Is signing for people ever allowed?

ups1990

How do you guys go about when it comes to getting signatures for the people who are elderly and can't hold a pen, yet they need their medications or those disabled physically and can't sign for obvious reasons. I have a customer on route that can't get out of bed due to being morbidly obese but has signature required meds. I've written their names in print only and made remarks as per customer.
How do you BC drivers deal with this?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
How do you guys go about when it comes to getting signatures for the people who are elderly and can't hold a pen, yet they need their medications or those disabled physically and can't sign for obvious reasons. I have a customer on route that can't get out of bed due to being morbidly obese but has signature required meds. I've written their names in print only and made remarks as per customer.
How do you BC drivers deal with this?

You're just asking for trouble doing this however, under certain circumstances, sometimes your moral values kick in. Do you want someone to go without lifesaving meds just because they cannot sign? Technically we are supposed to check ID but I bet 99% don't. Nothing like CYA though and sending a message in letting them know the situation and ask for guidance. If they say sign the customer name then take a picture of the message and sign the name. If they say do not sign, try to get the customer to give you the name or number of a family member who can take responsibility for the meds.

Future

Victory Ride
I understand your concern about older people and meds.....i woulnt sign there name....just have them scribble what ever they can manage. I have never done it but in some cases even a video from your cell phone if you are worried or they are HV meds!

dar7776

Banned
Don't take a viedo just a quick picture but some elderly don't like pictures so just snap a shot of there hand on the diad

dar7776

Banned
I understand your concern about older people and meds.....i woulnt sign there name....just have them scribble what ever they can manage. I have never done it but in some cases even a video from your cell phone if you are worried or they are HV meds!
How you gonna advise him to do something you've never done instead have him do something that you would've done! These things happen all the time there is a # call DR.

BrownTexas

It's not your problem he is too obese to sign. He needs to send the packages to someone that can sign and have them being it to him. Don't even let management tell you "it's ok for you to sign". They can still fire you anytime they want because of it, let you sit out a few weeks, and you will get your job back. But I rather just keep my job in the first place. Common sense and morals will have you do the wrong thing and give them something to hang you for. Work by the methods.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've got 1 resident on route who is legally blind and 2 with Parkinson's.
I don't care what the rules are, you don't embarrass these people by trying to make them sign the board.

Other than that, you open yourself up to scrutiny if you delivered a package and they denied they signed for it.

PT Car Washer

I've got 1 resident on route who is legally blind and 2 with Parkinson's.
I don't care what the rules are, you don't embarrass these people by trying to make them sign the board.

Other than that, you open yourself up to scrutiny if you delivered a package and they denied they signed for it.
Heffer hit the nail on the head. Ask the persons permission, make an X and clarify their name. Why is common sense so uncommon these days?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Telematics should show you are in the house. I print name, customer cannot sign by my initials. Been doing it for years, with a supervisor with me a few times. I have one lady so obese she doesnt get out of bed. Her extremely obese child lets me in, sometimes he/she signs, I cant tell which the child is. Sometimes a nurse is there to sign, when that fails the smell is so bad, I do the above and scoot. Confined by fat, I dont want any of them touching my board, really.