Votes: 5 31.3%
  • The sprinter is a man

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

over9five

Staff member
Is She a He?

You sure can't tell from the picture.

"A South African teenager will be forced to take a test to prove she is a woman after storming to victory Wednesday in the 800-meter sprint at the world championships."

klein

Für Meno :)
I read the story yesterday, kinda got a kick out of it.
She/he has to undergo a complicated sex-determination test.

Sometimes, oldfashion ways are just better..:funny:

over9five

Staff member
I know! Why in the world should it take 7 weeks to determine if she is female? I think I could figure it out much faster....

klein

And what if you found out that she was indeed a he? :surprised:

If it's a women, it'll take him 7minutes, and a guy 7 miliseconds. :happy-very:

Anyways, I'm tempted to take my vote back. Thinking more and more, that we are due for a big scandel again.
Besides, if it is a man, he already got his wish come true, to be at the Olympics... won't matter to him if he's stripped of gold.

He'll probably write a book, and get movie offers, and become a multi-millionare.

klein

Caster Gets A Makeover

The result :

Embattled track star Caster Semenya gets new coach, new look

By Chris Chase
It's been a week of change for Caster Semenya, the South African runner at the center of a gender controversy at last month's world track championships.
First, one of her South African coaches quit the team in shame for not telling Semenya that she was being subjected to gender tests. (Semenya had thought she was taking a doping test.) Then, Semenya appeared on the cover of South Africa's You magazine with a complete makeover designed to silence critics who insist she is a man.
For the shoot Semenya sported a less ambiguous hair style, a designer black dress, jewelry, makeup and nail polish. Despite what you think about the whole situation, it's safe to say that this is the first time that Semenya has truly looked like an 18-year old woman.
She says she likes the look too. Semenya told the BBC:
"I'd like to dress up more often and wear dresses but I never get the chance.
I am who I am and I'm proud of myself."
Let's hope this is what she wants though.
Nothing Semenya has done in the past month has suggested that she likes to wear dresses, get manicures and let down her hair. After the controversy broke, she kept her cornrows, wore baggy clothes and pounded her chest in victory like a college football cornerback. When she returned to her hometown, she was dressed the same way. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. That seemed to be Semenya's natural inclination. This feels forced.
Hopefully I'm wrong. But if Semenya was pressured to do this to silence her critics, then this is a sad story rather than one of retribution. The opinions of a few jealous coaches shouldn't have an effect on how an 18-year old carries herself. If Semenya wants to wear dresses then she should. But if she wants to run around in track suits, what's the problem with that?
The coach who resigned wasn't Semenya's personal coach, but a middle distance supervisor on the South African team who was ashamed that Semenya was kept in the dark about the growing controversy. Wilfred Daniels said he was told the issue was supposed to stay private.

over9five

Staff member
Yes, someone made her look like a woman.

But that testosterone level that is three times the norm for a woman..... Is it fair to the women she races against to ignore that?
When she sets a record, should an asterisk be placed next to her name?

klein

Yes, someone made her look like a woman.

But that testosterone level that is three times the norm for a woman..... Is it fair to the women she races against to ignore that?
When she sets a record, should an asterisk be placed next to her name?

Just on my news today, 2 more weeks, and the final results are in.
Yes, if she's more man then woman. She'll get stripped of her achievements (most likely).

klein

It's official - it's a boy !

Caster Semenya, the South African sprinter who won the women's 800-metre event at last month's track and field world championships in Berlin, is a hermaphrodite, according to several published reports.

According to the reports, the International Association of Athletics Federations was preparing to disqualify Semenya, 18, from future events after gender tests uncovered evidence that she has no womb or ovaries, and carries both male and female sexual organs. They will not, however, strip Semenya of the gold medal from Berlin.

Sources involved in the IAAF testing, which involved various scans, said Semenya was found to have internal testes and three times the amount of testosterone that a "normal" female would have.

The sport's governing body, which has not decided whether or not it will strip Semenya of her 800m world championships gold medal, will also advise the runner to seek immediate surgery, believing her condition poses significant health risks.

Last edited: