Is a part time driver an actual position?

I have some questions. I'm currently FedEx express driver and I've been looking to become a ups driver since the airforce. I'm in contact with a director and manager in my area. The manager is telling me I can get on as a part time driver making 29-30 an hour. Is a part time driver an actual position? Is 29-30$ starting pay true? What would be my average hours a week? What are the pros and cons?

zero

Temporary cover drivers make 85% of what top driver rate. No average hours a week. They use you when they need you. In my center when TCDs dont drive they have to work there primary shift preload or local sort

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I have been driving full time for almost two years and I make $19.50. Why would there be someone making more than me right off the bat?

zero

Not sure there are TCDs everywhere. Im in the southern region. In my case debating going full time and since im a TCD I will keep my TCD pay throughout progression.

Temporary cover drivers make 85% of what top driver rate. No average hours a week. They use you when they need you. In my center when TCDs dont drive they have to work there primary shift preload or local sort
Are you a part time driver? From what you have seen, what would you say is the average times a week a part time driver actually drives? How long have you seen a part time driver go without driving? Isnt preload or local sort $11.50 an hr? I appreciate all the help. I have a family. So I need to know if this will be a huge pay drop from what im bringing home now.

zero

Yes I am

Depends on your part time senority. We have 8 cover drivers and im second on list, number one guy just drives at peak season. I drive 3-5 days a week. During summer and peak 5 days but every center will be different. Theres lots of people there just for insurance and dont care about driving or going full time.
preload and local sort starts out around 10 or 11

Yes I am

Depends on your part time senority. We have 8 cover drivers and im second on list, number one guy just drives at peak season. I drive 3-5 days a week. During summer and peak 5 days but every center will be different. Theres lots of people there just for insurance and dont care about driving or going full time.
preload and local sort starts out around 10 or 11
The manager told me 'worse case scenario i would get 30-50 hrs a week, but cant promise anything. Starting at about $29 an hour'. I really do appreciate all your help. I'm assuming part time driver can become full time eventually?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I thought you guys weren't guaranteed 40 but a daily min of 8?
Depends on how the contract is written.

Local 688 says " the top 90% of drivers put to work on Monday will be guaranteed 40 hours of work for the week"

But then yes you have a daily guarantee also.

PT Car Washer

Depends on how the contract is written.

Local 688 says " the top 90% of drivers put to work on Monday will be guaranteed 40 hours of work for the week"

But then yes you have a daily guarantee also.
Meaning the bottom 10% of FT drivers do not have a 40 hr. a week guarantee. TCD's have no guarantee to work except maybe their PT job.

zero

The manager told me 'worse case scenario i would get 30-50 hrs a week, but cant promise anything. Starting at about $29 an hour'. I really do appreciate all your help. I'm assuming part time driver can become full time eventually?
Yes and you stay at tcd rate of pay through progression

jbg77

I have been driving full time for almost two years and I make $19.50. Why would there be someone making more than me right off the bat?
I work pt preload and am a ptcd and make 30 when I drive. Which means your either an off the street hire or you went from pt inside w/o driving experience to ft where I've already been to school, qualified and have driven before I go ft. Just how it works.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!

Did you go full-time without being a qualified coverage driver? If so you start at bottom pay or are red-circled at part-time rate. This could be different where you are but seems to be the most common scenario from what I see on here.

My driving class had a part-time person offered a full-time position part way through our training week. His predicament was go full-time and keep his $20 an hour part-time rate until the progression went higher or turn down full-time, get qualified as a TCD and hope for another bid.

He made the choice to take the full-time job. Had he known his building would hire over 70 more full-time drivers in the next few years he could have qualified, signed another bid and started off $8 an hour higher.

I work pt preload and am a ptcd and make 30 when I drive. Which means your either an off the street hire or you went from pt inside w/o driving experience to ft where I've already been to school, qualified and have driven before I go ft. Just how it works.
I think I'll be going to class in missouri. What does the class consist of?

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I worked part time 4 years and I just don't why someone would make what I make on OT out the gate...oh well

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I am a cover driver...I don't have a route I do whatever routes have someone call in sick
Or are on vacation...but if I show up to work before start time I am guaranteed 8 hours