Is ground now delivering Express freight?

ManInBrown

Ordered something from Amazon and the third party seller did not properly fulfill the order. Filed a complaint with Amazon and I guess third party sellers can get in trouble for stuff like this. The wording on the item description was misleading about quantity. Anyways the seller immediately responded and said the package would be sent out today and received tomorrow.

I got the tracking number and the weird thing is it’s an Express tracking number, but it’s moving thru the Ground network. Progress had it landing at a Ground facility about 35 minutes from my house. There’s no express facility out there.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ordered something from Amazon and the third party seller did not properly fulfill the order. Filed a complaint with Amazon and I guess third party sellers can get in trouble for stuff like this. The wording on the item description was misleading about quantity. Anyways the seller immediately responded and said the package would be sent out today and received tomorrow.

I got the tracking number and the weird thing is it’s an Express tracking number, but it’s moving thru the Ground network. Progress had it landing at a Ground facility about 35 minutes from my house. There’s no express facility out there.
Yes. Ground has been delivering Express packages for maybe a year and a half. First it was supposed to be for rural stops. Now it’s whatever they want to switch over. Buyer beware.

fedx

Extra Large Package
RLA? Lol fat Freddy owns all of Washington

Dano in 3..2.1

The company is intermixing Express and Ground packages so much that the RLA protection should be removed. Express is trying to be like UPS, but still maintain their RLA protection unlike UPS. UPS should raise concerns about it to the government as unfair competition.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Dano in 3..2.1
It’ll be interesting once Fat Freddy kicks the bucket, then who’ll grease all the D.C. politicians?

As far as Dano goes, oh he’ll be here soon to try to muddy the waters and confuse the issues by talking about football.

purplelife

If fedex continues and moves most of express freight to ground contractors, like what seems to be happening, is there even a threat of union? Does rla even matter? Wouldn't all of the contractors and drivers have to do it but yet they aren't fedex employees?

ManInBrown

I can now see UPS challenging Fat Freddy’s precious RLA status and rightfully so.
Just called the hall to make them aware. They had no idea and said this was the first they were hearing of it, and it would definitely be looked into. They were very excited to receive this little nugget of minutia

fedx

Extra Large Package
If fedex continues and moves most of express freight to ground contractors, like what seems to be happening, is there even a threat of union? Does rla even matter? Wouldn't all of the contractors and drivers have to do it but yet they aren't fedex employees?

Just the threat of not having RLA protection would do wonders for Express employees. You would most likely see the pay progression lowered to 7 years instead of 10+ and you'd likely see guaranteed annual raises-just to keep the union out. I think the Ground contractors can unionize right now. They can already organize at each contractor location and not company wide. You'd have to as It'll Be Fine to be sure, but I think they can already. But if Express did unionize as a result of losing RLA, then you would see the union fighting to combine Express and Ground and make them all company employees instead of the contractor model at Ground. That's my guess.

bacha29

I can now see UPS challenging Fat Freddy’s precious RLA status and rightfully so.
Chances are they will first focus on getting a new Teamster contract in place. Afterward, you can't rule out UPS filing suit in federal court challenging the RLA exemption.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Chances are they will first focus on getting a new Teamster contract in place. Afterward, you can't rule out UPS filing suit in federal court challenging the RLA exemption.

UPS needs to. It's definitely not fair competition when one company is protected by the RLA exemption while the other isn't. Add to the fact that the one with RLA protection is skirting around it by having their Ground unit deliver aircraft hauled parcels.

ManInBrown

That’s funny they’re just now finding out.
In all fairness it was a secretary. Prettt sure she’s just collecting a paycheck and not up on the inner workings of RLA status. When she said not aware, pretty sure she was speaking for herself. And on the off chance the Teamsters who should know dont, that’s an utter failure on their part.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Dano in 3..2.1
This. FedEx appears to be transferring the Express packages to Ground incrementally, probably testing the waters to see how much they can get away with before the lawsuits start flying and UPS pushes for an equal playing field in terms of labor law. Smith spent a lot of time and money paying-off politicians to either look the other way or pretend that FedEx isn't blatantly violating labor laws (they are). I'd tend to agree with Makaveli in that long-term, this scheme/scam isn't going to fly and that Express will rightfully lose it's RLA status. It's about time.

Although FedEx has tried to protect itself from consumer lawsuits by claiming they can move packages by any means they choose, it isn't much of a leap to have disgruntled customers cry foul when they get charged exorbitant Express rates only to have their delivery fail miserably because it was tendered to Ground, which took 5 days to get it there instead of 1. Look at all the bad press FedEx got over a missed breast milk delivery for an NFL player. Wait until it's a cornea transplant, vital drug shipment or similar real-life emergency, not just an inconvenienced NFL star.

I've been railing against FedEx for years on precisely this topic, and it's time for Express to lose the BS "Express Carrier Exemption" and start exposing the way Smith has paid for special treatment from compliant politicians. Expect lots of Right Wing wailing about how "commerce will be disrupted' or that FedEx is just being "creative" and creating jobs the American Way etc.

I await Dano to tell us how it's all legal.

zeev

Know a seafood company that was shipping 2 day air and packages were delayed and had ended up in the Ground system. Delayed seafood is ruined , result no longer a FedEx customer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Know a seafood company that was shipping 2 day air and packages were delayed and had ended up in the Ground system. Delayed seafood is ruined , result no longer a FedEx customer.
Crapping on the customer is part of the new, enhanced Gold Medal Experience (GME).