Insurance questions

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
So when I started I opted not to pick up health insurance, because I'm covered on my husband's. I didn't see the point at the time, but now we're talking about expanding the family. How well does the health insurance cover? I'm quite accustomed to his BCBS coverage and am not 100% if the cost and coverage are worthwhile. Honestly, I'm not even sure who the insurance provider is for UPS management since I opted out. Any advice is appreciated!

beentheredonethat

The first item is you can only opt in during enrollment period which is generally the 4th quarter to take effect in January. The one exception to that rule is if something significant happens (i forget the legal term). Things such as your insurance through your spouse is lost (due to job loss etc).

There are two insurance plans for non union. A low cost (per month) plan that has a high deductible, and a high cost plan that has low deductibles. Their are pros and cons on each one.
Both plans cover a physical for free.

The low cost plan (high deductible plan) includes your Rx cost as part of your deductible and OOP max (out of pocket). The low cost plan (low deductible) does not. However, Rx is covered immediately (so if you take expensive medicine the high cost plan has no cap on how much you spend for Rx, but the high deductible plan does.

There are so many variables, there is no one right answer for everyone, and you really need to review the options come this 4th quarter.

Personally, I switched two years ago from the high cost (low deductible plan) to the low cost (high deductible plan). I ended up putting the difference in money into a HSA and I pay my dr copays or my RX costs with that HSA credit card. Fortunately that money can only be used for Dentist visits, Eye dr visits\glasses that isn't already covered by insurance. I found that I was able to keep my monthly bill the same, but now I was able to pay for a lot more out of pocket items with before tax dollars. Also, I have money saved in that savings account and it can roll from year to year. (You can even use it in retirement).

elo

So my husband's insurance is basically 4 different providers. BCBS health insurance, VSP vision, Aetna dental, and Caremark for prescriptions. We had a HRA plan before and it was fairly stressful when I had to go on an extremely pricey medication for a few months. The HRA did reimburse us about 2 weeks later, but it was a lot out of pocket. Under the HRA it did not roll over, so we lost money the 2 years we were under that plan. Now that the company he works for has changed ownership they no longer offer the HRA plan, so we are now on a higher cost lower deductible plan. It does cover things that our old plan would not. Our dental is still junk, there are only 2 dentists in a 20 mile radius that are Aetna preferred providers, but UPS is no different. I did pick up dental last year, but that's because the 80% plan was better than anything offered by UTC. I am 99% sure that I will be adding the health insurance this enrollment period. We have some life changing things happening in the next few months so I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions between now and then.

beentheredonethat

Our mgmt health insurance plan is almost identical in terms of providers. VSP for vision, Aetna for dental, UHC for medical and CVS\Caremark for Rx. The big issue is what the cost is vs coverage. I know with the low cost\high deductible plan we get a Mastercard credit card for our out of pockets that we replenish with the money we elect to put into the HSA each pay period. It's nice paying for it in this format. The big issue (IMO) is that day 1 of when you sign up there is no money in the HSA. As you know, some medical procedures\dental\Rx can be expensive. Usually it's not a big deal once time has passed and you have a decent amount in your HSA. If I recall correctly, with the low deductible \high cost plan, you paid out of pocket and the system reimbursed you into your checking account the money later (usually within a month).

elo

We are expecting! So when should I let the fts know? I know professionally they should be the first to know, but my biggest concern is when. I already have restrictions limiting me to not lifting anything over 30 lbs from mono and a swollen spleen. I kinda sound like a nightmare to work with, but as a PCS the only pkgs I deal with are high values or EAMs. Most of the EAMs are lab packs and weigh 2 lbs or less. I'm due after peak...

Sent using BrownCafe App

beentheredonethat

First off congratulations... Second, I don't know what the "rules" are for notification. I suggest notifying him after you've notified family but before he\she finds out by word of mouth.

elo

Thanks! I believe I'm going to wait a few more weeks.

So next insurance question, since I opted out of medical coverage but have dental am I considered covered by the flex benefits? Mainly my concern is short-terms disability coverage. If I am not already covered I cannot be covered by short-term this enrollment period because the pregnancy is preexisting. Short-term disability is not considered medical so preexisting conditions are not given a second thought. I read the plan summary & cannot find anything that gives me specifics. I should probably call HRCS, but I wanted to ask here first.

Sent using BrownCafe App

beentheredonethat

In my area, mgmt health benefits are with UHC. GO to upsers.com and it can take you to info about benefits including FAQ. Don't rely on a discussion board about benefits. Verify yourself. Even then I've gotten bad advice when dealing in person with UHC people.

elo

I didn't plan on it. Just trying to gather some firsthand insight and potential advice to arm myself before contacting HR .

Sent using BrownCafe App

beentheredonethat

I suggest if you t/w HR.. to do it in writing. Or if in person and then followup in writing of what was discussed. ex email to HR saying Jack\Jane (whomever). Thanks for talk, I just want to reiterate what we discussed. Then list them.. Did I miss anything or was anything incorrect? That way if something is wrong, you have proof of what they said.