"Invalid" Code 43

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Today, our manager told us that Code 43 was no longer a valid timecard entry. What a coincidence, since our freight was late for about the fifth time in the last 2 weeks. So, "what code are we supposed to use" asked a newer courier. Well, since there was no "valid" code, "everyone would have to go on break" until the CTV arrived. Furthermore, those who used a Code 43 would be charged with a timecard error. I guess I will risk the wrath of the OLCC Fairy, because a bunch of us did use the 43, and we will see what happens tomorrow. My bet is that the code is still valid, and this was just a scare tactic to shave hours. Not even any donuts today to have the pretense of a bribe. I guess they think we are dumb enough to fall for it, and I'm sure that some did.

What a scam! Just a reminder that as far as I know Code 43 is still valid, they have to pay you, and that whenever they require you to call-in and listen to a recorder, that they are breaking the law in most states.

Poor Fred. He probably had to use one of his lumps of coal to heat the Memphis mansion, and now he wants us to pay for it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Boy what a coincidence, freight was late for about the fifth time in the last 2 weeks and now code 43 is no longer a valid timecard entry. How stupid do they think we are?

I'm sure some district director thought that one up to look better on reports sent to Memphis.

Well instead of FedEx taking out the blame of late freight on the couriers, they should more concered about improving CTV arrival times.

"The World On Time." Uh, not here.

newgirl

Now that you bring it up, what changed with calling in to check our start times? We are required to call the number again for our start times. No one really cares, everyone is just happy to sleep late so our station "gets away" with it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Now that you bring it up, what changed with calling in to check our start times? We are required to call the number again for our start times. No one really cares, everyone is just happy to sleep late so our station "gets away" with it.

It's fine if it works out your way, but I just thought it was an underhanded move to take advantage of the mentally challenged.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't follow all of their rules...only the ones that are convenient for me. I play by their rules when it's convenient for me just like they do, and so far, no reprisals.

On the rare occasions that I do use "call notes", I still show up at my scheduled time and find busy work because I can't see any reason to do otherwise. It really is entertaining using their "policiies" like they were intended.

I do recall a few times where it was a cardinal sin to use the "miscellaneous" code. It's been too long to remember what code it was. I used it one time to do "miscellaneous" work around the station, such as helping out the CSA's researching Dex 3's, clean out trucks, rearrange the doc sort for PM sort. To me it was "miscellaneous", instead I had to fix my timecard to a code 30, or get a possible OLCC.

Besides isn't code 43 always been used for wait for CTV/RTD?

That's what it is. Mr.FedEx does have it right, seems some codes "disappear" then suddenly "reappear". Things seemed to have never changed since moving on in 2008. :happy-very:

It's a wonder there isn't separate codes needed to take a leak, dump, get a soda out of the machine etc. Almost seems it was moving that way when I was around.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

The folks at my station were told that the 43 no longer existed, so I told some of the "bolder" ones to try it, still waiting on confirmation. These are the folks who as of 1-1-12 no longer have a position because the customer they were stationed at has decided to go to SmartPost. It's always great to hear about Memphis robbing Express (Peter) to pad Ground's (Paul) coffers...but tell us how we're losing money at Express.

SmithBarney

My Last STA it was a cardinal sin to use a 39, at my current STA I've been instructed to use it. such as when we PST the building, or Park Trucks since there is no code for those actions.

P1 Lates

At our station, as soon as we know late freight is coming they will ask you to take an early lunch; no more waiting for CTV code. Problem with that is lunch has to be at least 20 minutes minimum' so if the late truck shows up earlier than 20 minutes everybodys gone to get coffee or something to eat near the station.

I would hear managers yell TRUCKS HERE! and not enough people to unload or do doc sort until they all come back from lunch. This is one of the reasons our leave building time turns to crap and massive lates abound.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At our station, as soon as we know late freight is coming they will ask you to take an early lunch; no more waiting for CTV code. Problem with that is lunch has to be at least 20 minutes minimum' so if the late truck shows up earlier than 20 minutes everybodys gone to get coffee or something to eat near the station.

I would hear managers yell TRUCKS HERE! and not enough people to unload or do doc sort until they all come back from lunch. This is one of the reasons our leave building time turns to crap and massive lates abound.

You know, if you don't care about burning an hour, take your full break and then make sure you leave the facility. That way, when the CTV or airplane gets there it will be a ghost town not just for 20 minutes, but for an hour. Another way to create chaos by using their own policies aginst them.

Denying you the use of Code 43 is probably grounds for another class action.

whenIgetthere

My station uses code 43 quite a bit. This week, one day we were instructed to use code 43 for 6 minutes! I will not take a break if the CTV is late, just find something for me to do. Also this past week, when I got home from doing some errands on Tuesday, my manager had called and left a message saying the sort would start 90 minutes late the following day. Well, message was left at 4 pm, less than the 24 hours required to change posted schedule. So I showed up at my regular time and forced them to find me work, so I wound up ceaning the supply cages out. :)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My station uses code 43 quite a bit. This week, one day we were instructed to use code 43 for 6 minutes! I will not take a break if the CTV is late, just find something for me to do. Also this past week, when I got home from doing some errands on Tuesday, my manager had called and left a message saying the sort would start 90 minutes late the following day. Well, message was left at 4 pm, less than the 24 hours required to change posted schedule. So I showed up at my regular time and forced them to find me work, so I wound up ceaning the supply cages out. :)

I've asked this question before, but what other employer gets away with this? I'm sure there are some, but not many.

Rhoderunner

The folks at my station were told that the 43 no longer existed, so I told some of the "bolder" ones to try it, still waiting on confirmation. These are the folks who as of 1-1-12 no longer have a position because the customer they were stationed at has decided to go to SmartPost. It's always great to hear about Memphis robbing Express (Peter) to pad Ground's (Paul) coffers...but tell us how we're losing money at Express.

We were instructed by managers to use this code a few times this past week due to late jet. It's alive and well my friends.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
lunch has to be at least 20 minutes minimum'

At my place, we're told lunch (code 13) is a 30 min. minimum and we can't take a 13 or 28 within the first or, last hour or being on the clock.

message was left at 4 pm, less than the 24 hours required to change posted schedule.

What is the rule on this? I get a phone call an hr. and a half before punch in time telling me how much later the start time is. This doesn't seem right. Also, I hear guys on here talking about a "snow phone". Just for ha-ha's some one give me that number so I can call it and actually hear what it tells you.

Kind of looks like it depends on where you work as to how alive Code 43 is.

Kind of looks like it depends where you work as to which rules get followed / enforced / dropped on you in an instant.

whenIgetthere

What is the rule on this? I get a phone call an hr. and a half before punch in time telling me how much later the start time is. This doesn't seem right. Also, I hear guys on here talking about a "snow phone". Just for ha-ha's some one give me that number so I can call it and actually hear what it tells you.

The state where I work has a law which states an employer cannot change a scheduled start time less than 24 hours in advance. I have heard a lawsuit brought this change, as the snow phone was being abused by management at some stations. This is the the only way Fedex will do the right thing, by lawsuit.