Is a grievance worth anything?

Should I file the grievance

• Yes

Votes: 28 96.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Savv

Working in small sort for over a year now, I’m not a bad worker I’m not the fastest but I’m not letting the belt stop and I’m doing what needs to be done. I show up I do my job and I go home.

I show up to my section and start working, the belt has stopped from being jammed multiple times but not from my side I notice the Ft sup kind of off to the side glaring at me, I ignore it and then he start walking down the SS lane yelling about “we need to pick up the pace you guys are sleeping if you’re not ready to work go home” after 10 minutes of that he comes up to me and says “what’s wrong with you that’s making you incapable of working faster then slow” I told him ”I feel like I am working at a moderate pace” he says “no you’re not how do you like small sort because how you’re going we might get you over to outbound where you can drag ass over there” at this point I realize he’s just angry and needs someone to intimidate so I keep moving to tend to the bags. He’s literally following me trying to be a bully over how I work. “Why are you not closing the bags at this level, who trained you, maybe you need to be trained again” he’s in my way and I need to go around him so I just said “excuse Me” and he goes “no you will look me in my face and listen” after a minute of me not responding he says “either you do your job faster or I will send you to another position or better yet don’t come back”
I feel like him being so excessive wasn’t necessary and can a sup even force you to move out of a position??? I felt like a grievance might be something I could do but is it worth it?

I voted yes, because grieving management is the right decision every time.

Grieve him for a safety violation (egress).

Grieve for harassment.

Grieve him for a safety violation (not letting you kill the belt).

Grieve him for a safety violation (telling you to fill bags by size, not weight).

Supervisors are supposed to train workers so if he's got a problem it's from him dragging ass.

Talk to your steward. Tell him or her what happened here. Or go to your local union hall and talk directly with your BM (business manager).

Please let me know if you need help finding this information otherwise Google your hometown and the word "teamsters".

There's 3 or 4 other violations in there that might not stick. But grieve them all anyway.

Thank you for all your hard work and keep doing a great job. Don't let these slugs get to you.

542thruNthru

What would they be? I’ve never had to even think about a grievance before and the union Steward is useless

I hate when people say this. I highly doubt he's useless.

Tell your steward you want to file a Article 37 harrassment grievance. Ask him nicely how to fill one out.

LeaveIt2Griever

FileFileFile
Also you won’t get any money for a harassment grievance. It’s just establishing a hostile work environment.

Sure you will.

704693E4-F17F-4CFD-BC51-B9437414B4E1.jpeg

@Savv , file the grievance and see if you can get a few of your union brothers to vouch as witnesses to the harassment.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Working in small sort for over a year now, I’m not a bad worker I’m not the fastest but I’m not letting the belt stop and I’m doing what needs to be done. I show up I do my job and I go home.

I show up to my section and start working, the belt has stopped from being jammed multiple times but not from my side I notice the Ft sup kind of off to the side glaring at me, I ignore it and then he start walking down the SS lane yelling about “we need to pick up the pace you guys are sleeping if you’re not ready to work go home” after 10 minutes of that he comes up to me and says “what’s wrong with you that’s making you incapable of working faster then slow” I told him ”I feel like I am working at a moderate pace” he says “no you’re not how do you like small sort because how you’re going we might get you over to outbound where you can drag ass over there” at this point I realize he’s just angry and needs someone to intimidate so I keep moving to tend to the bags. He’s literally following me trying to be a bully over how I work. “Why are you not closing the bags at this level, who trained you, maybe you need to be trained again” he’s in my way and I need to go around him so I just said “excuse Me” and he goes “no you will look me in my face and listen” after a minute of me not responding he says “either you do your job faster or I will send you to another position or better yet don’t come back”
I feel like him being so excessive wasn’t necessary and can a sup even force you to move out of a position??? I felt like a grievance might be something I could do but is it worth it?

Absolutely grieve any contract violations. Work at a steady, safe pace, turn the belt off any time you need to. If your supervisor wants to talk to you, turn off the belt, give him your full attention. The second you feel like the conversation could lead to discipline, tell him you decline to answer any questions until a steward is present. Tell him you expect to be treated with dignity and respect as required by article 37. Do all that as needed, he'll leave you alone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our small sort has cameras all over it. I'm sure their's does as well. They can just look at the video of the supe following Savv around.

You are assuming that the cameras actually work-----many businesses install dummy cameras in the hope that their employees can't tell the difference. If the cameras do work, you have to assume that they are actually being used to record.