Is a Degree worth anything at UPS?

I am new to this forum, and I have only been at UPS for about 7 months. I am currently a part -time loader. I have a bachelor's degree in Communication and I was wandering if there were any chances of advancement based on that. As far as I know, no one at the company has even acknowledged that I have a degree, or seemed interested in the fact. I have been confronted about being a part-time sup, but to my knowledge, that is a route where advancement is a long-shot. Basically, I want to know if my degree can do me any good in this company? Or, should I just keep my loader position, until something else comes along. Jobs are few and far between, especially for someone as young as I am. All I have is this degree and about 8 years in retail. I really like UPS, but I want to advance at some point.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
Most upser's have degrees believe it or not. My suggestion to you would be to get out of the Big Brown Machine ASAP. The longer you stay the harder it is to quit. Once you start getting insurance and a pension,quiting isn't a easy thing to do financially speaking. Your degree doesn't do anything for you at UPS. I would think twice about taking the plunge into part time supervision. Unless you like to be screamed at every day.:censored2: rolls down hill at UPS and you would be at the bottom of said hill. Use your talents somewhere were they will be appreciated.

softshoe

I know 3 Drivers with Communication Degrees. They are very satisified being the Delivery Guy. Take a good hard look at this company,before you get all gung ho about advancement.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
id say no....it will get you out of the operations level of ups,, but , you will never put up with the stupidity of operations if your intelligent, so moot point

happyboy

Yes! A degree means you are smart so when driving they will give you 6 extra stops knowing that you can figure a way to get them delivered.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its really too bad as the company could use people with the OP's skill, since it communicates so bad with its employees.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I suggest the OP sit down with HR to see if there are any opportunities for him to actually use his degree to advance within the company. As stated, there are more drivers with degrees than you might think. Each driver has his or her own reason as to why they chose to drive rather than use their degree. Mine was I received no job offers upon my separation from the Air Force, despite 6 months of sending resume after resume, and by chance I applied and was hired by UPS. I make more, have better benefits and a stronger pension that if I had pursued my degree.

The Communication Department has different areas of concentration. PR is one of the areas, and several Marketing classes are required for graduation. My particular concentration was Advertising/Copywriting. The thing about Communication degrees is that it can be applied to so many different fields, regardless of concentration. I even know some HR people with degrees in Communication. Knowing that its application could be flexible, that it why I chose it, (that and I decided I didn't have the patience or grammar to be an English teacher). I thought that it would lead to more possible opportunities, but with the job market the way it is, I am not competing with my peers. I am now competing with men and women who have 30 years of experience under their belt and applying for the same jobs and me. I thought being part of a company, and putting my time in would lead to a slow climb to a good position, but like I said: I don't think anyone in the building has even bothered to look at my paperwork and see what I am qualified to do.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think anyone in the building has even bothered to look at my paperwork and see what I am qualified to do.

To be blunt, why should they? You were hired as a package handler at $8.50 or so an hour. They have upheld their end of the bargain as have you. It is up to you to pursue advancement within UPS or any company. Request a meeting with the HR rep at your earliest convenience.

TSJ

My advice to you is to look outside operations for oppurtunity with your degree. Talk to your HR rep about applying for a position of your interest (found at upsjobs.com job search under professional/corporate) in the corporate environment. Moral is a lot higher than those in the operations dept. Good luck.

whiskey

Find out your center manager's local watering hole and throw a few back with him or her. That will get you much further up the UPS ladder than any degree. Although I am proud of my BS degree.

nocturnalbuck

I suggest the OP sit down with HR to see if there are any opportunities for him to actually use his degree to advance within the company. As stated, there are more drivers with degrees than you might think. Each driver has his or her own reason as to why they chose to drive rather than use their degree. Mine was I received no job offers upon my separation from the Air Force, despite 6 months of sending resume after resume, and by chance I applied and was hired by UPS. I make more, have better benefits and a stronger pension that if I had pursued my degree.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the way it has happened to me minus the air force

packageguy

If you want to move up, climb the fence, and be on there side,, It's your call. You went to college, It's all up to you.
If you ask me my stand on it. NO not worth it. But remember It's your call.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
No one can get promoted into management these days without a degree.
No one in HR is paid to go looking for talent, sad to say. YOU need to promote yourself! Let your full time manager know that you are interested in advancing yourself, and ask them what the best way to go about that is.
The other downside (or upside) is that the UPS areas that specializing in PR/Communications are generally at REGION/Corporate levels, so if you are in a small center in a small state, that means relocation. Of course, constantly relocating is a fact of all corporate life, not just UPS, although meaningless relocations have slowed down due to costs over the last 5 years.

Any big corporation is a soul-sucking experience. I still think UPS is better than most big corporations in that regard.

If you want advancement with less soul-sucking, look for jobs with small to medium companies, or even non-profits. Pay isn't as good, of course.

Just so you know, you have until you are 30 to figure out what you want to be when you grow up, so don't be afraid to take risks for a learning opportunity.