Is July 5th a holiday

RoyalFlush

One of Them
I'm not familiar with all the supplements, but in my area you are not guaranteed off on any holiday. You are guaranteed pay. If UPS decides to work July 5th for operational reasons they can force employees to work from the bottom of the seniority list up. You get paid holiday pay plus time and a half for working on the holiday. Unless there is a major catastrophe that causes a huge back up, I don't envision UPS paying everyone OT to work on the holiday. Even then it's not likely due to the cost associated with it. I know it's not popular, but you can be disciplined for not showing up.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Monday July 5th is observed as Independence Day on our calender and by the government ! I don't know how this thread should have gotten past 4 posts on the subject.

PS - How someone works at UPS for 23 years and never had the Monday off when July 4th was on a Sunday is beyond my comprehension.

TheKid

Ok...my turn. I am the kind of person that tries to use experience and common sense. I am a steward and tell people all the time...I don't have every line of the contract memorized. Anyways...been at UPS 24 yrs. and I never recall (experience) having a Monday off because a holiday fell on a Sunday. I am not stating law, procedure, or contract....I am just saying in the past 24 yr. (experience), a holiday must have fallen on a Sunday (common sense) and I do not recall having Monday off. BTW....I have that week off as vacation so I could give a rat's ass because either way I am on vacation and I get and extra day's pay.

SWORDFISH

Ok...my turn. I am the kind of person that tries to use experience and common sense. I am a steward and tell people all the time...I don't have every line of the contract memorized. Anyways...been at UPS 24 yrs. and I never recall (experience) having a Monday off because a holiday fell on a Sunday. I am not stating law, procedure, or contract....I am just saying in the past 24 yr. (experience), a holiday must have fallen on a Sunday (common sense) and I do not recall having Monday off. BTW....I have that week off as vacation so I could give a rat's ass because either way I am on vacation and I get and extra day's pay.

That day being a holiday though(the 5th monday). It would entitle you to an extra day off later because your vacation falls on that day.

TheKid

I don't think we have a choice in our area....we automatically get the pay. I am not saying yes or no on this debate....I just do not remember it happening. Maybe I am always on vacation and never paid attention.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I have a sticker stuck above my bulkhead door that came off of my letter box 11 years ago. It reads "No Service on Monday July 5th 1999". I do seem to recall a year when Christmas and New Years fell on a Sunday and we didn't get any time off that holiday season.

RoyalFlush

One of Them
Monday July 5th is observed as Independence Day on our calender and by the government ! I don't know how this thread should have gotten past 4 posts on the subject.

PS - How someone works at UPS for 23 years and never had the Monday off when July 4th was on a Sunday is beyond my comprehension.

Seems like fun to keep it going. Most people will likely be off. There are some people that will work and they will be paid holiday pay plus OT for the hours worked. Not everyone is a driver and not everyone works Monday-Friday. Friday after Thanksgiving is a holiday. Many people work. the same is possible for any holiday, although it's not likely.

jimstud

Banned

do you remember every holiday through out your whole career? i don't but i do remember the last time christmas was on a sunday ( and yes it is a federal holiday ) the brockton building was delievering on monday.
ps back at you if you can remember every holiday and what day they fell on and what you did the next day you are more than a package monkey you are a package gorilla or maybe king kong.

SWORDFISH

Im not working in july so either way it doesnt matter to me. Jim if you have to work enjoy the $75/hr. I will have to start calling you DR. Jim at least on monday.

rod

Retired 22 years
I never worked the week of 4th of July once in 30 years so I couldn't tell you if UPS always had the Monday off if it fell on a Sunday. I would guess the automatic Monday off is a recent (last 10-15 years) thing.

SWORDFISH

I never worked the week of 4th of July once in 30 years so I couldn't tell you if UPS always had the Monday off if it fell on a Sunday. I would guess the automatic Monday off is a recent (last 10-15 years) thing.

:funny: last 10-15 years is recent.