Is it worth going to the interview as a full time seasonal package deliver driver?

chippp

Hello all! I would like to know if it is worth my time to go the interview for the full time seasonal package delivery driver position? Will I be hired permanently after this holiday season or will they just lay me off? I already have a permanent job and things are going ok. I need to earn more money that's why I applied. Is worth quitting my job for this UPS temp position at all? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chip

atatbl

Re: Is it worth going to the interview as a full time seasonal package deliver driver

That is something only you can answer.. blah blah blah

Now for the real solution. UPS is already talking layoffs. Even if this is overblown (which I doubt) and an attempt to surprise wallstreet, the volume is simply not there to keep hiring drivers from inside (much less outside).

I would say (without knowing the details) that it is not worth quitting a full time job for this chance. Unless, of course, the details were that you are making something like $10,000/year and couldn't get by. Even if you don't have a family I do not see this paying off.

evilleace

Re: Is it worth going to the interview as a full time seasonal package deliver driver

Don't quit your other job like it was stated before UPS already talking layoffs and seasonal drivers usually get layed off anyway and in this economy if you have a job that is getting you by. You can not quit the sure thing as you might not find another job.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Considering UPS is already laying off, as a seasonal and after Christmas, you will be the first to be cut as a seasonal driver.

newguy1

i am a seasonal driver with hopes to stay with the company, just like everyone says about the layoffs i keep my hopes high but we can all see the reality of the economy....

its NOT a good idea to quit your job for any reason at this time, if you really want to work as a package car driver full time maybe try to apply once the economy bounces back.

as for me, i was already laid off from my last job so this is the only thing i have and am putting my all....

due to the circumstances you have to decide on whats best for YOU.

seasonal layoffs start Dec. 26

chippp

Thanks for the great advice guys! So should I just cancel my appointment for tomorrow then? I received what looked like a canned email last week stating prepare to spend 60-90 minutes touring the facility and then you will be able to sit down with an HR rep for any questions. Did any of you receive the same type of email when you applied?

Thanks again.

newguy1

i first had an appt. for an information meeting describing the job, what to expect...etc. then if we were interested we had to call back to set up a 'road test' with a center manager. then once we passed that, we had to take a DOT test and start the Prequalification tests (takes about 8-12 hours) usually done in 2-4 days depending on your time. then you have to schedule a 'ride along' in which you ride with a driver and see hands on what the job is....once you finish that you have to go to INTEGRAD for a week in Maryland (if you live on the east coast) then after that you are able to start working if you pass INTEGRAD. so that whole process takes 2-3 weeks to even be able to start working.

i honestly think its a bit late to start the seasonal package handler job because it takes time to really start working and driving. then you have to get trained your route and with peak already starting you'll have high volume and will be difficult to grasp everything. im not saying it cant be done but for me personally it took me 2 weeks to learn my route and now i can do it alone without any problems. (and still learning things everyday), and just to add its getting dark early so that just makes it alittle harder to see addresses and street signs if you're not familiar with the area.

i had no idea what the job really entailed, i have always been a hard labor worker so physically am used to the kind of work, but i had no idea the speeds that us drivers have to move...

Chipp. the odds of you staying on @ UPS after peek season is probably in the area of 1000 to 1. Not saying it could not/would not happen but the smart money is on it not happening. Regardless of what any UPS HR or management person might say to you.
I would not quit a full time job that pays my bills, to gamble on UPS.

Like some others here when I started with the company(23 years ago), I really didn't have much to lose.

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Chipp. the odds of you staying on @ UPS after peek season is probably in the area of 1000 to 1. Not saying it could not/would not happen but the smart money is on it not happening. Regardless of what any UPS HR or management person might say to you.
I would not quit a full time job that pays my bills, to gamble on UPS.

Like some others here when I started with the company(23 years ago), I really didn't have much to lose.
I second his motion.

Jobs are hard to come by today, everywhere.

PAUPSER

Hello all! I would like to know if it is worth my time to go the interview for the full time seasonal package delivery driver position? Will I be hired permanently after this holiday season or will they just lay me off? I already have a permanent job and things are going ok. I need to earn more money that's why I applied. Is worth quitting my job for this UPS temp position at all? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chip

I wouldn’t even consider quitting your job to work at ups as a seasonal driver, id keep your current job and maybe look for something else part time. You be will laid off after peak because your temporary help, because the chances of you getting hired after January is slim to none. This is nothing personal against you but ups is already talking of having a slow “peak” season compared to previous years and with the first of a new year being usually a slow point for ups and with ups already talking of shutting down some faculties, consolidating others and mass lay offs this is not a good time to leave your present permanent full job and apply at ups

Of course we do not know any specifics of who is in the plan to lay off after the first of the year as per the headquarters announcement. I suspect most will come from the redundant jobs after the districts and so forth have been consolidated.
It wouldn't surprise me even a little if they came up with new "electronic"/GPS time studies that show a driver can take on 10-20% more work and still finish in the same amount of time and try to make adjustments accordingly, but that's just supposition on my part.