insurance cuts for spouse's

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How does the company decide how to cut? What if a job offers insurance but yoou have to pay for it?

Wally

So are these cuts just for management? I know some years back they purged dependent children of a certain age, off the insurance.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So are these cuts just for management? I know some years back they purged dependent children of a certain age, off the insurance.
Yes. Where did u hear about this? All of the stories I have read clearly state all non union employees. I guess in some places this could include a few other positions than management.

Pacman

I think the new and improved cutting of spousal benefits covers m
​anagement, administrative, all non represented employees. Makes you wonder why we don't get organized since every time UPS saves money they really just find another way to take it from their employees. I don't imagine Casey could foresee quite the fall from grace UPS has experienced into regards to employee relations. Just think what would happen when we decide this is just a job and not give more than we should to make up for shoddy processes, outdated technology, and a distinct lack of leadership.

Fullhouse

When CS figures out that they can save money this way, they also will jump on the band wagon.
Till then, this will serve as an additional purpose.
The media is not indicating which employees this is going to affect. Many low information spouse's will jump to colclusions and demand that their spouse's who voted against leaving UPS insurance change their no vote to a yes vote in order to safe guard their coverage under an assumed protected Teamster provided plan.

Drink Craft Beer

Teamsters put out this statment about 4hrs ago

August 22, 2013 Move To TeamCare Ensures Members Maintain Full Coverage

(Washington, D.C.) – UPS announced yesterday a change in its health care coverage for spouses of nonunion employees. Going forward, UPS will not cover spouses of nonunion employees who are eligible for employer coverage at their workplace. This decision does not impact the health care coverage of Teamsters at UPS.

The recently approved national agreement moves more than 140,000 UPS Teamsters from the UPS company plan to TeamCare, ensuring that Teamster member’s health care benefits are protected for the full five years of the contract.

If those on the UPS plan were allowed to stay on it, they would have been protected also. We wouldn't have to worry about UPS cutting something from the healthcare 2yrs from now because they wouldn't be allowed to in the middle of a contract.

WhereDoIWorkAgain

Being a teamster has its advantages.
Maybe if the teamsters and teamcare are true to their word about benefits being the same as they were previously save that prescriptions are now primarily through cvs. If they are not which is very very possible (see union controlled pension) then things will get screwy.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The guy on the news this morning was surprised by this since UPS has always been perceived as a family friendly company. I almost spit out my Froot Loops.

Wally

What if a union member's spouse had good insurance through their employer? Perhaps another union for example. I see no problem with UPS asking them to use that plan. This is what I thought they were up to.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What if a union member's spouse had good insurance through their employer? Perhaps another union for example. I see no problem with UPS asking them to use that plan. This is what I thought they were up to.

My wife's employer insurance does not provide coverage to spouses that have an option of employee coverage elsewhere. I thought that's what this was about at first too. Im shocked they're just dropping them altogether.

In my wife's case, if you want your spouse covered, you have to submit a notarized affidavit proving they either have no employer health coverage, or the spouse's employer covers less than 50% of the cost of the health insurance they offer. I think this is a trend that will grow a lot in the future, as the ACA does not require employer's to cover spouses.

My wife's employer's contribution to her healthcare has decreased from 80% 10 years ago, to 63% this year. It didn't happen overnight.