Is it bad right now? Thinking of applying

Brotherrr

I was a DH this past peak and I'm thinking of applying for Handler. Is it a nightmare there right now? My goal is extra money for my family and health insurance (though I understand itll take a while being PT). My husband still has his job for now but took a 25% pay cut. I'm doing school with the kids til May 22nd but after that they're done. They're driving me crazy anyway, would be good to get out of the house and get some cash.
The location I worked DH at isnt hiring right now. Does it matter? I wish they were but oh well, beggars cant be choosers. Worried about money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Twilight Shift; their father.

Are you doing it for the benefits, money or just to get out of the house? If it is for one of the latter two, why not apply at Walmart, Target, Costco, etc? If driving is your thing, all of the food delivery companies are desperate for people. Door Dash, Uber Eats, Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc.

If your heart is set on UPS put in your application so that it will be on file when a position becomes open.

Has hubby looked in to the possibility of filing for partial unemployment to make up the difference in his pay? I don't know if it is even an option but it is worth looking in to.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I was a DH this past peak and I'm thinking of applying for Handler. Is it a nightmare there right now? My goal is extra money for my family and health insurance (though I understand itll take a while being PT). My husband still has his job for now but took a 25% pay cut. I'm doing school with the kids til May 22nd but after that they're done. They're driving me crazy anyway, would be good to get out of the house and get some cash.
The location I worked DH at isnt hiring right now. Does it matter? I wish they were but oh well, beggars cant be choosers. Worried about money.

Hiring freeze right now. I doubt they are hiring at any location right now.
OP, UpstateNYUpser is a retired crank who is an anti union ... Something.

The hours on preload are great. You'll have most of the rest of your day free.
Don't get me wrong. It's rough work. And you won't have much fun. But it'll get you more money, and you'll have job security with a potential future for driving making very very good money.

We're heavy, but not awful.
Just wait till the hiring freeze is over. Then they'll want you, if you want the work.

Brotherrr

Are you doing it for the benefits, money or just to get out of the house? If it is for one of the latter two, why not apply at Walmart, Target, Costco, etc? If driving is your thing, all of the food delivery companies are desperate for people. Door Dash, Uber Eats, Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc.

If your heart is set on UPS put in your application so that it will be on file when a position becomes open.

Has hubby looked in to the possibility of filing for partial unemployment to make up the difference in his pay? I don't know if it is even an option but it is worth looking in to.
Money and benefits. Our current medical is not very good. I have no doubt it's hard work so I do know there are easier jobs out there but I'm looking for those union benefits to be honest.
He did look into partial unemployment but he said it wouldnt apply to him; cant remember the details of why right now.

Don't get me wrong. It's rough work. And you won't have much fun. But it'll get you more money, and you'll have job security with a potential future for driving making very very good money.

Just wait till the hiring freeze is over. Then they'll want you, if you want the work.
We just filled some full time bids. We are going to need part timers to replace those people.

Brotherrr

Thank you. There are some positions posted on the website for locations near me, so that's strange if they're in a hiring freeze. Hm. Well who knows! All I can do is apply and see what happens.

Brotherrr

Thank you. There are some positions posted on the website for locations near me, so that's strange if they're in a hiring freeze. Hm. Well who knows! All I can do is apply and see what happens.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Are you willing to transfer/travel without the husband?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Hiring freeze right now.
My center just brought on 4 peak helpers into preload. They started Monday. So I don’t know what to think anymore. Did not see our local hr hiring person around. No tour of center either.

Indecisi0n

Are you a gurl ?

D

Deleted member 77202

What does DH mean?

D

Deleted member 77202

Driver helper
Called a runner in some centers.

Thanks for your quick reply!

The second I clicked the 'Post Reply' button, it came to me that it stood for Driver's Helper. LOL

Actually, from what I'm hearing from the people on these forums, most UPSs are pretty darn busy right now.

But regardless, I think all UPS buildings do quite a bit of hiring in May & June to cover the upcoming vacations of the long-time employees.

Plus, the people hired in May & June -- if they are decent workers -- will likely be kept on for this year's peak season.