Interesting Review of the 1997 Strike - Lessons from the Past

InsideUPS

For those of you that were not around during the 1997 UPS strike, you may find the following article an interesting read.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/08/ups-strike-teamsters-logistics-labor-unions-work

Observing the current "Vote No" movement vs. the "Vote Yes" movement from a distance is truly an interesting study in human behavior. In the end, it all boils down to greed and politics. Greed is inherent for corporations trying to meet and exceed the expectations of Wall Street. Political power and influence is inherent within the Unions. "We the People", are often stuck in the middle of this battle while often being unwillingly or unwittingly manipulated in the process.

Having gone through the 1997 strike, I feel that today's "climate" for Union solidarity and strength is very different from 1997. Public support of UPS Teamsters was very important back in 1997 when the mantra and slogans included, "Part-Time America Won’t Work" "UPS means Under Paid Slaves", etc.. Regardless of your political affiliation, many of today's national political leaders are not Union friendly....Trump included. Right To Work states have increased, multi-employer pension funds such as Central States and Western Pennsylvania are in jeopardy with others also underfunded.

Knowing your strengths....is also knowing and acknowledging your weaknesses. The one thing that we as non-negotiating members of the Teamsters Union do not know is what all our "weaknesses" actually may be. We also do not know how the giant UPS Excel spreadsheet has been divided or how much more they (UPS) are willing and/or able to offer. "Last, Best, and Final, Offer". Voting "no" is a huge gamble affecting many different lives and families. Voting "yes" is a partial gamble that will affect lives but with greater certainty considering we already know the current proposed contract language. In the end, each one of us should vote what best reflects or OWN feelings rather than be influenced by those that have little or nothing to lose or are political minions that have a totally different agenda.

Time for change

That’s somewhat rational, however I think it’s important to counter the $40 an hour driver argument with the median UPS hourly wage, and that the while some UPS employees make an eye popping wage, the majority actually make a pretty measly wage for the work they do and environment they are in and this contract does very little to address that for most of them and is actually worse than previous contracts for those people in the best economy in at least 20 years.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It’s all about leaving the place better than you found it. Selling out future drivers because “I got mine” is a self destructive behavior, and those same guys you sell out will have no problem selling your Central States pension safety net that UPS has to cover down the river when you’re gone.

PT Car Washer

It’s all about leaving the place better than you found it. Selling out future drivers because “I got mine” is a self destructive behavior, and those same guys you sell out will have no problem selling your Central States pension safety net that UPS has to cover down the river when you’re gone.
But you have no problem selling out the PT Union members for the last 36 years?

Time for change

There is undeniable truth that the regression of part time pay the last several decades is because of lack of voting. We have woken up and if you’re an existing part timer make sure you vote and preferably join the thousands of first time part time voters voting NO!

InsideUPS

That’s somewhat rational, however I think it’s important to counter the $40 an hour driver argument with the median UPS hourly wage, and that the while some UPS employees make an eye popping wage, the majority actually make a pretty measly wage for the work they do and environment they are in and this contract does very little to address that for most of them and is actually worse than previous contracts for those people in the best economy in at least 20 years.

While I appreciate the efforts of our Union negotiating a $13/hour starting wage for part-timers, I'm very disappointed to see that those part-timers that were hired at $10.50 within the last several years, will basically be paid the same as new hires. Their wage should be $13 PLUS whatever increases they were entitled to as they gained seniority. This is really unfair to those part-timers that have put their time in over the past several years.

IMHO.... a $13 starting wage for part-timers was not really a negotiating win for the Union. It was in UPS's best interest to raise the starting wage in order to retain workers. Negotiating and securing a $15/hour starting part-time wage is what I would have considered a "win/win" for both the Union and UPS. Higher wages attracts and retains higher quality workers, especially in a positive economy where competition for good laborers is significant.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
But you have no problem selling out the PT Union members for the last 36 years?

PT members sold themselves out by not voting. You can easily rule the roost if you banded together.

I predict the new 22.4 drivers will be the next to be sold out by the FT members. I got mine.

There are valid points to be made.

One of them is @PT Car Washer should not be insulting people that don't recognize his pay rate as a long term employee.

And then....

-Bug-

Last edited: