Is Fedex Express getting rid of minimum hours/pay guarantee?

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by Crow, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Crow

Crow New Member

Hello, I apologize if this isn't the proper place to post this type of question. I do not work for Fedex Express but my mother does, and I am hoping to get some feedback from other employees. My mother has been a package handler for over 7 years now and one of the perks she told me about was as long as she was never late, her paycheck would always be the same amount (17.5 hours) even when she would only work between 8 to 10 hours every week.

For the past few months, the evening manager at her facility would tell the package handlers that they needed to work more hours and would give them tasks like pulling out staples from time cards or address corrections. Things she never had to do as a package handler before. The manager also drove away several handlers, telling them that they weren't needed any more and that the drivers can handle their workload so now my mom's facility is down to 2 package handlers in the evening (no clue about the mornings). He even has her filling up vehicles with diesel exhaust fluid for some reason?

For a while now, this manager would say that if the package handlers did not complete these task, he would remove their guaranteed minimum pay for that week. He tried it once with a package handler, the handler threw a fit, and then the manager re-adjusted the handler's paycheck and he received his minimum pay again. My mom worked 14 hours the past two weeks and the minimum pay was gone (she was never late) so is there official announcement that Fedex decided to abolish the minimum pay guarantee throughout the entire company? Is it just her facility? I just wonder if her manager has the ability to do that. I also find it odd that he is trying to get rid of all the package handlers for the facility as well.

Thank you for any feedback!

2. Meat

Meat Active Member

How many packages, over the course of her life, has she handled?

3. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

You have to work your scheduled shift, can't be late or sick for the week. So long as you're working your scheduled hours, you're guaranteed your minimum pay.

Now, if you're scheduled for your 3.5 hours and you finish your work and the manager wants you to pull staples out of time cards, et al, you cannot refuse and just go home. You MUST work the hours you were scheduled for.

4. Crow

Crow New Member

That is what the package handler I mentioned who threw a fit was doing. Basically told the manager to shove it since he never had to do these tasks before and was used to going home by a certain time after completing his job. My mother was doing everything the manager asked though, and she still didn't get her usual minimum pay this paycheck.

5. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

If one refuses work, their minimum can get canceled. The minimum guarantee is not automatically guaranteed anymore. If they don’t work enough hours they need to ask a manager to find something for them to do to reach 17.5

6. MassWineGuy

MassWineGuy Well-Known Member

Your mom should speak with the HR person at her station’s district office and get specific answers. Some managers are unaware of or ignore hr policies. But what others have said here is probably correct.

7. FedEx GT

FedEx GT Active Member

What is wrong with you

8. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

Based on the fact that her son is posting this, I would say at least one.

9. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

This is normal, if you turn down additional work, you do not qualify for guarantee pay.

Officially, You must check with your manager for more work before you punch out
    If your manager sends you home, you get paid(minimums)

10. McFeely

McFeely Huge Member

Daughter.

11. Route 66

Route 66 Slapped Upside-da-Head Member

Pulling staples out of time cards is good work if you can find it. There are certain things that automation will never be able to replace. (I’m not certain that that’s one of them, I just enjoy using talking points - makes me feel all giddy)

12. 59 Dano

59 Dano This is 1980, can't you afford a f***ing haircut?

Having them pull staples is just plain stupid and the last person who needs to be doing ACO is a handler. Send them home with their guaranteed pay if there's nothing for them to do. Busywork just wastes their time and ticks them off.

13. SmithBarney

SmithBarney Well-Known Member

There are always Plenty of windshields to be cleaned... on the inside.

14. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

And vehicles to be swept out.

15. Crow

Crow New Member

Yes, I am her daughter. The reason I posted this instead of her is 1.) she's not really computer-literate (she's not even old...just doesn't have the patience to deal with it) and 2.) she's kind of just accepting that there will not be a minimum pay any more and that she will only get paid for the amount of hours she worked. I just think it is ridiculous that her facility is basically trying to get rid of package handlers and hand off their work to delivery drivers? Don't you think the drivers have better things to do after a long day on the road than do another position's work load? Things have been fine for years and NOW it is an issue that once package handlers are done with their work, they can't go home and the manager has to struggle to find SOMETHING for them to do? I just have a feeling that the manager is now just noting down that none of the package handlers are staying around to help out with other tasks (not true) and removes the minimum pay without informing them why. Like I said, 7 years...evening manager was there for 2 years now and was a package handler at the same facility (working alongside with my mom)...and now it's an issue?

Out of curiosity, what job position usually does staple-pulling, address corrections, and putting fluids in the vehicles/general vehicle maintenance? I always thought the first two was customer service/office workers and vehicle maintenance was something the drivers did.

Anyway, thank you all for responding.

16. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Staple pulling—managers or butt kissing couriers
    address corrections—customer service and/or couriers on light duty.
    most fluids in vehicles—couriers
    Vehicle maintenance—mechanics

17. dezguy

dezguy Well-Known Member

Depends. If ft couriers aren't busy enough and are asking for their minimums, management can easily have them doing package handler work if there is no work on road. Could explain why your mom is pulling staples instead of loading or unloading.

18. MAKAVELI

MAKAVELI Well-Known Member

Honestly your mom should be demanding her min or have them find work for her. That work really should be within their job description and she should draw the line with certain tasks such as vehicles and cleaning bathrooms. I'd take pulling staples over loading cans any day but she shouldn't be asked to do other tasks that are done normally by other positions.

19. btrlov

btrlov Member

Its not abolished... They just hope u don't put up a fight