Is it our fault?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Super, what if UPS told you that you weren't getting your raise this year and maybe not next year. How would you react? It's not like your lossing your job or anything drastic like that, but maybe the squeeze should be felt from all hands instead of just the management.

It is being felt by all sides instead of management. There's people who are going to sweat loosing their houses or cars because of layoffs. Just because management isn't getting a raise this year, doesn't mean they're sweating loosing their houses or cars. Get your facts straight.

Top Fuel Friday

Next Day Air
There are a few friend/T sups that I work with that are bothered by it, our P/T Sup raises are capped at 2%. It's hard for me to feel for the friend/t sups when they are still going to be making over 50 grand at least, even if they are brand new (With our cost of living that's pretty decent). Vs someone working P/T who salary is in the very low 20's going up 7 or so bucks a week, personally I've always put in the extra hard work and effort to earn a 5% raise since I was in management.

I understand the economy is putting everyone through hard times and it's hard to remain profitable. With other gateways consolidating more volume is being routed to our facility, they are predicting 900K on a nightly basis by the summer time, It just looks to me like in these hard times they would want to recruit and keep a higher quality of leadership that rewards such as the chances of a nice raise brings a company.

However, to go along with that, as a company, they can't be afraid to give a crappy P/T sup little or no raise, which is what I think the problem is. They don't want to seem like they are actually punishing a management person with a low raise, but instead do the same thing to everyone so it's all equal. Basically I'm going to get the same raise as the Sup that called in every time the weather was bad, had accidents or air craft strikes, or just overall can't do the job. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I feel and I've often been told that I'm a great supervisor by both higherups and my employees.

We had an administrative employee a few years ago that was the absolute worst at everything, every time we tried to terminate her HR told us to keep her. Bad attendance, Bad attitude, mistakes, documentation and traing up the wazoo to try to make her better with no success, and the list goes on, I was really shocked that we couldn't do anything about this person (Eventually she quit). Anyway, When her sup told her we weren't giving her a raise she called HR and they made us give her a 2% raise because we didn't want to "single her out." I really think that's what it comes down to.

To me if you're crap, you're raise should be crap. Not give everyone an low raise.

(sorry for the rant)

In the end, they are still paying full tuition, books, and bonuses based on my academic performance, that's at least 14K a year (as with all P/T employees in the Louisville air district) so I can't complain or be put off too much. I just know this year I'll be concentrating a lot more on completing my education before that program suffers cutbacks, than constantly going the extra 5 miles at work like I did last year.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
Hi over9five, Im in package, was in tractor. But I would have gotten on that ladder if need be, you know that whole better bleed Brown thing! LOL

backinbrown

respect my authority
And so are trucking companies that need class A drivers.

I attribute the McDonalds threat to how unprofessional package center management is.

I would never hear that line come out of anyones mouth in the feeder operation.

Hey Feeder

My comment of they are still hiring was meant that they are still saying it.

hope i didnt give you the impression that i was telling you to go to Mcdonalds

mnnice

It is being felt by all sides instead of management. There's people who are going to sweat loosing their houses or cars because of layoffs. Just because management isn't getting a raise this year, doesn't mean they're sweating loosing their houses or cars. Get your facts straight.
The facts are straight. No one should make a comment like I'm glad it is happening to them instead of me. Why is it when it affects management it's OK, but if it was affecting you the FACTS would be different. UPS is a company of people that should be working together rather that wishing ill harm on others. I agree, you have to look out for yourself, but that doesn't give you the right to make comments about others.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The facts are straight. No one should make a comment like I'm glad it is happening to them instead of me. Why is it when it affects management it's OK, but if it was affecting you the FACTS would be different. UPS is a company of people that should be working together rather that wishing ill harm on others. I agree, you have to look out for yourself, but that doesn't give you the right to make comments about others.

You know, it could be that you don't work in a union shop, but the majority of us do work in a union shop. We expect to get paid as per contract. Management made a choice to go without the contract when they went into management. I'm not saying it doesn't suck for them not to get a raise, I would be pissed, but their are people hurting worse than management, so I'll worry about those people instead. Like I said, they're not starving.

UPS44GAL

I dont know if anyone experiences the same situation as we do at our ctr but our ft sup are never available. They seem to always be at home w/house shoes on takin a nap or something. They will be at the ctr during preload and after that they r totally unavailable. The pt sup at our ctr is the one w/the work and less pay. Ft sup making 6000.00 per month need to step up and do there job. The pt sup are less payed and work there butts off doing the ft sup jobs. They dont need a raise they make plenty at our ctr for what lil work they do...

Ptrunner

Lets see. Management continues to have ethics problems left and right. And were suppose to be working together.

Im a part-timer and one of my co-workers doesn't have balls voicing for his 3.5. So ill go home so he can get his 3.5 at times. The pt-sup knows this and says to me you can go home this person is coming to take my place. I smelled something fishy about it because my co-worker was on a different belt and we had a mess on the docks. It turns out my co-worker was never asked and left the building. The pt-supervisor blatantly lied. Just to get his staff bonus and production bonus. In these dire times Im sure UPS is having its managment do these similar shenanigans. I don't feel a sense bad for managment, theres too much of them and they have screwed endless union employees.

Also the company is making a few billion in profit if you dont count the central pension pull out. Theyre doing fine. They have been awfully good about getting their numbers and their making out now that gas has gone down and the customer prices are very high. Our company is fine. Our union just doesnt have enough leadership and backbone to stick together nationally and locally to make sure layoffs dont happen. The economy is scaring everyone, most importantly the union.

backinbrown

respect my authority
"Our union just doesnt have enough leadership and backbone to stick together nationally and locally to make sure layoffs dont happen"

does it say in contract tht UPS cant layoff employee's?

Or does it give direction on what to do if employee is laid off.

I am not sticking up for UPS but would it be better if they didn't do layoff's

and instead went out of the pkg business,

if you think all ups is is a pkg delivery company you are wrong.

They are more like a real estate company, with investments everywhere.

they could cut and run anytime and still make money without us. jmo

Ptrunner

"Our union just doesnt have enough leadership and backbone to stick together nationally and locally to make sure layoffs dont happen"

does it say in contract tht UPS cant layoff employee's?

Or does it give direction on what to do if employee is laid off.

I am not sticking up for UPS but would it be better if they didn't do layoff's

Yeah it does say in the contract they have to maintain the number of 22.3 jobs. Yeah they can layoff in Texas but then they better create the ones they took from Texas in lets say Michigan.

Our union isnt sticking together in this provision of the contract.

8 years of Bush cronies running the NLRB killed union strength over America.

So UPS can post a few billion in profit and youre saying ....oh the union has to bend over for the company because the economy is back.

UPS has been profiting like crazy with the consessions we made with last contract. and the concessions the union is making now by letting UPS get away with breaking the contract left and right.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Yeah it does say in the contract they have to maintain the number of 22.3 jobs. Yeah they can layoff in Texas but then they better create the ones they took from Texas in lets say Michigan.

Our union isnt sticking together in this provision of the contract.

8 years of Bush cronies running the NLRB killed union strength over America.

So UPS can post a few billion in profit and youre saying ....oh the union has to bend over for the company because the economy is back.

UPS has been profiting like crazy with the consessions we made with last contract. and the concessions the union is making now by letting UPS get away with breaking the contract left and right.

Like i said i am NOT sticking up for UPS

CMON i didnt say union has to bend over

I was sticking up for union and it was my opinion, people are so quick to bash the union.

I just went to my locals meeting sunday and we discussed the layoff,

I mean no disrespect from my next question to you

Do you go to your local meetings?

Have they had this discussion about the layoffs with you?

I am just curious what other locals are saying

backinbrown

respect my authority
My locals Meetings are the 2nd Sunday of the month,

is it the same day everywhere?

It is sad how many people don't go to union meetings to here the facts about what is going on.

Everyone of us has shop stewards, if anyone has a question ask them, if they don't know the answer they will find out. It is there job.

If you go to the meetings you can address your concerns, You do pay dues they will listen, I am lucky enough to have BA's who have 40 yrs in as teamsters, and are more than willing to listen and answer questions.

These guys pull no punches if something is not right they are all over it, I have alot of respect for them.

If it was not for those TEAMSTERS were would we be today.

Going to be a sad day when the true blue teamsters all retire. jmho

Ptrunner

No im just a part-timer but i chatter with fulltimers and feeders and the layoffs arent exactly layoffs. Theyre moving people around. Like feeders are becoming inside-inside guys and alot of people have voluntary layoffs. But its coming to that point where the voluntary layoffs want back and its pushing back and forth. We havent laid off any part-timers to my knowledge.

backinbrown

respect my authority
OK, i am missing the problem then, i am not understanding what the union did wrong from the original post?

Might have gone over my head.

They still have the same amount of 22.3 jobs just different people doing them.

sounds like you are upset that you went home because supervisor tricked you into thinking buddy was staying am i right? If I am correct then you should be upset about that.

You are part time, That does not mean you can't go to meetings and listen and ASK questions, you pay dues my Friend.

So i don't think your problem is with the union, but you are entitled to your opinion.

you talk to other drivers do they go to the meetings, sometimes people see things a certain way and we all talk outside before work and we all complain, but sometimes i can answer a negative thing someone says about union by telling them what was said at the meetings.

Not everyone can go to union meetings we have families, i personally choose to go. i understand that but we can all stay informed by asking our stewards and Ba's questions.

JMO mean no offense to anyone

Ptrunner

OK, i am missing the problem then, i am not understanding what the union did wrong from the original post?

Might have gone over my head.

They still have the same amount of 22.3 jobs just different people doing them.

sounds like you are upset that you went home because supervisor tricked you into thinking buddy was staying am i right? If I am correct then you should be upset about that.

If you read up on the boards and makeupsdeliver.org and other people, theyre still not keeping up with the numbers. There are areas of the country that they're not keeping up with the promise of keeping the numbers up. And the union isnt holding ups accountable on that promise as hard as they should be because of either 1. theyre afraid of the economy or 2. Teamster reps are in cohoots with UPS

I didn't go home that night by the way, I smelled something fishy because after I said no, he went and asked a full-timer in my area if he would go home early. Then i talked to my friend the next day and they never asked him to stay, he wanted to but the supervisors on the area he was at told him we were done on our end. So two supervisors lied to keep costs down.

ImpactedTSG

UPS is a company of people that should be working together rather that wishing ill harm on others.
Unless you get rid of the union or make everyone union that will NEVER happen. There is too much of a us vs. them mentality. At least that's how it was when I was there.