Is the company looking to buy the PostOffice??

DontThrowPackages

I remember, back before 9.11, the company implemented "Zip plus 4". No one except the post office used zip plus 4, as far as i know, yet money was spend to apply it. After New York was hit by the Al Qaeda, rumors died down. Fast forward to today in this climate where no amount of money earned is enough. I can't help but either think some big top people are leaving the company or there's a plan to try a take over. And with the Egos running things, I'm starting to believe the latter.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I remember, back before 9.11, the company implemented "Zip plus 4". No one except the post office used zip plus 4, as far as i know, yet money was spend to apply it. After New York was hit by the Al Qaeda, rumors died down. Fast forward to today in this climate where no amount of money earned is enough. I can't help but either think some big top people are leaving the company or there's a plan to try a take over. And with the Egos running things, I'm starting to believe the latter.

The GOP has been trying to kill-off the Post Office through various schemes, but mainly the pension-funding angle, which keeps the USPS permanently in the red. Fred would like to see the USPS privatized, so he could pick-off the prime product lines, but I don't see him owning it.

dezguy

There has been a long standing rumour up here that HP and FedEx are waiting patiently for Canada Post to fold. At that point they would buy up Canada Post and take over service. Just a rumour but its out there.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There has been a long standing rumour up here that HP and FedEx are waiting patiently for Canada Post to fold. At that point they would buy up Canada Post and take over service. Just a rumour but its out there.

Postal service in any country is one of those things that is absolutely necessary, but doesn't necessarily have to be profitable. Prisons, mental institutions, and education also come to mind as government-provided necessities that serve the common good. The GOP ideal of privatizing everything is basically insane and unworkable, but they never take the time to think beyond the word "profit",

DontThrowPackages

Postal service in any country is one of those things that is absolutely necessary, but doesn't necessarily have to be profitable. Prisons, mental institutions, and education also come to mind as government-provided necessities that serve the common good. The GOP ideal of privatizing everything is basically insane and unworkable, but they never take the time to think beyond the word "profit",
Prisons for profit comes to mind. If prisons have low occupancy, the profit is low. So what do you think the goal is? Its to keep the PFP full. I remember an episode on 20/20 which featured this same ideal but in the form of juvenile halls. The administrators got so hard up for inmates, they started locking kids up for truancy. Greed isn't very Christian but its American.

barnyard

KTM rider
I wonder if the Fed would allow the PO to be pieced out, only selling the most profitable pieces. I dunno. Deutsche Post/DHL is kind of privatized, kind of not and hella profitable.

barnyard

KTM rider
Prisons for profit comes to mind. If prisons have low occupancy, the profit is low.

For profit prisons are one of the biggest proponents of mandatory minimums for minor drug crimes. Google 'Alec', their agenda is a big reason why prisons are so very profitable. Legalizing weed could make prison a very unprofitable venture.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For profit prisons are one of the biggest proponents of mandatory minimums for minor drug crimes. Google 'Alec', their agenda is a big reason why prisons are so very profitable. Legalizing weed could make prison a very unprofitable venture.

Right. The profit motive drives operators to seek a full population, hence the lobbying efforts to imprison people for minor offenses. That's why prison should never be privately-owned...ethical concerns. No coincidence that most are located in conservative states.

Rainman

Its all good.
There was a rumor from reliable sources at UPS that they were looking at managing the post office of the Feds. The deal never went through, probably because of all the restrictions the Feds were putting on the company. If the post office was actually being allowed to be run properly, both fed ex and ups would be hurting badly.

Sent using BrownCafe App

hypo hanna

ZIP+4 was implimented for dispatching reasons. With the exception of a few local modifications, our sectoring is the same. (The first two digits of the +4 is the sector.) This is the main reason for a spike in the number of reroute pickup stops for DRA locations. The two systems run counter to each other.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
but mainly the pension-funding angle, which keeps the USPS permanently in the red.

If you exclude those funding requirements, which they have been skipping anyway, they're still losing billions. I guess the GOP is making the workers even more inefficient than we imagined!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you exclude those funding requirements, which they have been skipping anyway, they're still losing billions. I guess the GOP is making the workers even more inefficient than we imagined!

Sorry, not true. No company, not even FedEx or UPS, can make money off services like First Class Mail, which is heavily subsidized so people can actually afford to use it. The real cost to ship a letter is far above that amount that is charged. Dummy that you are, with your head all full of GOP nonsense, you'll never see the need for subsidized government-provided services like mail service, transit, and prisons. You only understand "profit", and "privatization". It's OK if you're ignorant, Dano. They key is to educate yourself about the realities of life in a society with complicated needs and diverse constituencies.