Is Freight the best working conditions of Fedex?

Hello all,

New member and slightly new Fedex Freight employee (6 months).

I'm the type of person when I get a new job that I really research a company. Job reviews, financials, stability, turn over rate etc. I've seen all the bad reviews at Fedex but because it was so hard to find a 2nd job that fit my schedule I went a long with it.

My father is a hardcore teamster and has been for 30 years so when I told him I got a job at Fedex he almost blew his wig. I've also always worked union jobs so I know the whole forced production or you're fired game.

Onto the dirt. I got hired as a PT dock worker at Fedex freight where my primary responsibilities are loading and unloading freight in Pups and 53 footers. FedEx has certain standards (Bills per hour) they want you to hit but it's attainable without trying to kill yourself. It's a job that you work independently where you don't need to rely on others and supervisors rarely say anything to me or anyone else for that matter.

Anyways management doesn't mess with me. The starting pay at $17.66 is pretty good, you're eligible for health Benny's after 6 months, 401k match immediately (although not vested for 12 months).

Looking at pay scales I don't see much of a difference in pay from Fedex Freight to UPS freight unless you're talking 3-5 years down the line.

Negatives: no paid holidays for PT's. Paid time off is comical to say the least. However they are very flexible with requested time off and don't have issues giving time off although this is considered slow season for freight.

I've heard horror stories about Ground and Express but Freight doesn't seem too bad. Why all the hate?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hello all,

New member and slightly new Fedex Freight employee (6 months).

I'm the type of person when I get a new job that I really research a company. Job reviews, financials, stability, turn over rate etc. I've seen all the bad reviews at Fedex but because it was so hard to find a 2nd job that fit my schedule I went a long with it.

My father is a hardcore teamster and has been for 30 years so when I told him I got a job at Fedex he almost blew his wig. I've also always worked union jobs so I know the whole forced production or you're fired game.

Onto the dirt. I got hired as a PT dock worker at Fedex freight where my primary responsibilities are loading and unloading freight in Pups and 53 footers. FedEx has certain standards (Bills per hour) they want you to hit but it's attainable without trying to kill yourself. It's a job that you work independently where you don't need to rely on others and supervisors rarely say anything to me or anyone else for that matter.

Anyways management doesn't mess with me. The starting pay at $17.66 is pretty good, you're eligible for health Benny's after 6 months, 401k match immediately (although not vested for 12 months).

Looking at pay scales I don't see much of a difference in pay from Fedex Freight to UPS freight unless you're talking 3-5 years down the line.

Negatives: no paid holidays for PT's. Paid time off is comical to say the least. However they are very flexible with requested time off and don't have issues giving time off although this is considered slow season for freight.

I've heard horror stories about Ground and Express but Freight doesn't seem too bad. Why all the hate?

I don't have time for a detailed response, but the important thing to remember about Freight is that they are under the NLRA, not the RLA. That means FedEx can't create 30 year top-outs for employees or play other Express games because Freight can more easily unionize. What they have done is to impose Express-style management techniques that most employees loathe.

I'll give you more later, but Freight is no paradise.

MAKAVELI

I don't have time for a detailed response, but the important thing to remember about Freight is that they are under the NLRA, not the RLA. That means FedEx can't create 30 year top-outs for employees or play other Express games because Freight can more easily unionize. What they have done is to impose Express-style management techniques that most employees loathe.

They also share the same " pay out your ass" health plan and " non retirement plan" as Express.

MassWineGuy

As a part time Express courier I was eligible for full benefits after 90 days, I'm paid 10 cents more an hour and I like coming to work.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Bottom line - if 'FedEx' appears anywhere in the name, you can be sure it sucks.....LARGE.
(and your pa's reaction was certainly justified)

They also share the same " pay out your ass" health plan and " non retirement plan" as Express.

I work for a govt agency as my main job. Govt has the reputation of providing great benefits, and they do. However Fedex offers me a PPO with a $2500 deductible for very very cheap. I pay around $4500 a year in premiums when all is said and done for my Govt HMO. So I'm switching to the PPO and will pocket that $4500 since I never go to the doctor. And should I need to go, the $2500 deductible and OOP maximum for the fedex plan is still cheaper than my HMO. I was surprised how good the benefits were that Fedex offered for part timers in terms of health coverage. Haven't bothered to look at dental since my main employer gives me that for $12/mo.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Also I'd like to add to everyone. I'm in no way trying to hype up Fedex. I have no ties to them and honestly I don't think I'll be working there too much longer. Maybe a year or two tops. As the saying goes "I'm wondering what brown can do for me" if I was on the other side of the fence.

Most of the stuff I've heard is they work you like a dog (untrue at my service center), the pay is subpar, they write you up or fire you for any little thing, no benefits, and the list goes on. None of these are true in my experience at Fedex Freight.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Also I'd like to add to everyone. I'm in no way trying to hype up Fedex. I have no ties to them and honestly I don't think I'll be working there too much longer. Maybe a year or two tops. As the saying goes "I'm wondering what brown can do for me" if I was on the other side of the fence.

Most of the stuff I've heard is they work you like a dog (untrue at my service center), the pay is subpar, they write you up or fire you for any little thing, no benefits, and the list goes on. None of these are true in my experience at Fedex Freight.

The bottom line is that no FedEx opco offers much of a future. Any of their claims about providing good benefits or retirement are outright lies. Add-in the Genghis Khan style management and it's a losing proposition all around.

Your Dad gets it.