insurance cuts for spouse's

feeder05

well they need to cut from somewhere because of Corporates big debacle fo trying to buy TNT of europe. nice job Atlanta....

BrownArmy

I like that they mentioned 'ObamaCare' as the reason...

Of course, that's not really it, but it's a nice soundbite for the press. And maybe a dig at the IBT for supporting Obama...funny - I recall a supervisor (long gone) who advocated (even though the company couldn't really give advice on whom to vote for) that we vote for Obama, you know, for the Unions, and the children, LOL.

This move by corporations to limit double-coverage has been brewing for a looooong time...the fact the UPS is going through with it may signal a green light for other corporations to take the plunge.

Unions and children be damned. :wink2:

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
well they need to cut from somewhere because of Corporates big debacle fo trying to buy TNT of europe. nice job Atlanta....

Apologies in advance for thread derailment, but ...Best of luck to you dawgs against those Pickens County taters next week. I don't want to hear excuses when the hammer falls in Athens on September 7th. #ClowneyComin...

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What if a union member's spouse had good insurance through their employer? Perhaps another union for example. I see no problem with UPS asking them to use that plan. This is what I thought they were up to.

You're forgetting how much many other plans suck. I worked for a large fortune 100 company before I resigned to go full time with UPS. They offered 3 health care plans all of which sucked. The cheapest one cost $260 every 2 weeks for a family and had an annual deductible of $1,500.00 per person with ridiculous copays.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You're forgetting how much many other plans suck. I worked for a large fortune 100 company before I resigned to go full time with UPS. They offered 3 health care plans all of which sucked. The cheapest one cost $260 every 2 weeks for a family and had an annual deductible of $1,500.00 per person with ridiculous copays.

My wife's employer covers 63% of the cost. The good family plan with $25 copays is $383.14 every 2 weeks. If you get the one with a deductible it is $335.18 every 2 weeks. No dental, No vision.

I factor that into my lousy pt-timer wage, and I feel a whole lot better about my job.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
In Mass. someone with no insurance gets a fine/jail time .
Obumacare states that someone with no insurance gets another fine .
Would this be a double tax for this same thing ?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
In Mass. someone with no insurance gets a fine/jail time .
Obumacare states that someone with no insurance gets another fine .
Would this be a double tax for this same thing ?

Its one or the other, not both. If you dont have healthcare, you need to register for it, or get the fine. If you have healthcare, you dont need to register, you still will be fined. I think they want everyone to register anyways just for the paper work. Which will cost a trillion dollars just to get rolling on paper.

I personally think Obamacare is going to get shot down. They keep delaying it over and over again, because they know its going to cripple the country moreso.

Overall this healthcare is going to flood the market cause even more slow wait times in ER rooms and slower docter visits, alike Canada.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My wife's employer insurance does not provide coverage to spouses that have an option of employee coverage elsewhere. I thought that's what this was about at first too. Im shocked they're just dropping them altogether.

​where are u getting your info? All spouses are NOT being dropped. Only ones whose employer offers health care coverage.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
​where are u getting your info? All spouses are NOT being dropped. Only ones whose employer offers health care coverage.

Yes I realize this now. In regards to where I was getting it from, almost every news story about this issue for the first couple days. UPS did a real bad job at controlling this PR failure, and many news outlets ran with it, and they didn't include a lot of facts.

It wasn't until the fourth or fifth article I read about this, that the writer actually put in a quote from UPS's memo, stating that they would still be covering unemployed and non-covered spouses. Some articles even fail to mention it doesn't affect union employees. I've had to explain the situation to a lot of people who know I work for UPS.

Not sure if it is just a really bad PR situation, or the right trying to control the conversation and blame Obamacare. Either way, as usual the media was short on facts and tall on the sensationalism.

Bankrupt

Yes I realize this now. In regards to where I was getting it from, almost every news story about this issue for the first couple days. UPS did a real bad job at controlling this PR failure, and many news outlets ran with it, and they didn't include a lot of facts.It wasn't until the fourth or fifth article I read about this, that the writer actually put in a quote from UPS's memo, stating that they would still be covering unemployed and non-covered spouses. Some articles even fail to mention it doesn't affect union employees. I've had to explain the situation to a lot of people who know I work for UPS.Not sure if it is just a really bad PR situation, or the right trying to control the conversation and blame Obamacare. Either way, as usual the media was short on facts and tall on the sensationalism.
Fed Ex did this a few years ago when they stopped offering the employee spouse tiered plan. To cover your spouse you must choose the family medical plan whether you have children our not.It amazes me how FedEx seem to skirt any scrutiny in the media. We obviously have a much better PR dept than UPS. Our mgr this morning actually brought up the UPS insurance situation I had to inform we did this several years ago.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Yes. Where did u hear about this? All of the stories I have read clearly state all non union employees. I guess in some places this could include a few other positions than management.

I found out over the course of the week that, the public at large doesn't understand the difference. I was asked several times about it this week. My response: "Doesn't apply to me." My wife even had coworkers confront her about it. She had to explain the difference between a Union employee and a non-Union employee. Ahh, to live in a RTW for less state.

I also noticed that, Annee or Seini, or whoever posted something on Facebook about something called Safe Driving Olympics (never heard of it). Amongst the usual, "UPS sucks, I never got my package..." comments, several folks called UPS out for punishing its "hard working" labor force. I lol'd at the idea that adjusting your tie, updating your FB status, printing out moronic SSPVE reports, and instructing drivers to enter VX3 into the OJS field of their DIAD could be construed as hard work.

afterthought

I was also asked yesterday about this.

It has shaken up some people that do not work for UPS.

A few that asked said, as UPS does, some other large Corporations follow.

Omega man

It's just more bad press for UPS.
This further limits UPS' abiliity to draw capable people to work for them.
If it is all abuse and only marginal pay and benefits as the reward, who will want to work for them?
For many years now, UPS management has not been an equitable choice for those looking to move out of the hourly ranks.
As these type of plans are put in place, other skilled potential employees, will not see UPS as a viable company to work for.

oldupsman

This whole thing has become a total PR disaster for them. It's the kind of mistake they never would have made 15 years ago.
The last thing they need is word getting out this contract isn't really being close to being settled. Once these supplements get shot
down again, and I predict they will, though 1 or 2 might pass, you won't hear a peep from either side until after peak.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I had 2 older gentlemen the other day ask me as I approached a neighboring condo building what my wife thought about it. I told them it doesn't matter, cause she's not on mine anyway ( I didn't know it was management only @ the time). Later in the day I realized I should have just looked at them and said "You mean my husband?" I figure that would shut them right up.

Side note, does this mean that since they are saving money that the SPC will decrease? Routes going out with over 200 stops in the summer is CRAZY.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The are really pushing the line as to if people will continue to go into management. We already have them forcing people to become driver sups in my area. The more they cut the harder it will be to find someone to do the job.