Is hubby hurting his chances of going driver?

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
hey re-read what she first said... he works a 9 to 5 job, plus UPS, don't know if you ever tried working a ft job and a pt job as well, but its certainly not easy. B4 you criticize someone of "not caring about his job" you should def be sure that is the problem.... plus in this economy, I bet his coordinator probably doesn't mind having someone to work for less time or not at all!

I worked 2 jobs for 3 years until I got my driving bid. I can count on one hand the amount of times I was late to either one of my jobs. Being on time says allot about yourself. JMO

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
In my opinion

How could you work 9-5 then work 12-3, that doesn't give him a good night's sleep at all. His body is reacting to this and making him late when he can't get up.

Plus it sounds like, you two are fighting when you should be giving him a little more credit. Age would also be a factor here. In your 20's you could probably pull that off. In your 40's, you're just destroying your body.

Being late is not tolerated at all at UPS. If he is getting away with it, then he must have an easy going supervisor. Or the area he works in doesn't necessarily need him.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
hey re-read what she first said... he works a 9 to 5 job, plus UPS, don't know if you ever tried working a ft job and a pt job as well, but its certainly not easy. B4 you criticize someone of "not caring about his job" you should def be sure that is the problem.... plus in this economy, I bet his coordinator probably doesn't mind having someone to work for less time or not at all!

Um......., yes here comes some sarcasm. Haven't all the part timers that became full time had to work another job to make ends meet? When I was on preload, I didn't live with Mommy and Daddy. If I didn't have a "full time" job, besides my UPS stuff, I'd find full time daily work. I installed pool plumbing, delivered auto parts and drove a school bus, yes a school bus. If not, I would have been homeless.

These are only a few of the jobs I did, btw, while waiting to go driving. So, yes I know what it's like. As far as being late, I'm not, even when riding my bicycle. Honestly, if you have a problem showing up, why bother?

As far as my statement in my previous post, I say that the wife may want to take over either the night or day job. This way you'll both be working and getting the proper amount of sleep. I say this of course, not knowing if wifey has her own job, though it sounds to me as though she doesn't. You can swap child duty, if you have some, and life would feel so much better. This again, has been MHO.:peaceful:

I worked 2 jobs for 3 years until I got my driving bid. I can count on one hand the amount of times I was late to either one of my jobs. Being on time says allot about yourself. JMO

I knew I wasn't the only one.:wink2:

brownrodster

In my opinion

Being late is not tolerated at all at UPS. If he is getting away with it, then he must have an easy going supervisor. Or the area he works in doesn't necessarily need him.

When I was PT one of our 22.3 guys punched in late around 150 times one year. I think he got written up once for all late punches for the year and was told try not to be late next year. lol.

Seriously, it sounds like this ladies husband is late because his supervisors tolerate it. If they chose not to tolerate it I bet he would do a better job.

ih8tbrn

Banned
He's worked for nearly 3.5 years and he's been 45 to an hour late every two weeks? Sounds like he wants to work at his convenience rather than UPS. Yes, they will take this into consideration....who would'nt?

What's convenient about working a full time job then getting up at in the middle of the night to unload trailers for 3 or 4 hours every night?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Your past can hurt you! Remember,UPS never forgets! Lets say its your turn to go get tested to drive p/car you make one little mistake,small one like you forgot to use hand rail! Pooof!!! you fail! Other guy below you makes small mistake,lets say he forgets to turn on left blinker,but he is a good guy,shows up on time stays under radar the EMPIRE likes him!! Well he passes with flying colors with the sup saying ''he's trainable'' And mr.I 'M LATE twice a week gets a see yah next year!!! this is called UPS PAYBACK!! If you think I'm wrong,YOU havn't worked here long enough.......

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Your past can hurt you! Remember,UPS never forgets! Lets say its your turn to go get tested to drive p/car you make one little mistake,small one like you forgot to use hand rail! Pooof!!! you fail! Other guy below you makes small mistake,lets say he forgets to turn on left blinker,but he is a good guy,shows up on time stays under radar the EMPIRE likes him!! Well he passes with flying colors with the sup saying ''he's trainable'' And mr.I 'M LATE twice a week gets a see yah next year!!! this is called UPS PAYBACK!! If you think I'm wrong,YOU havn't worked here long enough.......

That's so true. We even refer to our center manager, as Lord Vader.:happy2:

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Seriously, it sounds like this ladies husband is late because his supervisors tolerate it. If they chose not to tolerate it I bet he would do a better job.

JMO, but I don't think a tolerant Sup. is any reason to show up late at work. Would the sup tolerate the rest of the shift showing up late? My guess is no. I think with 6,000,000. people out of work, this guy would make sure he doesn't make it 6,000,001. There are a few people out there that would arrive on time every day that would love to have his job! In my center they are starting to document late shows and are handing out warning letters for it.

squirlygirly

Hello,

My husband is working a graveyard shift at a UPS hub near us and he has been for 3.5 years. He works a 9-5 day job too so we're anxious for him to go driver so we can have more of a normal life.

Because of his difficult schedule, sleep is an issue. Consequently, he is late to work (he starts at midnight and usually gets off at about 3:00) often. Sometimes he is so late he just calls in to use an option day.

This causes MANY arguments between the 2 of us. My argument is that he should be a better, more reliable worker because he's not going to go driver by being a crappy worker. It shows a low level of work ethic and I don't think any employer likes that. His argument is that as long as he puts in the time, he'll go driver eventually. It's pretty much a guarantee in his eyes.

So here's the question: Is he hurting his chances of going driver by not showing himself to be a dependable worker? Or does UPS not care about that and when his name is at the top of the list, he'll get called?

I know I can't get guaranteed answers here. I'm just looking for opinions of others who may know better than I would.

Thanks so much!! :happy-very:

**Edited to add: He's probably late to work by about 45 minutes to an hour and this happens about every 2 weeks. Sometimes more often than that.

Does anyone take notice that "the wife" hasn't responded to any of this? Can't remember who stated it about it "taking that toll on the body" but I can't agree more.

Thanks so much!!:happy-very:... IMO appears to be a woman that relies totally on her man to bring it AWWLLL home and if he can't..."WELL THEN...IF YOU CAN'T MAKE ENOUGH AT YOUR FULL TIME JOB TO SUPPORT ME AND MY NEEDS I SUGGEST YOU GET ANOTHER JOB!!":happy-very:

P

pickup

Ups wifey: first let me congratulate you on your choice of avatar. Wise choice. Secondly, I found your first post to be well written. Let's play it safe and assume that his being late can be an impediment to becoming a driver (which I think is your suspicion and the postings here will be shown to your husband to back them up.) Is there anything that can be done to get him to work on time? Can he cut back on one hour a day at his other job, to be on time at ups? Is there a way for him to be more prepared to get things done quicker so he can get more sleep? You know your situation better than anyone so think of things to get him to work on time. My one suggestion: You be the alarm clock and yell and scream (albeit with a loving smile on your face) to wake him up and give him an incentive to be happy to get out of house and be at ups. He'll thank you in the long run.
As for the past haunting him: fair enough but he can't go back in Peter Potamus's wayback machine (if you get the reference great, but I just throw it in there to entertain covemaster and others) but his showing up on time now and the future can go along way to burying that past. Good luck.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
I was curious how hard it is to make the transition from part time preloader to full time driver.

I know there is a 30 day probationary period, but do you need to keep your second job when you are starting out as a driver?
Is it like being a part time driver because your not guaranteed 40 hours and never know when you will be called in as a cover driver? If UPS expects you to come in everyday and be on call in case someone doesn't come into work that day, how can you have a second job not knowing if you will be working at UPS that day or not?

I know it's a lot of questions, and I appreciate any answers provided.