Irregs

Justaloader

Amazing that for 3 minutes no other packages were on that belt. That happens in our hub and management loses their damn minds. We can't have belts empty and or shut down for more than a minute. Any longer than that, people raise eyebrows, use the radios as if it's their own personal radio station and they are the jockey, etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Amazing that for 3 minutes no other packages were on that belt. That happens in our hub and management loses their damn minds. We can't have belts empty and or shut down for more than a minute. Any longer than that, people raise eyebrows, use the radios as if it's their own personal radio station and they are the jockey, etc.

Suppose it were your conveyor belt with your employees on the line------would you tolerate any down time in which those employees were idly standing by?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While working employees should always be giving a reasonable effort.

I believe in principle of "fair days work for a fair days pay".

I do not believe in the "sense of urgency" concept many management at UPS try to preach.

So rather than using the downtime to go through their cars to look for misloads you are OK with them standing around playing with their iPhones?

PTPeanuts

More than a minute?
If our belt is down for more than 10 seconds sup is turning it back on.

Justaloader

More than a minute?
If our belt is down for more than 10 seconds sup is turning it back on.

Interesting. In our hub, only person that can turn a belt back on is the person that shut it down. When I'm doing the pickoff, I have the ability to shut down the "main" belt, and a few feeder belts that lead to different doors. If I shut down the main, it's 99% of the time due to jam that someone has to physically get up on the belt to break. I watch that person, make sure they are back off the belt, and turn it back on. In that sense, if I shut the belt off, hopped up to clear a jam and in the process of doing so had the belt turned back on by a sup? That sup would lose their job on the spot. (We've already had people fired by the district manager for walking on belts that were running).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Interesting. In our hub, only person that can turn a belt back on is the person that shut it down. When I'm doing the pickoff, I have the ability to shut down the "main" belt, and a few feeder belts that lead to different doors. If I shut down the main, it's 99% of the time due to jam that someone has to physically get up on the belt to break. I watch that person, make sure they are back off the belt, and turn it back on. In that sense, if I shut the belt off, hopped up to clear a jam and in the process of doing so had the belt turned back on by a sup? That sup would lose their job on the spot. (We've already had people fired by the district manager for walking on belts that were running).

You are confusing lock out and shutting down the belt to clear a jam.

BMW-----Breaking Jams, Moving Diverters, Walking Off Belts

542thruNthru

Lock out requires that the person who shut off the belt be the only one who can turn it back on. Simply shutting off the belt does not have the same requirement.

sketch-1574438326559.jpg

You have to know how to load them to know what you're talking about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Conveyor securing means shutting off the belt, flipping the thing over the start/stop button and locking it. You are correct in that the person who secured the belt is the only one who can unsecure it.