Is Sales to Driver possible?

I worked on the sort aisle for 3 years, regrettably had to leave due to bills piling up and being offered a FT spot at my other gig that paid well, no driver spot was in sight. Here I am 2 years later and I was hired on for UPS Inside Sales, I'm assuming because of my UPS experience and having a degree.

My question is simple, how likely is it that I can transfer into a driver role? I could end up liking this sales gig, but in the event that I don't, I'd like to know I have a back up option. Typically once you're embedded with a company its easier to move around but with the union, things are obviously complicated, and for good reason. I know I'm no longer a union guy so go easy on me, fellas.

Cheers,
Art

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm not kidding. Why would you give that up? Not to mention being a driver is going to be a higher stress job. You'd never get me to leave a job like yours without having done it before. It's not the cake walk people who have never done it believe.
High stress?

I'm not kidding. Why would you give that up? Not to mention being a driver is going to be a higher stress job. You'd never get me to leave a job like yours without having done it before. It's not the cake walk people who have never done it believe.

Didn't mean to imply it was a cake walk, that's my bad.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You will be calling customers based upon sales leads put in by the drivers and cold calling others.

You will need to grow some thicker skin.

You cannot go from ISR directly to Operations.

I'm aware of the job responsibilities of my new role. Not surprisingly, I've now heard both yes and no to my original question. Thanks for the input guys, I'll figure it out for sure eventually.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I worked on the sort aisle for 3 years, regrettably had to leave due to bills piling up and being offered a FT spot at my other gig that paid well, no driver spot was in sight. Here I am 2 years later and I was hired on for UPS Inside Sales, I'm assuming because of my UPS experience and having a degree.

My question is simple, how likely is it that I can transfer into a driver role? I could end up liking this sales gig, but in the event that I don't, I'd like to know I have a back up option. Typically once you're embedded with a company its easier to move around but with the union, things are obviously complicated, and for good reason. I know I'm no longer a union guy so go easy on me, fellas.

Cheers,
Art
Yes, it's possible. At least around here, every so many full-time driving positions they fill from inside part-timers, they fill one from outside, "off the street", so to say. Sometimes they're filled by current management. I see it all the time. Your chance is definitely there.

P.S. If you take such a job at my center and bump me down yet another notch and I find out it's you, I will rain down an unholy sh*storm on your world.