with a package car rather recently and I handed the DVIR to my Supervisor so he could sign off that I was being directed to use expired equipment. Along the line of thought expressed by cachsux, I reasoned that expired does not inherently necessitate that it is unsafe. I informed my Supervisor that is was begging for a law enforcement officer to pull me over for expired tags because the sticker colors were a visual indicator that the registration was expired.

If I had made contact with law enforcement or commercial enforcement then I would have dealt with my consequences. Philosophically, I realize that my Supervisor's signature does not relieve me of any legal responsibility. I did and do feel it relieves me of some responsibility with UPS insofar as discipline is concerned and the truth is that my job is on the line on a regular basis and commercial enforcement hasn't pulled me over so I made/make a judgment call about where to fight my battles. I can see where some might think I made a bad judgment call. I wasn't happy to be put in the situation and I wasn't entirely at ease with my judgment call. I do feel that every Teamster that was dispatched with that truck since it had expired should have been given a written counseling for improper Pre-Trip at a minimum but that is not my call nor my place to recommend.

You said nothing, did nothing. Your solution does nothing to solve the problem. You sound and act like a Liberal. Rather or not. The trailer should have been stopped until a legal solution is found.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

come on with the rest of it......

Nothing more ... just wanted to know if you believed in equitable treatment or Double Standards?

Nothing more ... just wanted to know if you believed in equitable treatment or Double Standards?

You said "knowingly" in your previous statement. That means making a choice on ones own. Where I would have no problem terminating someone is the member of management, and I have seen it firsthand, who threatens someones employment if they don't move the trailer. I haven't seen too many union workers tell management that they will lose their job if the driver isn't allowed to move the trailer. Lack of common sense on either side should get the attention it deserves to educate the offender on the implications. Coercion on the other hand should be a cardinal sin and dealt with in the appropriate manor.

W

want to retire

Oh I believe. What I did say is that we shouldn't have an unscrupulous mgt person making decisions. He is that. That trailer made service and the circle of bad decisions, illegality and risk was complete.......just so his numbers didn't take a hit. Proud of that?

Mr Shifter

Wth. I don't even know what you are all talking about. I've hooked up and moved trailers thousands of times and haven't noticed a sticker. o_O

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Oh I believe. What I did say is that we shouldn't have an unscrupulous mgt person making decisions. He is that. That trailer made service and the circle of bad decisions, illegality and risk was complete.......just so his numbers didn't take a hit. Proud of that?

Nothing to be proud of ... just another day in the bag.

Double Standards ... just as I thought. Nothing wrong with that since management enjoys Double Standards all the time.

UPS Lifer

I am sure the feeder department will get heat but it is the hub manager that takes the hit initially. The hub has to reload. The feeder dept might not make service on the trailer and that is where they will take the hit.

W

want to retire

Nothing to be proud of ... just another day in the bag.

Double Standards ... just as I thought. Nothing wrong with that since management enjoys Double Standards all the time.

No double standard here. Whoever pulled that trailer should get the same conseqence. But as usual......you don't address the problem. The mgt. Yes, another day in the bag.....another failure. Que sera.

W

want to retire

As a prologue......There was an awful TT fatality here(not UPS) yesterday.. Closed the highway for a day, destroyed a bridge.....let's say our illegal trailer was involved or caused the fatality.......what would dawn bring today? See?

UPS Lifer

As a prologue......There was an awful TT fatality here(not UPS) yesterday.. Closed the highway for a day, destroyed a bridge.....let's say our illegal trailer was involved or caused the fatality.......what would dawn bring today? See?

Most of us don't live in the land of hypothetical and conjecture.