Is sure post going away in 2012?

curiousbrain

Some observations on SurePost.

The center where I am employed services a large metropolitan area, and multiple post offices; most are of average size, and one of them happens to be a very large post office. This large post office probably receives over a thousand SurePost packages a day; we can barely fit them all into an 800 - some of the boxes are enormous. When the dimensions are not a problem, the sheer volume is extremely overwhelming - small sort has a real problem with all the processing before the shift is set to end, and when we try to process them all down on the belt(s) it is a precarious exercise, to put it mildly.

This is during peak - we have a route devoted to this one stop. From what I hear, routes are hard to come by, and devoting one to a single stop is a tough sell; even if the driver can then go help other people after this stop, it is still a huge pain in the arse because they have to unload a thousand or more packages, scan bags and large boxes, and load up the mail carts or what not. During the "normal" season, the regular route that services this stop is so blown out by the post office that the individual barely has room to fit his NDA into the truck, and it's the biggest truck in the building.

There is an intersection of factors here which contribute to this mess, some of which are probably above my pay grade; including perhaps: route limits and large SurePost packages.

SurePost may or may not go the way of the dodo, that is for others to decide; what I do know, operationally speaking however, is that some changes need to be made to the way the vast volume is handled; bagging every 6 to twelve parcels is not working; the driver wastes a ton of time mucking around at the post office.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
There has to be creative ways to get some of this extra bulk delivered but the company is too enslaved by the numbers to think outside the parcel. These post office stops are destroying some routes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I highly doubt he would have gone public.

He actually took United Parcel Service public once but it did not raise the capital as expected and so he took the company back private.

So I am not sure since he did take UPS public himself during his era.

menotyou

bella amicizia
He actually took United Parcel Service public once but it did not raise the capital as expected and so he took the company back private.

So I am not sure since he did take UPS public himself during his era.
I didn't know that. I just think he treated the employees(all of us) differently than the new era. So, maybe, he would have gone public. BUt, I think, he still would have treated us better than we are all treated now.

Last edited:

rocket man

Several drivers(although not positive) have told me that the post office would not be renewing there sure and smart post contracts with Ups ans fed ex. This would make a big difference come route bid time.. My mainly residintial run was cut about 15 times last year and I am considering coming of it. What have you guys and girls heard.
no sure post is not going away its coming to the back of package car near you soon, look for the (after )holiday flyer.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Some observations on SurePost.

The center where I am employed services a large metropolitan area, and multiple post offices; most are of average size, and one of them happens to be a very large post office. This large post office probably receives over a thousand SurePost packages a day; we can barely fit them all into an 800 - some of the boxes are enormous. When the dimensions are not a problem, the sheer volume is extremely overwhelming - small sort has a real problem with all the processing before the shift is set to end, and when we try to process them all down on the belt(s) it is a precarious exercise, to put it mildly.

This is during peak - we have a route devoted to this one stop. From what I hear, routes are hard to come by, and devoting one to a single stop is a tough sell; even if the driver can then go help other people after this stop, it is still a huge pain in the arse because they have to unload a thousand or more packages, scan bags and large boxes, and load up the mail carts or what not. During the "normal" season, the regular route that services this stop is so blown out by the post office that the individual barely has room to fit his NDA into the truck, and it's the biggest truck in the building.

There is an intersection of factors here which contribute to this mess, some of which are probably above my pay grade; including perhaps: route limits and large SurePost packages.

SurePost may or may not go the way of the dodo, that is for others to decide; what I do know, operationally speaking however, is that some changes need to be made to the way the vast volume is handled; bagging every 6 to twelve parcels is not working; the driver wastes a ton of time mucking around at the post office.
It seems to me, last year during peak, there were a few times when I delivered our largest post office the pkgs were already scanned into the diad. All I had to do was unload and get a signature.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It seems to me, last year during peak, there were a few times when I delivered our largest post office the pkgs were already scanned into the diad. All I had to do was unload and get a signature.

This can certainly be done, in effect creating a really large virtual SurePost bag where the driver just scans a label and unloads the loose packages.

I think BrownBag is referring the tremendous increase in SurePost packages going to a Post Office

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This can certainly be done, in effect creating a really large virtual SurePost bag where the driver just scans a label and unloads the loose packages.

I think BrownBag is referring the tremendous increase in SurePost packages going to a Post Office
Yes, and wouldn't it be easier (at least a little) to not have to scan every single bag and box at the drop point? If this can be done during the load time I would think it would be something that would be implemented as routine.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes, and wouldn't it be easier (at least a little) to not have to scan every single bag and box at the drop point? If this can be done during the load time I would think it would be something that would be implemented as routine.

That is what bbag is trying to do on his preload. Not sure that is acceptable to the people who set up the procedures. A virtual bag at this point appears to have limit of 120-130 packages in the scanner.
I am going to approach the PPOG person I know to see what his reaction is.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That is what bbag is trying to do on his preload. Not sure that is acceptable to the people who set up the procedures. A virtual bag at this point appears to have limit of 120-130 packages in the scanner.
Oooh, okay. Well carry on then. :winnersmiley:

curiousbrain

I eagerly await any results/responses. I have tried to limit each bag to 100 or less, and when scanned with the DIAD, nothing comes up. Each ULD shows up, and can be tracked via ETT, but when scanned with the DIAD == nothing.

It occurs to me I am missing something here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I eagerly await any results/responses. I have tried to limit each bag to 100 or less, and when scanned with the DIAD, nothing comes up. Each ULD shows up, and can be tracked via ETT, but when scanned with the DIAD == nothing.

It occurs to me I am missing something here.
I'll check one day next week and get back with you.