Irregs and Oversize

JackStraw

Heard on the radio that UPS is raising the surcharge on these packages to $80-$100 to entice shippers to go elsewhere. I imagine preferably UPS freight. Hard to imagine them doing this unless they have finally seen the light.

TheFigurehead

At my center, they are attempting to shove about 2x more bulk than our building can handle through the system. They've got constant stoppages, and nowhere to put it. There is bulk stacked out in the aisles waiting to be put on a full belt. It's a hazard, and UPS is one angry employee away from a visit from the local inspectors and OSHA, and some serious fines.

worldwide

Heard on the radio that UPS is raising the surcharge on these packages to $80-$100 to entice shippers to go elsewhere. I imagine preferably UPS freight. Hard to imagine them doing this unless they have finally seen the light.

It's true. Those packages over 8 feet and length, over 70 pounds and over 130" in length plus girth take a lot of extra handling so if customers want UPS to handle them, they are going to be paying quite a bit more. If a package is found in the system that is over 150 pounds and over the max 165" length plus girth size limit, the shipper will be charged $500. Clearly, the message to the customer is, compensate UPS for the extra work involved in handling these shipments or call an LTL carrier to handle them. Most LTL carriers have minimum charges that start around $80-$90 plus they charge quite a bit more for delivering to a residence so there are not any bargains in that world. FedEx is introducing similar charges on these large shipments as well.

Effective December 24, 2017
The Large Package Surcharge will apply to any U.S. Domestic package with a length exceeding 96 inches or a length plus girth greater than 130 inches. The surcharge will be $80

The Over Maximum Limits charge will be $500.

The following changes will be effective July 8, 2018:
  1. The Large Package Surcharge for any U.S. Domestic package delivered to a residential address will be $90.
  2. The Additional Handling surcharge for any U.S. Domestic package exceeding 70 pounds in actual weight will be $19.00.
UPS Rates: 2018 Rate Change Information

Last edited:

Box Ox

Oh good! We'll have even more shippers inputting false dimensions and weights than usual! LOL

worldwide

Hopefully it works and they just don't pass it to the consumer.

You think the companies shipping these large items will simply absorb these new costs? I doubt it - that would eat into their profit. If customers want their 60"+ flat screen TV's, mattresses, furniture and other huge items delivered to their front door, they have to pay for that service, whether it's with UPS, FedEx or an LTL carrier.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Just like ciggerates , people don't care what it costs, theyd rather pay the $100 than leave there house and lift it themselves. Oh yeah and they will be waiting by the door all day for you so you can wrestle it inside too.

MzTeaze

At my center, they are attempting to shove about 2x more bulk than our building can handle through the system. They've got constant stoppages, and nowhere to put it. There is bulk stacked out in the aisles waiting to be put on a full belt. It's a hazard, and UPS is one angry employee away from a visit from the local inspectors and OSHA, and some serious fines.

We had inconsistent irreg handling. Some came via rollers into the trucks while others were pushed around via irreg train. It was a hassle because many got stuck on the conveyor belts while others were manually lifted off the floor onto the walkways to get pushed into the trucks.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Anyone that thinks this price surcharge will change the amount of irreggs on your truck, you’re not thinking clearly. This will only add more to UPS bottom line. Increasing the dividend, and bonus for our fearless leaders. Don’t be naive.

JackStraw

Maybe. But they aren't making the trucks any bigger and it's definitely a problem. It's gotta be a big damage factor too. Injury too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There has got to be a price point where LTL or even renting a pick up truck and hauling it home yourself makes more sense.

To me, I would never pay $100 on top of the shipping charges. I would do Ship to Store and haul it home from there.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There has got to be a price point where LTL or even renting a pick up truck and hauling it home yourself makes more sense.

To me, I would never pay $100 on top of the shipping charges. I would do Ship to Store and haul it home from there.

Shoulda gotten a Frontier instead of an Altima.;)