Is package handling really that bad?

BP2013

I saw the ad in the paper so I called yesterday and just went in for the observation and filled out the application today and it didn't seem half as bad as people make it out to be.

Here after reading online I thought I was in for a nightmare people throwing boxes running everywhere, people getting yelled at but here everyone seemed rather friendly and everyone's just kinda walking around casually looking at the labels and putting them in the cars, seemed more tedious than physically exhausting, is there something I'm missing?

This is Fedex ground by the way. When I told people I was applying they told me to "Run like the wind".
I think I might have a good chance of getting the job anyway but there's got to be something I'm missing, maybe it's just harder than it looks.

Last edited:

STFXG

The summer is always a bit lighter. It's calm in my building like that. No bully managers. But it can get hectic. If you're in decent physical shape it's not that bad. A lot depends on the trucks you're loading or if you're unloading. The pay is the worst part...

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
This is Fedex ground by the way. When I told people I was applying they told me to "Run like the wind".
I think I might have a good chance of getting the job anyway but there's got to be something I'm missing, maybe it's just harder than it looks.

​1,200 packages an hour is easy when you are standing there watching someone else do it. You should skip handling altogether and apply for a management position.

CJinx

The hourly rate for part time grunt labor isn't bad, and it comes with benefits and accrued vacation. The problem is unless it is a big station servicing a lot of urban areas or a hub, you're only going to get 2-4 hours a day; also management likes to send people home early and run a skeleton crew at the end of the sort to save TLH.

hypo hanna

There are big differences between express and ground and big differances in how they are run by corporate. Right now ground is the favored child so things there are probably more relaxed.

TUT

I saw the ad in the paper so I called yesterday and just went in for the observation and filled out the application today and it didn't seem half as bad as people make it out to be.

Here after reading online I thought I was in for a nightmare people throwing boxes running everywhere, people getting yelled at but here everyone seemed rather friendly and everyone's just kinda walking around casually looking at the labels and putting them in the cars, seemed more tedious than physically exhausting, is there something I'm missing?

Ton's of people want nothing to do with any physical work these days. If it and the hours don't bother you, then match made in heaven.

BP2013

Thanks, yeah it probably is mentally exhausting after awhile and the constant bending over has to catch up to you, but I just thought it was going to look a lot more hectic than it was after reading these forums so I relaxed a bit, maybe it was the time of the day though (6:30 A.M.) or that I live in a small city (20,000 people).

The hourly wage sounds nice, but yeah I know I'm barely going to make anything with this job alone, I have the advantage of living only 3 miles away and I'm a bit of a night owl to begin with so I could see how that could effect some people.

hatoya

You should get the pre-load shift, it's EASY.

Just make sure you get the truck loader position because the other positions are hard (unloader and driving around incompatibles)

All you do is just stand around most the time, and you don't have to bend your back since the belts are waist high. You just have load 500-600 boxes a day onto 3 trucks (about 180 boxes per truck), for 4 hours, and that's it. That's only about 5 boxes every 2 minutes which is nothing. Only downsides are that you have to start at around 3am, and you can't miss scanning more than 2 packages a day.

Nick9075

There are big differences between express and ground and big differances in how they are run by corporate. Right now ground is the favored child so things there are probably more relaxed.

Where exactly? certainly not in the NYC area which is 'as bad' or worse than the OP heard about. As I have said, for ground or Home Delivery someone who messes up can put the contractors investment at stake.. I am guessing that The OP is probably around 21, lives with parents and only needs the money for clothes, tattooing and weed. But I would love to know where the environment of Ground is more relaxed?? to me it seems like the most cutthroat environment where you always have to look over your shoulder (especially if you have a favored route) for others who will sabotage you

Nick9075

^^more paranoia^^

but 100% true (if you are referring to what I am saying). I just want everyone to know the truth. BTW, read the operating agreement if you don't believe me. Great place to work for someone who is between 19-21, lives at home, and only needs the money for tattoos, weed and clubbing

bbsam

Staff member
Where exactly? certainly not in the NYC area which is 'as bad' or worse than the OP heard about. As I have said, for ground or Home Delivery someone who messes up can put the contractors investment at stake.. I am guessing that The OP is probably around 21, lives with parents and only needs the money for clothes, tattooing and weed. But I would love to know where the environment of Ground is more relaxed?? to me it seems like the most cutthroat environment where you always have to look over your shoulder (especially if you have a favored route) for others who will sabotage you
it's more relaxed out here.

BP2013

but 100% true (if you are referring to what I am saying). I just want everyone to know the truth. BTW, read the operating agreement if you don't believe me. Great place to work for someone who is between 19-21, lives at home, and only needs the money for tattoos, weed and clubbing

Well that isn't stereotypical at all.

BP2013

Stereotypes exist for a reason much of the time they are true.

Well I have an apartment, work online doing marketing as a publisher but looking to supplement my income and go to college and the tuition reimbursement was appealing, don't drink, rarely smoke weed anymore, 1 tattoo don't really plan on getting anymore don't see how that is relevant anyway or what I do with my money or my current living situation has any relevance to this topic anyhow, find another thread if you're just looking to complain.

Epoisode7

BP2013, I'm not a PH, but a driver for a contractor, so take this with a grain of salt. I work in a small terminal that is very relaxed and I'm good friends with the PH there. He is in a situation similar to yours and enjoys the job and benefits. I'm a HUGE proponent of education and if you can get FedEx to use their own capital to finance even a portion of your education, do it.

Grounded

I started out and a package handler. It's a great work out. and you get paid for it. I looked at it like that, enjoyed it and I moved up very quickly into management(ground).

HomeDelivery

agree w/ last 2 replies... the PH are more relaxed at the HD terminals that i work out of ~ more so because they don't pre-load our vehicles; they just place them in a pile by route number... it's a bit more hectic at the Ground terminals.

use it like a paid work-out & get your degree ASAP to move on!

klein

Für Meno :)

Listen !
Most of the preload is done before 7am !
Way before your observation time.
You just seen the "lost & found", packages, (being probably loaded by p/t sups) that's about it !

Go there at 5am, whole different story ! See and feel the sweat !

Listen !
Most of the preload is done before 7am !
Way before your observation time.
You just seen the "lost & found", packages, (being probably loaded by p/t sups) that's about it !

Go there at 5am, whole different story ! See and feel the sweat !

Or go to the bar at the end of the work day and watch the flop sweat.