Is it possible to change work shifts at UPS

MajorArmedMan

Just wandering, right now I work preload in the early morning shift. Would it be possible to change my shift to afternoon or evening shift?.

km3

Yes. Procedures may vary from building to building. I'd suggest contacting your steward to figure out what the procedure is in your building.

Keep in mind, it's all done in seniority order like everything else around here, and even if you're at the top of the seniority list of people wanting to switch, they still have no obligation to let you if there isn't an open position on the shift you want to move to, and if you don't have 6 months of seniority.

Also, I recall a provision in the contract saying that only 25% of the people on a shift can transfer in a calendar year. If you're in a small building, that may come into play being November now.

PT Car Washer

Yes. Procedures may vary from building to building. I'd suggest contacting your steward to figure out what the procedure is in your building.

Keep in mind, it's all done in seniority order like everything else around here, and even if you're at the top of the seniority list of people wanting to switch, they still have no obligation to let you if there isn't an open position on the shift you want to move to, and if you don't have 6 months of seniority.

Also, I recall a provision in the contract saying that only 25% of the people on a shift can transfer in a calendar year. If you're in a small building, that may come into play being November now.
I don't think you can bid jobs in November and December. My building has had several vacancies last month and will just appoint a driver to the open routes until after the new year.

By The Book

Just wandering, right now I work preload in the early morning shift. Would it be possible to change my shift to afternoon or evening shift?.
There might be someone from the local sort (pm shift) that might want to work the morning shift. Do you want to change shifts or do you need to?

PT Car Washer

As long as you have worked your sort for 6 months, you should be allowed to switch instead of hiring someone off the street for the other sort. You may not have a choice of your job depending on how much seniority you have.

km3

I don't think you can bid jobs in November and December. My building has had several vacancies last month and will just appoint a driver to the open routes until after the new year.

I didn't think of that until after I posted. Now that I think of it, they didn't let me transfer until February (and the actual transfer didn't happen until March because management ignored procedure...had to threaten to grieve it).

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Also depends on building size. Previous building I was in, you could ask in the morning and be on local sort the next day. Just depends on the need.