insurance cuts for spouse's

UPSGUY72

The are really pushing the line as to if people will continue to go into management. We already have them forcing people to become driver sups in my area. The more they cut the harder it will be to find someone to do the job.

There are always some people that will think the grass is greener on the other side not matter what anyone tells them truth is.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
In Mass. someone with no insurance gets a fine/jail time .
Obumacare states that someone with no insurance gets another fine .
Would this be a double tax for this same thing ?
Not exactly. You get a penalty when filing your state income taxes. You can't get jail time in MA.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Its one or the other, not both. If you dont have healthcare, you need to register for it, or get the fine. If you have healthcare, you dont need to register, you still will be fined. I think they want everyone to register anyways just for the paper work. Which will cost a trillion dollars just to get rolling on paper.

I personally think Obamacare is going to get shot down. They keep delaying it over and over again, because they know its going to cripple the country moreso.

Overall this healthcare is going to flood the market cause even more slow wait times in ER rooms and slower docter visits, alike Canada.

You're a conservative's wet dream. Obamacare is much worse than a universal care system, but free-market health care costs, not Obamacare, is what is crippling our system. If we had a true, free-market system, then relief might be in sight, but we don't. We have a capitalistic system that is based on how much power and money a company can wield, not how much merit or function it can bring. Our entire military is a picture perfect example of how favor, not common sense, makes capitalism go round. Our health care system is exactly the same, and it was before Obamacare came on-line.

Last edited:

Dracula

Yes I realize this now. In regards to where I was getting it from, almost every news story about this issue for the first couple days. UPS did a real bad job at controlling this PR failure, and many news outlets ran with it, and they didn't include a lot of facts.

It wasn't until the fourth or fifth article I read about this, that the writer actually put in a quote from UPS's memo, stating that they would still be covering unemployed and non-covered spouses. Some articles even fail to mention it doesn't affect union employees. I've had to explain the situation to a lot of people who know I work for UPS.

Not sure if it is just a really bad PR situation, or the right trying to control the conversation and blame Obamacare. Either way, as usual the media was short on facts and tall on the sensationalism.

This wasn't bad PR, this was a calculated move by Big Corporate. I've got news for you: UPS was going to do this long before Obamacare came into existence. Obamacare just makes a real convenient excuse for UPS to bring this idea to fruition. Management has been paying a percentage of their insurance premiums for a while now. If Obamacare had been in place when they made managers pay for some of their insurance, they would have blamed Obamacare for it.

Dracula

Fed Ex did this a few years ago when they stopped offering the employee spouse tiered plan. To cover your spouse you must choose the family medical plan whether you have children our not.It amazes me how FedEx seem to skirt any scrutiny in the media. We obviously have a much better PR dept than UPS. Our mgr this morning actually brought up the UPS insurance situation I had to inform we did this several years ago.

No, UPS decided to blame this decision--which was obviously long in the works--on Obamacare. UPS is taking a chance that Obamacare will take over the conversation, rather than their decision to omit family members off UPS plans. It might work.

Dracula

It's just more bad press for UPS.
This further limits UPS' abiliity to draw capable people to work for them.
If it is all abuse and only marginal pay and benefits as the reward, who will want to work for them?
For many years now, UPS management has not been an equitable choice for those looking to move out of the hourly ranks.
As these type of plans are put in place, other skilled potential employees, will not see UPS as a viable company to work for.

Disagree. This is a calculated decision by UPS to blame Obamacare for their decision to drop family members who have insurance from their jobs. Judging from polls, it might work. But I can guarantee this: UPS was going to do this regardless of Obamacare getting passed.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This wasn't bad PR, this was a calculated move by Big Corporate. I've got news for you: UPS was going to do this long before Obamacare came into existence. Obamacare just makes a real convenient excuse for UPS to bring this idea to fruition. Management has been paying a percentage of their insurance premiums for a while now. If Obamacare had been in place when they made managers pay for some of their insurance, they would have blamed Obamacare for it.

That's not news to me. It was bad PR though. Even with blaming Obama, it makes them look bad, most people don't know how bad lower mgmt is treated at UPS. I will say that what management pays for their healthcare is far less than what most people pay in my experience.

When the story gained traction, they could have come out and explained it was only affecting spouses who don't get coverage elsewhere, and they could have compared the percentage they pay into an employee's healthcare to what other companies pay. Instead, as far as I can tell, they didn't say anything at all.

Dracula

That's not news to me. It was bad PR though. Even with blaming Obama, it makes them look bad, most people don't know how bad lower mgmt is treated at UPS. I will say that what management pays for their healthcare is far less than what most people pay in my experience.

When the story gained traction, they could have come out and explained it was only affecting spouses who don't get coverage elsewhere, and they could have compared the percentage they pay into an employee's healthcare to what other companies pay. Instead, as far as I can tell, they didn't say anything at all.

I disagree. This makes them look like Obamacare is behind this decision, when it clearly isn't. And most people STILL don't know how lower mgmt is treated. What they pay isn't even an issue. This is poor, poor big business VS. those meanies in the Obama administration. I've seen no fallout on UPS's side. It puts the pressure back on Obamacare, if you ask me, no matter the truth.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I disagree. This makes them look like Obamacare is behind this decision, when it clearly isn't. And most people STILL don't know how lower mgmt is treated. What they pay isn't even an issue. This is poor, poor big business VS. those meanies in the Obama administration. I've seen no fallout on UPS's side. It puts the pressure back on Obamacare, if you ask me, no matter the truth.
UPS: “Since the Affordable Care Act requires employers to provide affordable coverage, we believe your spouse should be covered by their own employer — just as U.P.S. has a responsibility to offer coverage to you, our employee.”

If it's not about what they pay, what is wrong with dropping spouses who can get coverage through their own employer?
Yes UPS has wanted to do this before obamacare, like every other company no doubt. Obamacare has made sure spouses with full time jobs will now get coverage through their own employer. Some spouses will now have an inferior, higher cost plan than they did before. It is just a side affect of the ACA, you have to take the good with the bad.

What What

OBAMA Care

Whats this that I hear on the radio. That next year UPS is dropping our spouse from our benefit, because of OBAMA care coming into play in Oct. 1st this year.

scoutlover

What about non-union, full time drivers in a RTW state? We have several in our building and I was wondering what will happen to them.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What about non-union, full time drivers in a RTW state? We have several in our building and I was wondering what will happen to them.

There was a rumor going around my hub that this would affect the scabs, but that would open up IBT to all sorts of lawsuits and injunctions under the Taft-Hartley act. It would be illegal to provide a different level of health insurance coverage to non-members in the same bargaining unit.

That being said, I'm holding out hope that some of their paperwork gets "misplaced" and they have to spend a lot more time and effort getting claims approved when we switch over to TeamCare. I'd never want to see someone being denied health coverage when they need it - scab or not - but they should definitely have to deal with the typical "insurance merry-go-round" on the phone.