Interesting New Research Regarding High-Latitude Atmospheric Circulations

UnconTROLLed

perfection
And their impact on global climate, GW implications

NOAA Research on Twitter

Twitter

The atmosphere and Arctic sea ice: Who’s the dog, and who’s the tail? | NOAA Climate.gov

"..In new research from across the pond in England, a team of scientists found that even though a lack of sea ice occurs at the same time as cold mid-latitude winters, it doesn’t cause those cold mid-latitude winters. In scientific jargon-ese, “correlation does NOT mean causation.” The real driver, they say, is an atmospheric circulation pattern across higher latitudes, which drives both low amounts of sea ice and the spilling of cold air into the mid-latitudes. But in order to come to that conclusion, the scientists first had to untangle those multiple, messy climate influencers.

Untangling the options....."

BrownArmy

From your link:

‘In recent years, a popular debate has been occurring within the climate community. No, it’s not whether climate change is occurring and caused by humans. (It is.) Instead, it’s regarding how much of an effect, if any, the rapid warming of Earth’s frozen cake-topper we call the Arctic, and the corresponding reduction in Arctic sea ice, has been having on winter across the mid-latitudes where most of us live.’

This is a geek-website about the vagaries of climate-change.

Kind of like the BC for UPS’ers.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It is literally impossible that humans are causing climate change. These idiots can't even keep their lies straight. Climate is in a constant state of flux, always has been, always will be. Humans didn't start it, and we aren't "causing" it now. You could say that human activity is influencing climate change, but that would almost be a truism.

The talking point used to be that humans are causing global warming. But that has been so thoroughly disproven that they had to switch their claim to something that is a litttle harder for the average person to wrap their minds around, but still sounds scary.

BrownArmy

It is literally impossible that humans are causing climate change. These idiots can't even keep their lies straight. Climate is in a constant state of flux, always has been, always will be. Humans didn't start it, and we aren't "causing" it now. You could say that human activity is influencing climate change, but that would almost be a truism.

The talking point used to be that humans are causing global warming. But that has been so thoroughly disproven that they had to switch their claim to something that is a litttle harder for the average person to wrap their minds around, and still sounds scary.

Read a little more Science, darling.

Our planet is the car in the parking lot on a hot summers day, we’re the toddler in the car-seat.

We’re accelerating climate change.

Yes, climate changes, but give even a cursory glance at the data, and you’ll see that we’re ramping it up.

What concerns me is that we keep tottering around the edges, but at some point there’s gonna be a shift.

The Oceans are warming, that’s just a fact.

The Glaciers are melting, that’s just a fact.

You can say we aren’t causing those things...

But even if you’re correct (you’re not), we need to do something about it.

When the Oceans are too warm, when there’s not enough ice on the poles to reflect the sun’s rays, we’re going to live in a very different world.

‘I told you so’ will mean very little to me.

There are already dead-zones and heat-waves in the Oceans, and when the Oceans capacity to hold excess heat disappears, that’s a huge deal.

We literally can’t plant enough trees to get ourselves out of this situation.

My kids will limp along in a world that suffers, and finally gets a clue.

Does it, in the end, really matter if humans are the cause?

We’re certainly contributing to the problem, and ignoring the real climate issues that we face because you’re convinced it’s not our fault is ridiculous.

Does it matter?

It’s happening right now, and we need to deal with it.

How else are we going to get an orbital platform around Jupiter?

El Correcto

god is dead
The little Twit from Sweden is full of s:censored2:t!
E12A9B9B-DDA1-44DC-BDE9-99F3A1D0DE3A.gif

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Our planet is the car in the parking lot on a hot summers day, we’re the toddler in the car-seat.

Yes, climate changes, but give even a cursory glance at the data, and you’ll see that we’re ramping it up.

What concerns me is that we keep tottering around the edges, but at some point there’s gonna be a shift.

When the Oceans are too warm, when there’s not enough ice on the poles to reflect the sun’s rays, we’re going to live in a very different world.

There are already dead-zones and heat-waves in the Oceans, and when the Oceans capacity to hold excess heat disappears, that’s a huge deal.

We’re certainly contributing to the problem, and ignoring the real climate issues that we face because you’re convinced it’s not our fault is ridiculous.

Does it matter?

Wrong, I read plenty of real science, not the made up propaganda that you consume. Even if things were as dire as you believe (they aren't), no one has any real fix for the things that you believe are problems that are caused by humans. Eliminating hydrocarbon fuel sources will not change anything in the climate. It will plunge the world into utter poverty, causing the deaths of 100's of millions to even billions of people. I would rather my kids and grandkids be one degree celcius warmer by the end of the century (real made up projection), than have to come up with ways to do deal with the mountains of corpses and subsequent disease and plague outbreaks that will occur as a result of said corpse mountains. And have to do so without oil.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I have no problem coming up with new solutions for energy. But trying to force technology through that isn't up to the task only creates debacles like solyndra and its ilk. I would rather we come up with real, workable sources for our energy needs than purposefully plunge the world back into the middle ages. If it takes a few more decades to do that, and we have to stick with conventional methods til then, "it will be fine". No need to murder 4 billion people.

vantexan

Does it matter?

And all the virtue signaling in the world won't change the fact that the Paris agreement hurts our economy while exempting China and India from the same requirements, even though they're much bigger polluters.

BrownArmy

Wrong, I read plenty of real science, not the made up propaganda that you consume. Even if things were as dire as you believe (they aren't), no one has any real fix for the things that you believe are problems that are caused by humans. Eliminating hydrocarbon fuel sources will not change anything in the climate. It will plunge the world into utter poverty, causing the deaths of 100's of millions to even billions of people. I would rather my kids and grandkids be one degree celcius warmer by the end of the century (real made up projection), than have to come up with ways to do deal with the mountains of corpses and subsequent disease and plague outbreaks that will occur as a result of said corpse mountains. And have to do so without oil.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I have no problem coming up with new solutions for energy. But trying to force technology through that isn't up to the task only creates debacles like solyndra and its ilk. I would rather we come up with real, workable sources for our energy needs than purposefully plunge the world back into the middle ages. If it takes a few more decades to do that, and we have to stick with conventional methods til then, "it will be fine". No need to murder 4 billion people.

Lulz, and I'm the dramatic one.

It doesn't have to be binary, or an either/or.

The simple fact is, the climate is changing, and we have to deal with it.

We can deal with it, or we can cry about 'corpse mountains', wtf.

All I'm saying is, don't ignore the science because your head is up your arse.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Lulz, and I'm the dramatic one.

It doesn't have to be binary, or an either/or.

The simple fact is, the climate is changing, and we have to deal with it.

We can deal with it, or we can cry about 'corpse mountains', wtf.

All I'm saying is, don't ignore the science because your head is up your arse.

The simple fact is the climate is changing, always has been, always will be, and ain't a damn thing we can do about it. All I'm saying is, don't ignore the science because your head is up your arse.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Soooo, humans have no influence on the climate?

Did I say that? Every living creature has an impact on its environment. You claimed we are accelerating climate change. That is propaganda. Accelerating it how, and to what end? Anyone who claims to be able to give definitive answers to those questions is lying. If they could, they still wouldn't have definitive answers about how to change the trajectory of the changes, or even know where they want the climate to go. Do you want to make the planet colder? How much? How will you accomplish that? How will everyone keep warm enough? Seriously. Do you have any idea of what an acceptable climate, or change of climate, is supposed to be? You don't, because no one does.

To talk about climate change as though it were a problem suggests that there is some way to keep the climate from changing. "But I only want to reduce the impact humans have on climate change," you say? Well, humans will always have an impact on their environment. No way around that. There will always be people who think the impact we have is "bad". No amount of progress towards... what? A "stable" climate? Will ever be good enough. The only way to "effectively" reduce, or eliminate, the impact humans have on our environment is to reduce or eliminate the humans.

BrownArmy

Did I say that? Every living creature has an impact on its environment. You claimed we are accelerating climate change. That is propaganda. Accelerating it how, and to what end? Anyone who claims to be able to give definitive answers to those questions is lying. If they could, they still wouldn't have definitive answers about how to change the trajectory of the changes, or even know where they want the climate to go. Do you want to make the planet colder? How much? How will you accomplish that? How will everyone keep warm enough? Seriously. Do you have any idea of what an acceptable climate, or change of climate, is supposed to be? You don't, because no one does.

To talk about climate change as though it were a problem suggests that there is some way to keep the climate from changing. "But I only want to reduce the impact humans have on climate change," you say? Well, humans will always have an impact on their environment. No way around that. There will always be people who think the impact we have is "bad". No amount of progress towards... what? A "stable" climate? Will ever be good enough. The only way to "effectively" reduce, or eliminate, the impact humans have on our environment is to reduce or eliminate the humans.

That's a lot of words.

If you think that humans haven't accelerated the normal pace of change in the climate since the 1850's, then you're not familiar with the data.

If you're not familiar with the data, we don't have a lot to talk about.

Yes, yes, there are other factors in climate change than human activity, but again, if you're not familiar with the actual data, I'm not sure what to say.

So I'll just say this:

You're completely correct.

Feel better?

There's nothing you have to do, everything's fine, sleep well.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
That's a lot of words.

If you think that humans haven't accelerated the normal pace of change in the climate since the 1850's, then you're not familiar with the data.

If you're not familiar with the data, we don't have a lot to talk about.

Yes, yes, there are other factors in climate change than human activity, but again, if you're not familiar with the actual data, I'm not sure what to say.

So I'll just say this:

You're completely correct.

Feel better?

There's nothing you have to do, everything's fine, sleep well.
One of the first things one learns in Probability and Statistics 101 is to never assume relationships between trending sets of data.

For instance, Crime increases almost directly in proportion with the density of utility poles. (aka telephone poles, power poles)