Is sure post going away in 2012?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In our center, there is a cutoff time for all the PO pieces to be bagged and processed. Anything coming out of the trailers after that time get scanned into EDD and loaded with the normal pieces.
But these packages have the USPS address on it so they get delivered to the PO but as loose packages.

ups2000

I had 2 packages thursday that was supposed to go to po but pas label had consigne address on it. For some reason some companys don't use service code pt they are trying new codes and system isn't catching it. One day I had a po bag that had a pas label that was addressed to a house.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have been getting a few Surepost deliveries in my package car the last week, they are in my EDD like a regular package. It looks like the local letter carriers I deliver with are having problems actually having to carry packages up to the door.

That was my question to Scratch--he said that he had Surepost packages in his EDD going directly to the consignee.

I had 2 packages thursday that was supposed to go to po but pas label had consigne address on it. For some reason some companys don't use service code pt they are trying new codes and system isn't catching it. One day I had a po bag that had a pas label that was addressed to a house.

Most shippers that are able to get a Surepost contract have an enterprise level fulfillment system that includes a shipping component. They use Host Manifest to upload their PLD which is used to bill so the Billing Invoice will be based on the SLI (Service Level Indicator) embedded in the 1Z.

This is an interesting scenario in which the human readable service is not matching the 1Z. They may have a trigger in their logic that converts from a Surepost to regular Ground in the 1Z for weight and size criteria but is not switching the Human Readable on the label.

Report to your management or you can send the 1Z to me and I can have the appropriate people take a look.

PS - 8,000th post

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Do they have two sets of barcodes--ours going to the Post Office and theirs going to the consignee? If so, when you scan our barcode does it come up at the consignee's address or the P.O. address?

I get these frequently on my rural route. There are two sets of barcodes and I scan the UPS barcode while making delivery. When I stop complete the Diad, I get a prompt "Is this package being delivered to the designated Post Office?" I reply NO and go on my merry way.
Have no idea if UPS is paying the USPS for making this delivery or not. I choose to make service on the parcel regardless.

nocturnalbuck

The general concept of UPS discounting their rates to be able to ship to USPS and let USPS deliver the pkgs based on zipcodes, to save UPS miles run, and gaining volume is a very flawed conception.
The basis of this concept is to reduce miles on rural routes and the opposite is occurring.
I have taken note of who I deliver to and who is going to get their pkgs via surepost/basic.
85% of them are going to the same people I deliver to daily at full cost service.
Gaining volume by reducing your profit margin by 50% is not a good business model.
On a weekly basis, I have to break off trace after delivering to a customer and drive 5 to 15 miles to a post office so that USPS can deliver a package the next day to the same damn customer I just left.
Now to the pkg size issue.
Just last week I had three boxes to delivery to a podunk post office-(literally the office is 15' by 17')- and those boxes were so big that they would only fit in the center isle of my P700.
The mail carrier drives a subcompact vehicle. No freaking way was I going to dump them at the P.O and say just deal with it.
I delivered them to the consignee and saved 10 miles by doing so.-( yes,I had permission, from above, to do so)-
So, IMHO, the only one that is gaining on the bottom line is the USPS.
At least that is the way it pans out in the rural areas.

I find it hard to believe that you don't have a stop within a 1/4 mi of the post office

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That was my question to Scratch--he said that he had Surepost packages in his EDD going directly to the consignee.

These packages have the Post Office address on them, but are PALed to the consignee's address in my EDD. When you hit DR on the DIAD, I get a screen that pops up asking a yes or no question about whether or not I am delivering to a Post Office address. I don't know why these packages are getting in my load and whether or not UPS is keeping all the revenue made instead of sharing it with the USPS.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I get these frequently on my rural route. There are two sets of barcodes and I scan the UPS barcode while making delivery. When I stop complete the Diad, I get a prompt "Is this package being delivered to the designated Post Office?" I reply NO and go on my merry way.
Have no idea if UPS is paying the USPS for making this delivery or not. I choose to make service on the parcel regardless.
The upload is being done incorrectly.
They were suppose to upload the PO address, but uploaded consignee's instead. Seen it a million times.

9.5 everyday

I cover a route that has a post office on it, the same building has many doctors offices above it. What once was a 10-15pc. delivery split to about 5-7 offices and took 10 minutes to deliver, is now 100+ pcs and still 5-7 stops but takes 40 minutes. Unfortunately the route still plans the same and no time is allotted for the volume. Not to mention that on a daily basis, I deliver packages to residences that have received packages from the post office.......which I delivered to them!!!! I cover the same miles every day, there is no money saved on fuel by delivering to the post office.... at least in my area. This seems like its wasting the time of both UPS drivers and Mail Men/Women.

danlin

My time allowance is so much better with surepost, it seems that I am getting credit for all packages in the bags. Last week I had the Manager at the P.O. that I deliver to refuse a pkg because their barcode was torn off by us somehow. He Claimed they wouldn't be able to get "paid" for the parcel...???

packageguy

I think it's here to stay, I've been delivering over 500 pieces to one post office. mailman are pissed at me, boxes don't fit in there trucks.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think it's here to stay, I've been delivering over 500 pieces to one post office. [-]mailman[/-]Mail carriers are pissed at me, boxes don't fit in [-]there[/-] their trucks.
They have no reason to be pissed at us. They can be pissed at the shippers and at corporate but it wasn't our decision. Just sayin.............................:happy2:

worldwide

If sure post isn't going anywhere. Then the post office need to spend billions of dollars and invest in bigger cars and or more employees. I don't see that happening. I do however see sure post disappearing.

SurePost will go away only if FedEx Smart disappears as well as other major consolidators. If SurePost disappears and SmartPost does not, UPS jobs will be lost. Let's all face reality, UPS is squarely focused on profits - as many have posted on here. More profit in ground residential verus SurePost, I would imagine.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
SurePost will go away only if FedEx Smart disappears as well as other major consolidators. If SurePost disappears and SmartPost does not, UPS jobs will be lost. Let's all face reality, UPS is squarely focused on profits - as many have posted on here. More profit in ground residential verus SurePost, I would imagine.
I had 1 pumpkin and 1 flat cart stacked over my head for one of our post offices. I asked the gal (i know her pretty well) if they were happy with this sure post thing. She rolled her eyes at me. Hmmmmmmm, wonder what that meant. :rofl::rofl::rofl: