Integrity issues

Ron Carey lives on

My dispatcher is also in charge of our centers payroll. I've got a paper trail of shaving time and seriously screwing up part-time employees checks. I can pull the trigger anytime I want. He has over 25 years in, and a family. Im not sure if he is lazy, or this is done out of malice. I know they will not hesitate to fire an hourly for dishonesty. Just curious how much this going on in other centers

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
My dispatcher is also in charge of our centers payroll. I've got a paper trail of shaving time and seriously screwing up part-time employees checks. I can pull the trigger anytime I want. He has over 25 years in, and a family. Im not sure if he is lazy, or this is done out of malice. I know they will not hesitate to fire an hourly for dishonesty. Just curious how much this going on in other centers

Sent using BrownCafe App

Then why don't you? I'm sure those PT'ers also have families and every nickel affects a guy that's trying to make ends meet only making $10/hour.

When supervisors play their documentation games (re-sheeting packages as closed, re-scanning left in buildings, etc) that's one thing as long as they aren't involving an hourly. But wage theft is an entirely different issue.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The problem is that these people are put in impossible situations and dictated by corporate "make it possible". The more people overlook or "go easy" on integrity issues such as this ( I consider it theft, personally), the more it's perpetuated.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It just riles me up everytime I have the thought of someone taking my money that I work for. Like who are you? Who gave you the right to do that. It just disgusts me. They should be imprisoned, not just lose their jobs.

BrownBrokeDown

It just riles me up everytime I have the thought of someone taking my money that I work for. Like who are you? Who gave you the right to do that. It just disgusts me. They should be imprisoned, not just lose their jobs.

The normal and approved procedure at my facility is to tell management and they will go in and fix it. You get the hours on your next check normally. The timeclocks are set up so the start time is automatically showing 15 mins later than what it actually was so the pt sups have to manually enter everything. It's been like that for years from what I understand. The first FT sup I had when I started changed hours continuously to meet his numbers. It was common knowledge.

What I don't understand is why they don't go to jail. At the least, the union should check into how many time corrections had to be made in the last 2 years, and when it shows that this is a wide spread problem...deal with it. Hell, nationwide settlement under threat of strike for the hassle that it causes the employees, as well as if it is not fixed, a class action suit by the union will be brought against them in federal court. We would have public opinion on our side on this one.

But what do I know...I'm just a peon...I mean PTer.

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
If management will fudge a little, they will fudge a lot. Anybody who would steal from you would lie on you as well if they had to. The honesty factor must be beyond reproach. Their salary is bonus based, and the more they take from you, the more they make. No way I would ever let that happen. We had a program in our center that offered incentives for turning in sales leads. One of the prizes was an autographed baseball from a professional team in our city. center manager took it for his personal use and was terminated, and rightfully so.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Sent using BrownCafe App
Seriously, what are you waiting for?
Makes me wonder whether you are lazy, scared or just making it up.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The normal and approved procedure at my facility is to tell management and they will go in and fix it. You get the hours on your next check normally. The timeclocks are set up so the start time is automatically showing 15 mins later than what it actually was so the pt sups have to manually enter everything. It's been like that for years from what I understand. The first FT sup I had when I started changed hours continuously to meet his numbers. It was common knowledge.

What I don't understand is why they don't go to jail. At the least, the union should check into how many time corrections had to be made in the last 2 years, and when it shows that this is a wide spread problem...deal with it. Hell, nationwide settlement under threat of strike for the hassle that it causes the employees, as well as if it is not fixed, a class action suit by the union will be brought against them in federal court. We would have public opinion on our side on this one.

Agreed. They love to steal from the new pter. That's why I always warned every new pter to write down their time.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.

Sent using BrownCafe App
No excuse for it. I would report it ASAP. Sorry for his family, but if one of his employees was dishonest, what would he do?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

If it's a rare/seemingly random occurrence, management should always be given a chance to fix it. The vast majority (actually - every time, in my experience) of the time, they will.

The PT/FT supervisors might not understand the wider implications, but the business-level managers do.

A lot of the lower seniority PT'ers won't speak up because they don't understand their rights, are scared, or don't check/understand their time cards. It's been proven that lower-wage workers (think fast food and Walmart, especially) are the ones stolen from more often because they have "more to lose" if they speak up about it.

BrownBrokeDown

If it's a rare/seemingly random occurrence, management should always be given a chance to fix it. The vast majority (actually - every time, in my experience) of the time, they will.

The PT/FT supervisors might not understand the wider implications, but the business-level managers do.

A lot of the lower seniority PT'ers won't speak up because they don't understand their rights, are scared, or don't check/understand their time cards. It's been proven that lower-wage workers (think fast food and Walmart, especially) are the ones stolen from more often because they have "more to lose" if they speak up about it.
I agree and understand they should be given a chance to fix IF these were isolated instances. This has almost became a UPS culture issue. It is managements culture in a lot of facilities that if they need 20 mins off a shifts time to meet their numbers to just go in a get that 20 mins, or at least that is how it feels to a lot of people. This is where it appears a lot of the variances come from. In the past I have had sups admit to me that they saw so-and-so changing employees times to meet their numbers. I don't normally have issues with the accidental screwup on time (unless it is repetitive, which i will explain in a minute) as it can happen, but it is the intential aspect that needs to disappear.

That being said, there is a point even on the accidental aspect where enough is enough. for example, I took the same option day last year 4 times over about a 4 month period and still got paid out for it when I had a medical leave. 1st time under pt sup #1, ok no problem, 2nd time under pt sup #1, hmmmm, 3rd time under pt sup #2, wth (I actually trust this one, one of the few), 4th time under pt sup #2, wtf is going on, reply "I swear I put it in the computer", to FT sup " i want to know why in the hell i can't get paid for this day", never got a reason but did eventually get the money. It wasn't so much the money as the frustration. But I guess I got extra days off right?

I agree and understand they should be given a chance to fix IF these were isolated instances. This has almost became a UPS culture issue. It is managements culture in a lot of facilities that if they need 20 mins off a shifts time to meet their numbers to just go in a get that 20 mins, or at least that is how it feels to a lot of people. This is where it appears a lot of the variances come from. In the past I have had sups admit to me that they saw so-and-so changing employees times to meet their numbers. I don't normally have issues with the accidental screwup on time (unless it is repetitive, which i will explain in a minute) as it can happen, but it is the intential aspect that needs to disappear.

That being said, there is a point even on the accidental aspect where enough is enough. for example, I took the same option day last year 4 times over about a 4 month period and still got paid out for it when I had a medical leave. 1st time under pt sup #1, ok no problem, 2nd time under pt sup #1, hmmmm, 3rd time under pt sup #2, wth (I actually trust this one, one of the few), 4th time under pt sup #2, wtf is going on, reply "I swear I put it in the computer", to FT sup " i want to know why in the hell i can't get paid for this day", never got a reason but did eventually get the money. It wasn't so much the money as the frustration. But I guess I got extra days off right?
congratulations on the 1,000,000 post.