Is selling merchandise allowed at the hub?

BrownThunder

Just a random question that popped into my head today while working my 9-5. I'm currently a warehouse manager at Fastenal and would like to know if I would be allowed to sell gloves to my co-workers at the hub. While I was at the hub for orientation/tour, I noticed hardly anyone was wearing any hand protection. I thought that was a bit strange, so I saw that as an opportunity to provide them when I begin working there next week.

I don't want to get in trouble for it, so if things like that are not allowed let me know. My aim isn't to be some sleazy salesman, but I do have access to everything Fastenal sells at an employee discount. I could hook my co-workers up with cheap stuff they might want or need.

BrownThunder

Ok good to know. I can sell to whomever I want so long as I'm not out here tapping people's shoulder and giving sales pitches. I'll probably bring 5-6 extra pairs with me one day and see if anyone asks where I got them. I'm not totally hip to the politics that exist in my hub so I really would rather not rub anyone the wrong way.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Try to sell them some hoodies...
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1424233307.519599.jpg

BrownThunder

eeeeeeyeah... was only kidding with the shirt thing PT. I'd probably get my __ kicked before Management could get to me if I walked in CAOAK with those.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Just a random question that popped into my head today while working my 9-5. I'm currently a warehouse manager at Fastenal and would like to know if I would be allowed to sell gloves to my co-workers at the hub. While I was at the hub for orientation/tour, I noticed hardly anyone was wearing any hand protection. I thought that was a bit strange, so I saw that as an opportunity to provide them when I begin working there next week.

I don't want to get in trouble for it, so if things like that are not allowed let me know. My aim isn't to be some sleazy salesman, but I do have access to everything Fastenal sells at an employee discount. I could hook my co-workers up with cheap stuff they might want or need.
Gloves are something a lot of people use for job purposes. Don't go hanging up flyers or going through your sales pitch, but you can let people know that if they need gloves for work, you can get them at a discount.

If they ask what kind, then do your sales pitch. Make sure you are on break or off the clock, unless it's just "I'll take 3.

browntroll

the guys that sell gloves at our hub normally take orders in advance so they dont have to walk out with 5-6 pairs of brand new
gloves. just dont expect them to buy expensive ones unless its a pter with years with the company, i go trough a pair a week myself
so i try to buy the cheapest ones i can.

BrownThunder

Gotcha. I purchased a case (144pr) for my own use during my stint as a part timer. If someone wants a pair I'll do it. If not, I'll just use them myself. Thanks for answering my question guys.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I have to agree with the "hooking them up" suggestions. As long as you do it like that you're not selling them, you're just buying them for them and they're paying you back. Don't ask people if they want to buy them, wear them and ask if they want you to hook them up too in conversation.