intercept

j4ck4zz

I received a message today about an intercept package that had the wrong address and I needed to bring it in for an address correction. Here's the part that I don't understand; the package was addressed to 5512 Main, but needed to go to 5513 Main. Why aren't we allowed to just deliver this type of intercept package on the same day rather that have the customer wait an extra day for it?

Cementups

Box Monkey
You could have done that. Just make sure to make proper corrections in your DIAD if the package was addressed incorrectly and you are taking it to the proper location. If it was just a misdelivery, then go back and delete the first delivery and then reattempt and scan package for delivery when you deliver it to it's proper location.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You could have done that. Just make sure to make proper corrections in your DIAD if the package was addressed incorrectly and you are taking it to the proper location. If it was just a misdelivery, then go back and delete the first delivery and then reattempt and scan package for delivery when you deliver it to it's proper location.

You can't driver release a package if an Intercept was put on it. I have tried it before and couldn't, the DIAD won't let you. I don't know if a signature will do in this case. Sometimes an Intercept means the consignee's check bounced or the credit card didn't go through and the shipper wants it back.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I received a message today about an intercept package that had the wrong address and I needed to bring it in for an address correction. Here's the part that I don't understand; the package was addressed to 5512 Main, but needed to go to 5513 Main. Why aren't we allowed to just deliver this type of intercept package on the same day rather that have the customer wait an extra day for it?

You need to follow the instructions for UPS to be able to charge the 10$ intercept fee.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You will not be able to close out that stop until you tag the pkg as intercept. You will also not be able to do the right thing and do the ADC in the board. Your only option is to bring the pkg back to the center, have them do the ADC, and then you will deliver it tomorrow.

pretzel_man

It looks to me like someone (probably the shipper) used the intercept option improperly.

Intercepts were added as a product to either return the package to the shipper or reroute the package to a different address. They were not intended to be used for address corrections which is what this looks like.

By the way, why didn't they intercept it on the preload? They get reports saying which ones need to be intercepted. They could have corrected it and it would have been delivered the same day.

In this case, the reroute was just next door. What if the reroute was to an address in a different part of the center or building's territory? The preload should have taken care of this before it was on road.

P-Man

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It looks to me like someone (probably the shipper) used the intercept option improperly.

Intercepts were added as a product to either return the package to the shipper or reroute the package to a different address. They were not intended to be used for address corrections which is what this looks like.

By the way, why didn't they intercept it on the preload? They get reports saying which ones need to be intercepted. They could have corrected it and it would have been delivered the same day.

In this case, the reroute was just next door. What if the reroute was to an address in a different part of the center or building's territory? The preload should have taken care of this before it was on road.

P-Man

Can someone call in an intercept and noon when they realize there was a problem and catch the pkg before delivery? Is it instant or does it have to be done the next day. This might have been called in after preload.

brownrodster

Because, on paper, that would be a service failure. And all our management cares about is looking good on paper. Even if a so called "service failure" is more convenient and provides better service for the customer.

brownrodster

By the way, why didn't they intercept it on the preload?

Why start there? Why didn't the preload load my truck properly. Why didn't the preload remove all those missloads. Why didn't the preload get my stop count within 50 of the actual number. Why didn't the preload put my call tags in a good spot. And the list goes on...

There are a billion things the preload should have done but did not. Why start with intercepts?

Actually, our preload will typically print out the intercept/addcor in paper form and put inside the truck for us to find. But not always.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
You will not be able to close out that stop until you tag the pkg as intercept. You will also not be able to do the right thing and do the ADC in the board. Your only option is to bring the pkg back to the center, have them do the ADC, and then you will deliver it tomorrow.

You can't driver release a package if an Intercept was put on it. I have tried it before and couldn't, the DIAD won't let you. I don't know if a signature will do in this case. Sometimes an Intercept means the consignee's check bounced or the credit card didn't go through and the shipper wants it back.
Exactly, on both accounts. And signatures don't work either. I had an intercept that I was attempting to deliver to the correct person. I ended up putting it in prerecord, bringing back the shipping label, having the clerk correct the problem and then closing the stop at the end of the day. Very frustrating when you are standing in front of the customer who needs the pkg NOW! My intercept was just an AC.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Exactly, on both accounts. And signatures don't work either. I had an intercept that I was attempting to deliver to the correct person. I ended up putting it in prerecord, bringing back the shipping label, having the clerk correct the problem and then closing the stop at the end of the day. Very frustrating when you are standing in front of the customer who needs the pkg NOW!

I was trying to DR a package of insuline to a customer that needed it, I couldn't.

pretzel_man

Can someone call in an intercept and noon when they realize there was a problem and catch the pkg before delivery? Is it instant or does it have to be done the next day. This might have been called in after preload.

Based on his original post and posts from other people I'm assuming that this was a UPS Delivery Intercept. That is the service where the customer is charged a fee to have us intercept the package.

With a UPS DI, a DIAD board only gets loaded with an intercept if the intercept comes into UPS prior to the driver getting EDD. Any on road intercepts are only communicated via text message.

I heard that this will change in the future to automatically going to the DIAD regardless of when it comes in.

Because, on paper, that would be a service failure. And all our management cares about is looking good on paper. Even if a so called "service failure" is more convenient and provides better service for the customer.

While I don't want to get into a discussion on management and numbers, in this case your assumption is incorrect.

The example mentioned here has no bearing on how service failures would have been counted.

P-Man

ikoi62

They have been used for address correction from the very start of the intercept program. the ones i really hate are the intercepts for a future delivery and the delivery date is the next day.

brownrodster

The example mentioned here has no bearing on how service failures would have been counted.

P-Man

We have been told in PCM's that this situation would be a service failure. The intercept must go to the clerk before it gets redelivered or whatever. We cannot resolve it ourselves.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If we are directed to Intercept a package, then why would that be considered a service failure? The shipper is paying us now to not deliver the package, it shouldn't be considered a missed piece at that point.

pretzel_man

We have been told in PCM's that this situation would be a service failure. The intercept must go to the clerk before it gets redelivered or whatever. We cannot resolve it ourselves.

You are not supposed to deliver the intercept package. That is correct. As far as I know, its not counted as a service failure either way.

Again, the real failure happened when the preload didn't intercept the package before you went on road.

Your center team is probably talking about the % successful intercepts. Every so often they track how successful we are at intercepting a package and re-directing it or returning it.

In the case mentioned here, the customer would have been much better off just calling in an address correction instead of executing an intercept.

P-Man