Integrad question

So, I'm scheduled to attend Integrad and have been given a packet of safety questions to memorize. I know that the 5 seeing habits must be memorized verbatim, but what about the 10 point commentary? I was given the 10 point commentary list with a paragraph explaining each on point. Do I need to memorize the paragraphs as well or just the 10 points?

Gonzo0082

i went through it a few months ago. you need to remember everything, even punctuation. at least with the instructor i had, plus he had us all remember extra key phrases for the 10 points.

where did you attend integrad? The sheet with the 10 point commentary that HR gave me doesn't have key phrases but the 5 seeing habits do. I know the ten point commentary as:

1. Leave at least 1 car length between you and the car in front of you at all traffic stops
2. Look left, right, left before start up at all intersections.
3. Count 1,2,3 before startup after the car infront of you has started up.
4. 4-6 second follow time for speeds under 30mph, 6-8 second follow time for speeds over 30mph.
5. Check your mirrors every 5-8 seconds.
6. Scan for moving steering wheels.
7. Establish point of decision for stale green light.
8. 8-12 second eye lead time.
9. Look over your left shoulder when pulling from a curb.
10. Establish and maintain eye contact until out of danger zone.

What else do i need to know as far as the 10point commentary goes?

See, I've never seen it defined in that way... And I have 4 different versions of the 10 point commentary, each one is number in a different order and phrased differently. The 10 point commentary I am given just says:

6. SCAN STEERING WHEELS
Look and see whether or not cars at the curb are occupied. This is the only time they are a threat. If they are occupied the driver is probably about to exit from the car or pull out from the curb.

S

splozi

5. Check your mirrors every 5-8 seconds.

5-8 seconds? Do these people realize how long 5-8 seconds really is? I probably look at one mirror every 3 seconds max. Maybe I'm just paranoid of people following me...

6. SCAN STEERING WHEELS
Look and see whether or not cars at the curb are occupied. This is the only time they are a threat. If they are occupied the driver is probably about to exit from the car or pull out from the curb.

Is this verbatim or your own wording? If it's verbatim, I want to say the person who wrote this needs an English lesson, unless I'm the one who needs an English lesson. "Look and see" does not sound right. Shouldn't it be "Look to see"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

5-8 seconds? Do these people realize how long 5-8 seconds really is? I probably look at one mirror every 3 seconds max. Maybe I'm just paranoid of people following me...

Think of it as a triangle--start at the left mirror, go to the windshield and then to the right mirror. If you are spending no more than 3 seconds per mirror you are right in the 5-8 seconds guideline.

Is this verbatim or your own wording? If it's verbatim, I want to say the person who wrote this needs an English lesson, unless I'm the one who needs an English lesson. "Look and see" does not sound right. Shouldn't it be "Look to see"?

It is "look to see". The gist is if you see anyone in the car or exhaust coming from the vehicle there is a chance the person is either getting ready to exit the car or pull in to traffic.

I have never been to Integrad but know that during a Keter audit you need to know the 5 keys verbatim and need to have a working knowledge of the 10 point commentary.

Gonzo0082

just to give you an idea of what i had to remember i will write the first couple.

10 pt commentary:
rule 1: starting up at intersection.
explain: look left, right left, check mirrors. look left the second time because thats the lane closest to you in your travel path.
key phrase: keeps you alive at intersections.

rule 2: when stopped in traffic.
explain: a car length of space is required from the vehicle ahead. this allows you to pull around should it stall or make a turn. you never want to be put in a situation where you need to back.
key phrase: have an escape route.

and so on.

Gonzo0082

Think of it as a triangle--start at the left mirror, go to the windshield and then to the right mirror. If you are spending no more than 3 seconds per mirror you are right in the 5-8 seconds guideline. never go mirror to mirror, mirror to gauge, gauge to gauge, or gauge to mirror. so for instance check left mirror then look ahead then check right mirror. check your speed then look ahead then check you right mirror. always be aware of whats infront of you.

It is "look to see". The gist is if you see anyone in the car or exhaust coming from the vehicle there is a chance the person is either getting ready to exit the car or pull in to traffic.
ways to tell if a vehicle is occupied are if the wheels are turned out, exhaust, brake lights, turn signals, or you actually see someone. always treat an unoccupied vehicle like one that is occupied. so always expect the unexpected.

I have never been to Integrad but know that during a Keter audit you need to know the 5 keys verbatim and need to have a working knowledge of the 10 point commentary.

1. START UP AT INTERSECTION
Look left, right, left. Check rear view mirrors

2. WHEN STOPPED IN TRAFFIC
When stopped in traffic, a car length of space is required from the vehicle ahead. This will allow enough space to pull your car around the vehicle ahead if it should stall and will give you an instant cushion if it should make a turn.

3. COUNT ONE-TWO-THREE AFTER VEHICLE AHEAD HAS STARTED TO MOVE
This step is to be followed when stopped at an intersection behind another vehicle. Check rear view mirrors.

4. FOUR TO SIX SECONDS FOLLOWING TIME FOR SPEEDS UNDER 30MPH, 6-8 SECONDS FOR SPEEDS OVER 30MPH.
This is to keep you from getting a fixation on the car head and to allow time to obtain and hold the proper eye-lead time.

5. EIGHT TO TWELVE SECONDS EYE-LEAD TIME
This is the best way to kept your eyes ahead of your wheels and is the depth at which your eyes should be focused most of the time.

6. SCAN STEERING WHEELS

7. STALE GREEN LIGHT
The point of decision is an imaginary line that you set up between your vehicle and the crosswalk when you are approaching an intersection with a stale green light. Since you are not sure of the light, you must be sure of the point behind which you will stop if the light should start to change. This helps you get the big picture.

8. EYE CONTACT
When you must depend on anyone along the edge of your driving path to stay put until you are past the danger point, it is imperative that you get their attention. The horn and lights are your communication tools when you do not have eye contact. Proper use of the horn to express a friendly message seems in many instances to be a lost art. Only when you have eye contact can you expect the other person to act in a reasonably predictable manner to avoid a dangerous situation.

9. PULLING FROM A CURB
Glance over left shoulder when pulling from curb.

10. USE OF MIRRORS
As a rule of thumb, once every 5-8 seconds.

This is the 10 point commentary sheet that I was given by HR. I don't have any "Key Phrases" that are with it. So basically Gonzo, I need to memorize this sheet instead of the Depth of Knowledge cards that they give drivers that has the 10 point and 5 seeing habits on it.

Gonzo0082

yeah basically, again the instructor when i went to class made us all remember the key phrases for the 10 pt but he gave us a paper the second day we were there that had them on it. but then there were other people from my building that went and they didnt have to memorize the extra stuff so it does depend on the instructor. the yellow little cards that have the 5 seeing habits on one saide and the 10 pt on the other doesnt match up word for word to the other sheet. so he still gave us all the card but said this card is a guide, but to know everything else word for word

DSJohnson1982

Below is what I had when I attended Integrad in Laurel MD. The 5 Seeing habbits word for word and the ten point I have listed below word for word. Memorize these two things before you go and try to test out on these on the first day so you can put that behind you. Also as soon as you get the paper work for integration station memorize the addresses which will help you when you go out on the course. Try to study your DVIR(pre-truck inspection) which is pretty easy just point out everything you see and do it fast cause you only have 2 mins to get all done and youll be fine. Biggest thing is to just memorize the 5 and 10 before you go and test out asap so you have the rest of the week to focus on the rest and you'll be fine.

1. START UP AT INTERSECTION
Look left, right, left. Check rear view mirrors

2. WHEN STOPPED IN TRAFFIC
When stopped in traffic, a car length of space is required from the vehicle ahead. This will allow enough space to pull your car around the vehicle ahead if it should stall and will give you an instant cushion if it should make a turn.

3. COUNT ONE-TWO-THREE AFTER VEHICLE AHEAD HAS STARTED TO MOVE
This step is to be followed when stopped at an intersection behind another vehicle. Check rear view mirrors.

4. FOUR TO SIX SECONDS FOLLOWING TIME FOR SPEEDS UNDER 30MPH, 6-8 SECONDS FOR SPEEDS OVER 30MPH.
This is to keep you from getting a fixation on the car head and to allow time to obtain and hold the proper eye-lead time.

5. EIGHT TO TWELVE SECONDS EYE-LEAD TIME
This is the best way to kept your eyes ahead of your wheels and is the depth at which your eyes should be focused most of the time.

6. SCAN STEERING WHEELS

7. STALE GREEN LIGHT
The point of decision is an imaginary line that you set up between your vehicle and the crosswalk when you are approaching an intersection with a stale green light. Since you are not sure of the light, you must be sure of the point behind which you will stop if the light should start to change. This helps you get the big picture.

8. EYE CONTACT
When you must depend on anyone along the edge of your driving path to stay put until you are past the danger point, it is imperative that you get their attention. The horn and lights are your communication tools when you do not have eye contact. Proper use of the horn to express a friendly message seems in many instances to be a lost art. Only when you have eye contact can you expect the other person to act in a reasonably predictable manner to avoid a dangerous situation.

9. PULLING FROM A CURB
Glance over left shoulder when pulling from curb.

10. USE OF MIRRORS
As a rule of thumb, once every 5-8 seconds.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't back---if you must back, back first and to the drivers side.

Scan the area you will be backing in to.

Tap your horn continuously during the back.

Use the camera as a third mirror.

Gonzo0082

Don't back---if you must back, back first and to the drivers side.

Scan the area you will be backing in to.

Tap your horn continuously during the back.

Use the camera as a third mirror.

also i was told when you need to back after you scan the area, back with a sense of urgency. but no faster than the pace of a brisk walk.
doing that will help keep anything from changing behind you.

for any seasoned drivers; is that actually how we should do it? please correct me if im wrong as it will help me also

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

also i was told when you need to back after you scan the area, back with a sense of urgency. but no faster than the pace of a brisk walk.
doing that will help keep anything from changing behind you.

for any seasoned drivers; is that actually how we should do it? please correct me if im wrong as it will help me also

When you pull up to a delivery stop that requires you to back you should position the PC so that you can scan the area that you are going to back in to from the drivers door. If the area is clear you should back to the drivers side, which is the preferred way to back. Back at a controlled speed and tap the horn every 3 seconds or so. Use the camera as a third mirror and, with practice, you should be able to position your PC squarely on a loading dock with little to no impact.

BCFan

Don't sweat it there is nothing in the contract or supplements that say we have to be parrots tell em to pound sand....BC

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't sweat it there is nothing in the contract or supplements that say we have to be parrots tell em to pound sand....BC

Not necessarily good advice for a P/T trying to go driving.
If they follow your suggestion, they will most likely be waiting another year before they get a chance to go driving.
Besides, I made my daughter do the same thing before she could drive by herself.