Is it possible to go from a preloader to unloader.

Al-linskiii

Hi, I almost have my one year and I'm wondering if it's possible for me to ask someone maybe my union Stewart about changing positions from preloader to unloader. ATM our center has been hiring new employees and some are working in the back in unload since I have more seniority am I able to request this?

Al-linskiii

Damn I'm in the same situation myself. I've missed work and they've realizes when I do the belt doesn't run as smooth. I have 4 trucks and get up 1200 packages daily

Box Ox

preload positions aren't bid, so technically no

talk with your sup, or just misload a lot until they move you lol

Yep. I've never understood all the questions on here that would be knocked right out if posters would have just talked to sups or coworkers at their location in the first place. Are they afraid to human or what?

trickpony1

If the OP is a good worker and makes his supe look good, the supe may not want to lose him.
Supes have been known to tell workers anything they think the worker is stupid enough to believe HENCE the OP came here to ask hoping for a straight, honest answer

Supervisors will keep their flock if it means keeping numbers. Why lose someone doing 220pph when you can just lie to them?

OP as long as you've worked in the same place for six months, you can transfer shifts. You won't lose seniority, either. I don't even think there's requirements outside of seniority.

I switched from unload to preload after my first two months.

My boss didn't like me and I didn't like him. After they saw the work I could do, they moved me and trained me in all preload positions.

I'd ask your steward for the technicals and for advice for whom you should speak with. Approaching a supervisor who doesn't wanna lose a belt worker will get you some sort of line, and when word gets out, all of them will say the same thing.

Short of that, contact your union and ask.

Evening sort is a lot slower and generally depressing. I couldn't go back if I had to. It's super boring and nothing is fast paced and it looks like everyone wants to kill themselves. Here, anyway.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
It also depends on how much seniority there is on your unload. They'd either need to have a vacancy there first or someone in the unload who wants to move to preload.

If their unload is working with any degree of efficiency efficiency, they won't want to move people around without a good reason.

llamainmypocket

I don't know how this myth that part timers had no say got started but it's wrong. Make your request, make it known to your BA, then file a grievance when the contracts violated.

Article 22 section 4

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall
have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting
to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred
jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical,
Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and
Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific
unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been estab-
lished.

Al-linskiii

I don't know how this myth that part timers had no say got started but it's wrong. Make your request, make it known to your BA, then file a grievance when the contracts violated.

Article 22 section 4

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall
have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting
to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred
jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical,
Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and
Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific
unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been estab-
lished.

Really? Thanks man this is really helpful.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Yep. I've never understood all the questions on here that would be knocked right out if posters would have just talked to sups or coworkers at their location in the first place. Are they afraid to human or what?
You talkin' crazy.