Insurance after 65

Questions

49300421-0D95-4DCA-B119-3C9F193CEFF1.png

Shiftless

First off? How about a little more info?

What Teamster area or Conference is your retirement covered under? Every area is different,
even within retirement plans.

Age now?

Are you retired now? or Gonna retire at some point?

I am guessing you are under the same plan as I am based on the Aetna issue.

You need to do some serious thinking and or may need advice on how to approach the "65: age
plan change. Based on current health , expected health and or related genetic tendencies you were passed along!

My spouse just hit that mark and we are now both in the same retirement plan of 65 years of age
and older retired group. She was able to stay on the regular Aetna plan even tho I have been on the retired plan for years.
We stayed with it mostly due to the prescription benefits. They made the most sense for
us at "This Point in our Live's" and possible future. Best part is Medicare accepts this and allows this to happen
so that when you decide you want to opt back into Medicare options you are considered to have been in "a qualified plan" and they don't fine your Medicare costs for the rest of your life. You need to ask Aetna to send you the paper work showing Medicare approves of their medical plan while you are opted out and under a certified and accepted medical plan! This is so you don't get fined down the road if you have opted out and want to get back into Medicare option plans! It should show on file, but if it doesn't? You are gonna have issues. Have that in writing!!

Here is an example of what can happen: A good friend of mine when he hit that magic "65" number stayed on. His wife chose not to. A year later she now has to take a drug for the rest of her life that is crazy expensive and they wish she hadn't left the plan and taken a Medicare provided option plan, as now it costs them more than if she stayed on..

They were told Once you leave the Aetna UPS plan>> NO coming back! YOU ARE OUT!

Where I live, an advantage plan doesn't work for me, maybe in your area it's a possible plus??

Dos Centavo's

Last edited:

Questions

First off? How about a little more info?

What Teamster area or Conference is your retirement covered under? Every area is different,
even within retirement plans.

Age now?

Are you retired now? or Gonna retire at some point?

I am guessing you are under the same plan as I am based on the Aetna issue.

You need to do some serious thinking and or may need advice on how to approach the "65: age
plan change. Based on current health , expected health and or related genetic tendencies you were passed along!

My spouse just hit that mark and we are now both in the same retirement plan of 65 years of age
and older retired group. She was able to stay on the regular Aetna plan even tho I have been on the retired plan for years.
We stayed with it mostly due to the prescription benefits. They made the most sense for
us at "This Point in our Live's" and possible future. Best part is Medicare accepts this and allows this to happen
so that when you decide you want to opt back into Medicare options you are considered to have been in "a qualified plan" and they don't fine your Medicare costs for the rest of your life. You need to ask Aetna to send you the paper work showing Medicare approves of their medical plan while you are opted out and under a certified and accepted medical plan! This is so you don't get fined down the road if you have opted out and want to get back into Medicare option plans! It should show on file, but if it doesn't? You are gonna have issues. Have that in writing!!

Here is an example of what can happen: A good friend of mine when he hit that magic "65" number stayed on. His wife chose not to. A year later she now has to take a drug for the rest of her life that is crazy expensive and they wish she hadn't left the plan and taken a Medicare provided option plan, as now it costs them more than if she stayed on..

They were told Once you leave the Aetna UPS plan>> NO coming back! YOU ARE OUT!

Where I live, an advantage plan doesn't work for me, maybe in your area it's a possible plus??

Dos Centavo's
Will turn 65 in 3 months.
Retired 2013, been on Aetna all the time.
Retired from So. Cal., pension from Western Conference.
Been told the UPS health benefits would be available even if I leave for another insurance. Can always come back.
UPS Benefits also said I must sign up for Medicare because Aetna is a secondary. Not considered as a supplement.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm in Central and in one of the few locals with Aetna instead of Teamcare. I have no option of staying with Aetna after 65. I have to switch to Medicare then.

Shiftless

Will turn 65 in 3 months.
Retired 2013, been on Aetna all the time.
Retired from So. Cal., pension from Western Conference.
Been told the UPS health benefits would be available even if I leave for another insurance. Can always come back.
UPS Benefits also said I must sign up for Medicare because Aetna is a secondary. Not considered as a supplement.
OK, we retired from same retirement group plan!

I was in So Cal but it is now run by Cen Cal altho still So Cal Teamsters doing the work since I retired. Nucking Futz!

I left 2005. I was told then if I chose to leave the Aetna plan its Done! So must have changed or I got bad intel??
My buddies wife was denied back in, so maybe it has changed??

I too was required to sign up for part A. As Aetna was only secondary to Medicare at age 65 we took no B and stayed with Aetna.

You might want to check on getting the letter to keep on file that the choice not to take "B when you took A at 65" and that you were fully covered under a qualified medical plan and it is in your file or possession! We were told by SS if were not in a accepted/accredited Medicare Medical Plan and chose not to take a type B plan we would be fined for the rest of life for not taking that at age 65 when we started Medicare. Maybe things have changed? Keep us posted.

Congrats on getting out ALIVE!

Last edited:

Questions

As per UPS Benefits service rep, must take Medicare A&B, pay Medicare $165. and also the $150. to UPS Benefits. Then they don’t even pay the 20% not covered by Medicare. I don’t understand, I read through the benefits package plan and I see the bill is $100. Medicare let’s say $75., Aetna will pay $5. because that’s 80%. The last $20. is patient cost. That is the example they give you. Something not right here.

Shiftless

Questions This is why you don't trust anything on this site or at least me!

Glad you are on top of this!

To my horror this morning looking at the thread text I went WTF did I text B for! And I kept doing it!
No excuse! My friend up!!

When I was texting about the B part I totally screwed the pooch! For some reason I was fixated on "B" should have been "D"

I do indeed have part A and B. What I don't have is "D"
The letter from UPS / Aetna is called "Proof of Credible Drug Coverage" in the event I leave the Aetna plan and want to join back into the D part of Medicare its shows proof of continuous coverage.

The Aetna plan covers Drugs, Dental and Vision which is why stayed with the Aetna versus a D plan thru Medicare!

But if I can use and excuse? I was in the middle of researching parts to build my 9 inch on my 57 Ranchero and bouncing in and out of BC. I know no excuse but the gear heads will give me some slack. Maybe?

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I'm @ $768 per month for the wife and I.
A&B , Teamster supplement (100k limit per year, They have paid every nickel medicare hasn't, no questions/no problems) No dental, No vision
Plan D is a joke. I've been getting our maintenance drugs from discountdrugsfromcanada.com