Interesting Read sounds like 6 days a week for HD is coming soon

bacha29

No question about it. Just part of the long standing practice on the part of X Ground to hand a new set demands to contractors without the contractor having any say in the matter including having to put more even more completely unsecured capital at risk.

HedleyLamarr

No question about it. Just part of the long standing practice on the part of X Ground to hand a new set demands to contractors without the contractor having any say in the matter including having to put more even more completely unsecured capital at risk.

Just curious. How is this any different then McDonalds ordering all it's franchise owners to keep their restaurants open 24/7, or that time when KFC had Oprah advertise they were giving away one free meal to everyone and the franchise owners had to pay the bill?

Star B

White Lightening
There's always that little blurb under McD/KFC commercials "Participation may vary". McD can't force the restaurants to stay open... in some cities they are forbidden to by the laws.

FedGT

Just curious. How is this any different then McDonalds ordering all it's franchise owners to keep their restaurants open 24/7, or that time when KFC had Oprah advertise they were giving away one free meal to everyone and the franchise owners had to pay the bill?
Not much. Pretty much if you franchise or contract with a Fortune 500 you know they are going to do all they can to be make as much money as possible. Sometimes it sucks but when competitors are doing certain things you have to assume your company will follow suit. Hard to keep taking market share if you don't offer the same services. I am sure 7 day operation will happen at some point, probably no time soon.

bacha29

It's about having no say in the matter. In this case if you don't do exactly as your told then it's " hastal lavista baby". It may work out for you in the end but it could just as easily not. A person could live with the later if they had say in the decision making and planning process.

Ex-Ex

The lube went from warm to cold, and now they have added sand to the mix....ouch!
Couple of things after reading that, to all the ISP guys out there just curious if your "revenues" went up 30% how much did your profit go up?
I'm going to venture a guess here a 13% DAILEY increase did nothing but decrease your bottom line. It cost you more to deliver with no increase in the price you get from your "partner". You or your "employees" worked harder and longer.
A couple of years ago we received back money owed from an audit conducted that proved EX with held money for over size packages (some of these checks were sizeable meaning you were really gettting screwed) If they are now telling their customers that a 48" package is now considered over size I hope to Jesus they are compensating you guys as well.

FedGT

The lube went from warm to cold, and now they have added sand to the mix....ouch!
Couple of things after reading that, to all the ISP guys out there just curious if your "revenues" went up 30% how much did your profit go up?
I'm going to venture a guess here a 13% DAILEY increase did nothing but decrease your bottom line. It cost you more to deliver with no increase in the price you get from your "partner". You or your "employees" worked harder and longer.
A couple of years ago we received back money owed from an audit conducted that proved EX with held money for over size packages (some of these checks were sizeable meaning you were really gettting screwed) If they are now telling their customers that a 48" package is now considered over size I hope to Jesus they are compensating you guys as well.
Nope. Part of taking that check was them cutting out additional money for OS packages.
I'm not ISP so I can't answer for those guys but we grew at 18% last year gross and it paid back a decent net.

dmac1

With fuel prices down, do you get a fuel supplement anymore? I used to come out more ahead the higher prices went because I averaged a little higher MPG plus I drove 300-400 miles daily. Plus I could get gas out oh the home county where they had a local gasoline tax, while gas in the next county was about 15 cents a gallon cheaper.

dmac1

Are you losing money due to lower gas prices/lower supplement? I used to break it down by net fuel cost per stop. The higher the price of gas, the less I spent per stop. May not even be noticeable on a low mileage route.

bbsam

Staff member
It's about having no say in the matter. In this case if you don't do exactly as your told then it's " hastal lavista baby". It may work out for you in the end but it could just as easily not. A person could live with the later if they had say in the decision making and planning process.
I guess a guy just gets used to it. Personally, for me all it will mean is either switching a couple drivers to Tuesday through Saturday or becoming tighter on start times and route planning.

FedGT

Are you losing money due to lower gas prices/lower supplement? I used to break it down by net fuel cost per stop. The higher the price of gas, the less I spent per stop. May not even be noticeable on a low mileage route.
Seems like net is working out much better with cheap fuel. A lot of my routes only do 70-80 miles a day.

STFXG

I make more the higher the cost of fuel goes. Not sure how much the difference is though. I'll pull some old fuel receipts when I get a chance.

bacha29

This may or may not have an impact on future proceedings and I don't know if you guys saw it but there is a case in a Washington State federal court whereby an HD driver who worked for an absentee contractor he has never met is suing X and the contractor under FLSA and the NLB dual employer ruling.He was running a sub 10,000 gvw van and was not getting breaks or overtime. Keep an eye on this one. It's in the federal courts not state court.

It will be fine

I guess a guy just gets used to it. Personally, for me all it will mean is either switching a couple drivers to Tuesday through Saturday or becoming tighter on start times and route planning.
Being on call 6 days a week is terrible. I do very little on Saturdays but it's still a big pain having guys call me middle of the day Saturday.

bbsam

Staff member
Being on call 6 days a week is terrible. I do very little on Saturdays but it's still a big pain having guys call me middle of the day Saturday.
Could not agree more.

When I got out of HD 4 years ago, I couldn't believe the relief I felt not having to even think about that stuff for two days straight. Luckily I have a "partner" who loves to take on that kind of thing.

blacksox

This will get expensive either beg your regular drivers to work 6 days which means 8-10 hrs ot or hire a revolving door of part timers that will cost you constant complainants of misdeliverers and code 02-03 from not knowing the routes. Also now will have find a mechanic willing to work on sundays the only day the trucks are down.

dmac1

This may or may not have an impact on future proceedings and I don't know if you guys saw it but there is a case in a Washington State federal court whereby an HD driver who worked for an absentee contractor he has never met is suing X and the contractor under FLSA and the NLB dual employer ruling.He was running a sub 10,000 gvw van and was not getting breaks or overtime. Keep an eye on this one. It's in the federal courts not state court.

This will result in the contractor being liable for any award up to whatever bankrupts him, with fedex picking up the remainder. Of course fedex won't be renewing his contract.

dmac1

This will get expensive either beg your regular drivers to work 6 days which means 8-10 hrs ot or hire a revolving door of part timers that will cost you constant complainants of misdeliverers and code 02-03 from not knowing the routes. Also now will have find a mechanic willing to work on sundays the only day the trucks are down.

Hire two drivers per route each working three days a week. Or if state laws allow without paying OT, use fewer drivers, giving them 40 hour weeks in 4 days, rotating drivers. The extra daily vehicle allowance should cover a lot of the OT costs. And you should have a back-up vehicle anyway, or rent one when you need maintenance done. Until volume grows, working 6 days means lower daily volume, saving you on driver pay 5 days a week.