Intelligent Advice for Upper Management

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Since you're obviously clueless, here are some immediate (and cheap) ways to stem the tide of employees walking out the door. When people are leaving in droves while in the midst of a recession, there have to be big problems. The feces has already hit the fan...you just don't smell it yet.

1.Immediately reduce top-out times. Nobody wants to work their ass off in a job where it takes 10 years to reach the maximum wage level. Do you think a good courier is going to stick around at $15.00 per hour when the slug on the next route over makes $23 per hour and does less work? 3 years to top-out would do wonders.

2. Reinstate Personal Jumpseat NOW. I know that the illustrious and ultra-chill MT3 said it wasn't going to happen, but here's why you need to do it. The excuse of 9-11 no longer holds water. Business jumpseat is OK because it saves the company money, and the security procedures for personal jumpseat are identical. Admit it, the pilots don't like jumpseaters unless they are attractive and have large breasts, and you saved a few bucks by eliminating the jumpseat reservation system. It's a big deal because a lot of folks from Memphis have a hard (and expensive) time getting home these days. Memphis is an airline backwater, and carriers are cutting flights, not adding them. The rest of us like the idea of flying for free too, especially since our discount flight privileges are basically useless in today's airline environment.

3. Formulate non-punitive sick and injury policies. Believe it or not, FedEx employees actually DO get sick, and penalizing them for legitimate illnesses is BS. So is making every injury "preventable". Please realize that we do very physical work, and no matter how strictly safety policies are followed, people are still going to blow out knees, strain muscles, etc.

4. Create a worthwhile Sales Lead program. As it stands, there is very little incentive for anyone to turn in leads for additional business. And it doesn't have to be big bucks either...how about company merchandise or dinner certificates...SOMETHING!!!

5. Apologize. That's right, say you're sorry for treating us so poorly for so long while upper management fat cats raked it in. We already know it...we just want to hear it from the horse's mouth. A little humility goes a long way. So does basic respect. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

6. Say good-bye to Fred. Sorry, Fred, but you're the enemy these days, and you need to retire to the Bahamas or something. Your "leadership model" is no longer valid and needs to be flushed now. You're still acting like it's 1982 and everyone is bleeding Purple for the company. Those days are long gone.....please put the Kool-Aid back in the cupboard OK? It's time for new leadership. Hey Matt, you can go with him.

7. Establish a worthwhile bonus program. Sorry, the new FPP Plan isn't even close. A maximum 0.88% payout for a "7" employee isn't going to motivate anyone. Make it worthwhile (3-4%) and only give it to those who actually deserve it, the 6.5 and higher people who ALWAYS get it done.

When you have a massive exodus of people, your training costs go through the roof and customer service sucks. Thanks to all of the micro-management and the PowerPad, the learning curve for this job is fairly steep. You can no longer afford to have experienced and competent people leaving in droves because their replacements can't do the job. Sure, it's cheaper to pay someone $15.00 per hour to be a courier, but if they are incompetent,you've actually lost efficiency (and money). UPS usually gets it done right...guess where the customers are going?

drewed

Shankman
Since you're obviously clueless, here are some immediate (and cheap) ways to stem the tide of employees walking out the door. When people are leaving in droves while in the midst of a recession, there have to be big problems. The feces has already hit the fan...you just don't smell it yet.

1.Immediately reduce top-out times. Nobody wants to work their ass off in a job where it takes 10 years to reach the maximum wage level. Do you think a good courier is going to stick around at $15.00 per hour when the slug on the next route over makes $23 per hour and does less work? 3 years to top-out would do wonders.

2. Reinstate Personal Jumpseat NOW. I know that the illustrious and ultra-chill MT3 said it wasn't going to happen, but here's why you need to do it. The excuse of 9-11 no longer holds water. Business jumpseat is OK because it saves the company money, and the security procedures for personal jumpseat are identical. Admit it, the pilots don't like jumpseaters unless they are attractive and have large breasts, and you saved a few bucks by eliminating the jumpseat reservation system. It's a big deal because a lot of folks from Memphis have a hard (and expensive) time getting home these days. Memphis is an airline backwater, and carriers are cutting flights, not adding them. The rest of us like the idea of flying for free too, especially since our discount flight privileges are basically useless in today's airline environment.

3. Formulate non-punitive sick and injury policies. Believe it or not, FedEx employees actually DO get sick, and penalizing them for legitimate illnesses is BS. So is making every injury "preventable". Please realize that we do very physical work, and no matter how strictly safety policies are followed, people are still going to blow out knees, strain muscles, etc.

4. Create a worthwhile Sales Lead program. As it stands, there is very little incentive for anyone to turn in leads for additional business. And it doesn't have to be big bucks either...how about company merchandise or dinner certificates...SOMETHING!!!

5. Apologize. That's right, say you're sorry for treating us so poorly for so long while upper management fat cats raked it in. We already know it...we just want to hear it from the horse's mouth. A little humility goes a long way. So does basic respect. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

6. Say good-bye to Fred. Sorry, Fred, but you're the enemy these days, and you need to retire to the Bahamas or something. Your "leadership model" is no longer valid and needs to be flushed now. You're still acting like it's 1982 and everyone is bleeding Purple for the company. Those days are long gone.....please put the Kool-Aid back in the cupboard OK? It's time for new leadership. Hey Matt, you can go with him.

7. Establish a worthwhile bonus program. Sorry, the new FPP Plan isn't even close. A maximum 0.88% payout for a "7" employee isn't going to motivate anyone. Make it worthwhile (3-4%) and only give it to those who actually deserve it, the 6.5 and higher people who ALWAYS get it done.

When you have a massive exodus of people, your training costs go through the roof and customer service sucks. Thanks to all of the micro-management and the PowerPad, the learning curve for this job is fairly steep. You can no longer afford to have experienced and competent people leaving in droves because their replacements can't do the job. Sure, it's cheaper to pay someone $15.00 per hour to be a courier, but if they are incompetent,you've actually lost efficiency (and money). UPS usually gets it done right...guess where the customers are going?

UPSers will say what they will about their management but, from what you wrote and the reactions of your fellow EXers; they are on the winning team

T

The Mayor

Amen for this post!!!!!!!!!!! You hit the multitude of ideals that EVERYONE I have ever known that works for the company has one negative comment about or another. The only good news that I could add for you is that in the corporate by laws, when a company officer turns 71 years of age, it is mandatory that they retire. I believe Fred has less than 5 years left (don't quote me). In reference to MT3, let's just say that I know him well. He is much of an a-hole now as he was before he made it big.