Is it me or are these packages getting heavier and heavier?

BurntSienna

I've been trying to qualify as a full time driver. Been at it a little over 2 years. I'm currently back to working preload. I have no problem with hard work and I'm not a complainer but today I had to laugh at the amount of bulk and over 70 packages I had to lift off the bottom belt. It was ridiculous. Just back breaking grunt work. I'm not young but I'm in good shape.
I've heard and read some things about how the size and weight of packages is a lot more than what it used to be. Is it true? What's going on? Don't know how long I can keep doing this without going full time. Looking at driving another peak season. Uggghh. I've been holding on to keep my seniority and because I need the medical benefits for my family. In other words, they've got me by the balls. Thoughts?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes, the packages are getting bigger and heavier.

Yesterday I had 2 pieces of RTA furniture and a roll up mattress for a student in college housing. It was all I could do to get them up on to the front porch.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Most of the smalls are going to the Post Office, leaving us with furniture and 40lb bags of dog food in dilapidated boxes.
Yet somehow, due to technological advances, we are expected to move more pieces faster?
SMH

JL 0513

These are all the things people used to go the store and pick up themselves now they can get everything online. 45 lb bags of dog food is a great example. So instead of someone picking that up at Walmart and pulling right to their front door, we have to lug it from the street all the way to their house.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Most of the smalls are going to the Post Office, leaving us with furniture and 40lb bags of dog food in dilapidated boxes.
Yet somehow, due to technological advances, we are expected to move more pieces faster?
SMH

The rotation of the earth has slowed creating a decrease in the gravitational pull of the earth. Therefore allowing us to move faster. TTKU

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

These are all the things people used to go the store and pick up themselves now they can get everything online. 45 lb bags of dog food is a great example. So instead of someone picking that up at Walmart and pulling right to their front door, we have to lug it from the street all the way to their house.

Think of it as job security.

Two Peaks ago I was delivering an add/cut on our former AFB. I had a case of diapers for an obviously worried young mother. "Oh, thank God you're here, I was down to my last two diapers". She was serious. I didn't say a word but shook my head all the way back to the pkg car.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's all because a lot of sites now offer free shipping. One would be a fool to lug that stuff home when they can get it delivered free.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Think of it as job security.

Two Peaks ago I was delivering an add/cut on our former AFB. I had a case of diapers for an obviously worried young mother. "Oh, thank God you're here, I was down to my last two diapers". She was serious. I didn't say a word but shook my head all the way back to the pkg car.
I wonder if she would have thought to go to the store to buy some if her box had gotten lost?