Is it that hard?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To design a decent package delivery vehicle?

In a new 800 the shift inhibit is brutal on this thing and apparently designing a filler neck for fuel that lets you pump fuel quickly is mission impossible.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They could have left most of those dash alarms off also. I drove a new P-800 one day, I didn't care for it. They offered to give me a brand new one and I turned it down and kept my '07 P-700 with 240K miles on it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They could have left most of those dash alarms off also. I drove a new P-800 one day, I didn't care for it. They offered to give me a brand new one and I turned it down and kept my '07 P-700 with 240K miles on it.
Yeah the damn thing beeps for everything except when we back up. Still need to honk.

Z

ZQXC

Nothing like some good old familiar.......

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
With a little trial and error you can feel around under the steering column with your hands to find the speaker and put a piece of tape over it. It lowers the incessant blaring beeping volume to the volume it should be. The shift range inhibit is brutal as I posted like a year ago. You have to be at a complete and I mean complete stop and the brake pedal has to be depressed. The engine stop button is also stiffer and requires you to hold it down longer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Also, some maroon designed the dash on an angle, so the lights reflect on the windshield when dark.
I took a 6" wide strip of cardboard, spray-painted it black, and taped it to the top of the dash so that it sticks out over the top and makes a "hood" that prevents the lights from reflecting on the windshield.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
To design a decent package delivery vehicle?

In a new 800 the shift inhibit is brutal on this thing and apparently designing a filler neck for fuel that lets you pump fuel quickly is mission impossible.
homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif
Hmmm....the title of this thread is quite misleading, Veal Chop!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
If your turn the dashboard dimer all the way down it shuts off. Also if you know one of the mechanics they can disable it.
Not if they worry about keeping their job. Disabling the alarm is a serious offense. Same goes for drivers. Just some friendly advice.....don't do it. No tampering. This has been an especially big issue since the Federal Way incident. Defeating the alarm would mean falsifying the PMI form for the car to pass the inspection....a firing offense. Please don't ask. We are obligated to report any observed tampering with these things.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not if they worry about keeping their job. Disabling the alarm is a serious offense. Same goes for drivers. Just some friendly advice.....don't do it. No tampering. This has been an especially big issue since the Federal Way incident. Defeating the alarm would mean falsifying the PMI form for the car to pass the inspection....a firing offense. Please don't ask. We are obligated to report any observed tampering with these things.
What exactly do you know about the Federal Way incident? Was it a brake failure, or a failure in the keyless ignition, or what?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

I'm right there with you. These things are absolute garbage. The instrument panels on these cars are like slot machines. Different colors and sounds constantly going off. They have these pain in the a-double-s push button starts. Gotta click the button 48 times to get the rear door to open. They have over-sensitive accelerator pedals too. Good forbid you have to nose up to another vehicle - one false slip and you'll knock the other car into another zip code.

I moved one the other night doing Carwash. Brand new - less than 20k on the clock - and the damn thing sounded like a 1972 Ford Maverick that was in terrible need of a tune-up.

JL 0513

The shift inhibitor is a huge annoyance and a big safety hazard which ironically is there for "safety". You may find yourself needing to move quickly out of incoming traffic and now you're inhibited because God forbid you didn't have the brake fully depressed during the whole shift. Now you have to put it back in park and try again while traffic is moving. Totally ridiculous. It gets better once you're used to it but it wastes time. With the older trucks you can shift quickly and drive will engage even when your foot comes off the brake in the process.