Is the Orlando Hub closing?

wornoutupser

I have ben told that Orlando Hub is closing and that all in state sorting will be diverted to Hialeah. Has anyone else heard this?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I have ben told that Orlando Hub is closing and that all in state sorting will be diverted to Hialeah. Has anyone else heard this?

I don't think so. Maybe the other way around but not likely either.

Orlando Hub is perfectly situated to distribute to the major population areas in FL and also it being right next to the railyard is a huge cost saver.

BleedBrown

This can not happen! You can not get a package from South Florida to North Florida in one day without going through Orlando or somewhere in between.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Where exactly is the Orlando Hub? I know there is more than 1 building so maybe a sort will be closed. Hialeah is in the Miami area, way too far south, Orlando is almost in the center of the state.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I am wondering too if they are combining work from two Hubs into one or moving a sort to another building. I can't see shutting Orlando completely down. I think my Hub sends hot loads down there.

Where exactly is the Orlando Hub? I know there is more than 1 building so maybe a sort will be closed. Hialeah is in the Miami area, way too far south, Orlando is almost in the center of the state.

Hialeah is an "end of the line" hub since the only direction packages can flow is north (other centrally located hubs have package flow in all directions). I worked in that building a few years ago and the only sort that was at capacity was the preload. The Twi sort squeaked about about 50k and the Night sort volume was around 80k or 90k. There were some local sorts in the district that ran the almost same volume as the HIA Twi sort. Plus, many of the buildings in the South Florida get the majority of their inbound volume from Jax and Orlando and send their outbounds to Jax and Orlando as well. The only volume that flows through Hialeah is volume that stays in the district. So yes, it is a very under-utilized hub and if there were to be any hub consolidations, my money would be on Hialeah getting dissolved.

diesel96

It's not that Orlando is closing, the package centers are business as usual, but I'm guessing, and I hope I'm wrong, but because of lost volume that they can possibly cut long haul feeder runs outbound by their Feeder drivers originating from that hub and have Feeder drivers from So Fla and No Fla converge at that central Hub location like a transfer station. We do it all the time, we have exchange points all over the state, not just in Orlando. I imagine they still would need Feeder drivers for local pick ups, railyard, and airport runs. If someone has updated solid info, please let us know.....Management is being tight lipped about it down here.

Freeloader said:
I heard they will be shutting down the Jax hub and all package processing will be moved to the Stuart hub.

Stuart is not a Hub...it recieves probably 8 to 10 trailers (pups) a night....thats it....It's a small center

blaeux35

It's not that Orlando is closing, the package centers are business as usual, but I'm guessing, and I hope I'm wrong, but because of lost volume that they can possibly cut long haul feeder runs outbound by their Feeder drivers originating from that hub and have Feeder drivers from So Fla and No Fla converge at that central Hub location like a transfer station. We do it all the time, we have exchange points all over the state, not just in Orlando. I imagine they still would need Feeder drivers for local pick ups, railyard, and airport runs. If someone has updated solid info, please let us know.....Management is being tight lipped about it down here.

Stuart is not a Hub...it recieves probably 8 to 10 trailers (pups) a night....thats it....It's a small center
im pretty sure he was making funny. jax is a giant facility. no way they would close that

Tim.

Package Placement Expert
I work at the Cocoa center, about 50 miles east of Orlando. We havent heard anything. The guy who drives to Orlando for air in the morning hasnt said anything, nor has any SUP made any layoff comments to us. Hearing others on here talking about it makes me very concerned. Ive got 2 years under my belt now and know of atleast 7 people with less seniority, so I hope Im safe. But Keeping Orlando open and closing down the other would make sense logistically, but then again, we know how those engineers think. But hey, once Obama gets in, we will be out of Iraq by FEB 1st and the economy will pick up. right?

rocket man

if you have ever been to the orlando hub you would no there is no way they would ever close it . unless super sup works there then they might.