Is it bad right now? Thinking of applying

542thruNthru

Why do you assume it is the womans job to watch the kids?
Would you ask that of a Male poster who was trying to get hired?

Wait... it's not?
CYx6kocWsAAF017.jpg_large.jpg

Brotherrr

Read her post---hubby has a FT job. I initially assumed that she wanted to work the preload.
Correct; and yes it kind of is my job to watch the kids, since I'm not working right now.
I have a couple dumb questions: 1) what is preload and why does everyone seem to hate it? 2) since I can really only do Twilight Shift, I just wondered if there was any difference in the shifts as far as what you're doing, or are they basically all the same? 3) if your spouse has health insurance already, you can or cannot add them and your family (assuming you stick around long enough to become eligible)? 4) is package handler easier or harder than DH, or just different?
Looks like the closest location to me has no positions right now but I keep checking every day. Your guys' benefits are absolutely amazing. It must be such peace of mind.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Preload is where they load the package cars.

Twilight is where they unload the package cars and sort the packages to the destination hub.

The preload is far more intense than the twilight.

You should be able to add your spouse and children to your health insurance. You could then use yours as the primary and his as the secondary.

Package handler is much more physically difficult than driver helper.

Why???

Correct; and yes it kind of is my job to watch the kids, since I'm not working right now.
I have a couple dumb questions: 1) what is preload and why does everyone seem to hate it? 2) since I can really only do Twilight Shift, I just wondered if there was any difference in the shifts as far as what you're doing, or are they basically all the same? 3) if your spouse has health insurance already, you can or cannot add them and your family (assuming you stick around long enough to become eligible)? 4) is package handler easier or harder than DH, or just different?
Looks like the closest location to me has no positions right now but I keep checking every day. Your guys' benefits are absolutely amazing. It must be such peace of mind.

I have done preload for 12 years and twilight a few times.
1. Preload is loading the package cars for delivery. It starts early in the morning between 3-5 am most places. People hate it because you are loading 3 or 4 cars with 1,000 or so pieces between them for about 4 or 5 hours. You have to place these packages on a certain spot on the floor or shelf and they are suppose to all magically fit in these locations. These packages vary from evelopes to 150 lb or greater couches, tables, ect..
2. Preload is guaranteed a 3 and 1/2 hour shift minnimum at pretty much a set time. Twilight or local sort as we call it has no minnimum time guaranteed and no real set schedule. Local sort unloads the pickups from the day and puts the packages in trailers to go to the hubs. This can be very hard work if you are loading a trailer or unloading heavy pickups. It can also be very easy if just unloading pickups from residential areas. Plus you are not making objects fit into their magical spots in cars just taking them out of the car.
3. Yes, you can add people with insurance to your plan at least where I am.
4. Package handler is harder in that you have to make the impossible possible sometimes. However the benefits are great if you have the vision to see that far ahead. Summer is coming so if you get in the door now you will be needed greatly in most centers as a ton of people are on vacation soon.
So in summary twilight or local sort is pretty much a benefit gig in my opinion. Preload is more of a benefits money combo as you will get more hours.

Brotherrr

I have done preload for 12 years and twilight a few times.
1. Preload is loading the package cars for delivery. It starts early in the morning between 3-5 am most places. People hate it because you are loading 3 or 4 cars with 1,000 or so pieces between them for about 4 or 5 hours. You have to place these packages on a certain spot on the floor or shelf and they are suppose to all magically fit in these locations. These packages vary from evelopes to 150 lb or greater couches, tables, ect..
2. Preload is guaranteed a 3 and 1/2 hour shift minnimum at pretty much a set time. Twilight or local sort as we call it has no minnimum time guaranteed and no real set schedule. Local sort unloads the pickups from the day and puts the packages in trailers to go to the hubs. This can be very hard work if you are loading a trailer or unloading heavy pickups. It can also be very easy if just unloading pickups from residential areas. Plus you are not making objects fit into their magical spots in cars just taking them out of the car.
3. Yes, you can add people with insurance to your plan at least where I am.
4. Package handler is harder in that you have to make the impossible possible sometimes. However the benefits are great if you have the vision to see that far ahead. Summer is coming so if you get in the door now you will be needed greatly in most centers as a ton of people are on vacation soon.
So in summary twilight or local sort is pretty much a benefit gig in my opinion. Preload is more of a benefits money combo as you will get more hours.
Thanks for all the info. I am not trying to live off the pay since my husband does make a decent living, but just make some extra money for a rainy day and get good benefits (also worried about his job security right now with everything going on).
So you've stuck with Preload because the pay and hours are better? I can only do PT nights anyway and it sounds like Twilight is less hours, correct?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Both are guaranteed 3.5 hours per shift but, yes, the preload generally gets more hours than the twilight. If you do get hired and they do ask you to go home before the 3.5 politely but firmly ask them for your guarantee.

AwashBwashCwash

Depending on how big the center to which you are applying is, you might have a difficult time just immediately landing a twilight spot.
A lot of preloaders will instantly bid to be switched to twilight the moment a spot opens up.
Twilight sucks pretty bad but preload is by far the worst job at UPS.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

preload = hell on earth

Twilight = a walk in the park