Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People - Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, & sadistic

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People - Slate

Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic.

In the past few years, the science of Internet trollology has made some strides. Last year, for instance, we learned that by hurling insults and inciting discord in online comment sections, so-called Internet trolls (who are frequently anonymous) have a polarizing effect on audiences, leading to politicization, rather than deeper understanding of scientific topics.

That’s bad, but it’s nothing compared with what a new psychology paper has to say about the personalities of trolls themselves. The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

bbsam

Staff member
Sometimes psychology gives too much credit to phenomena. I think this is just such a case. Some peoe are just A-holes. Can't we leave it at that?

upschuck

You probably see the truer person on message boards than in person. In person people put masks on and don't speak who they actually are, where on the internet, they think they are anonymous and reveal their truer selves.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People - Slate

Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic.

In the past few years, the science of Internet trollology has made some strides. Last year, for instance, we learned that by hurling insults and inciting discord in online comment sections, so-called Internet trolls (who are frequently anonymous) have a polarizing effect on audiences, leading to politicization, rather than deeper understanding of scientific topics.

That’s bad, but it’s nothing compared with what a new psychology paper has to say about the personalities of trolls themselves. The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).
Makes this adventure on BC question which of the four categories each of us is slotted.

I want to know more about those of us whom don't want to join Facebook to like something.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
It seems this thread would get a lot more views/comments if it were placed elsewhere - lol
I agree, Ginger.
Sometimes people don't like to look in mirror because they may see themselves for what they truly appear to be to others.

Maybe what Cheryl posted is too much of a mirror for others to gaze upon and with her vast experience hosting forums such as BC, she developed an instinct which guided her to post it here....?

Earlier today, I changed my avatar and after awhile, it really freaked me out. I wanted to have fun with Dizzee looking at me thru a window, I discovered I have become my avatar and can't post properly as myself without it.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
A couple of take away points from the linked articles:

It is hard to underplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior. What’s more, it also found a relationship between all Dark Tetrad traits (except for narcissism) and the overall time that an individual spent, per day, commenting on the Internet.

They're predominantly climate deniers, and they start in immediately arguing over the content and attacking the science—sometimes by slinging insults and even occasional obscenities.

gingerkat

I want to know more about those of us whom don't want to join Facebook to like something
I was a late in coming to the game of Facebook. I used to do myspace way back when, but it was just fun. Posting funny pics & music and I could use a fake name.

Then the dawn of FB came about and I got ridiculed by my sister for being "old" and for always going against the popular and cool (sure) stuff. I even fought texting for a long long time.

People say it's to keep in touch with old school mates, new friends, etc. The reason I fought social media for so long was because I left my little town for a reason…I didn't care to keep in touch with those people. The people I care to keep in contact with, I do.

I look at FB as a bit of a joke. Most stuff is just damn entertaining. People post things that make me laugh or just laugh at them. Most of the time I just let people put whatever they want on my page. Have at it, enjoy.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll