Is the VT engine the bane of your existence at UPS?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'm reasonably sure that Allison is part of the GM umbrella. They work well together that's for sure. Our trucks definitely need tank tranny's to move crap around! We haven't got any of the new 800's yet. I'm sure we will eventually...just so our shop can check them in and send them to other centers.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'm reasonably sure that Allison is part of the GM umbrella. They work well together that's for sure. Our trucks definitely need tank tranny's to move crap around! We haven't got any of the new 800's yet. I'm sure we will eventually...just so our shop can check them in and send them to other centers.
Keep your fingers crossed.(or not) Had a bunch of Workhorse P5's come in new for peak a few years ago which were then promptly sent to Alaska.

sortaisle

We have a few of those. We had an older one with a smaller v8. I think maybe the 4.7? Now we have a couple with the 6.0. Talk about overkill. Love the fact they're single axle. Are the p8's different from the new p7's? Are they short p1's or long p7's? What do they start with...I guess that's a better question...I know the trucks better by their numbers for some reason...like the old/new p5 was 51158 but the newer ones are 512.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The best car I have ever driven in my 25 years here was a 1994 Freightliner P7, #654572. It had a Powerstroke diesel and a Spicer 5 speed stick shift. I personally put over 150K on it while I had it, and it was at 325K and still going strong when it got sent to a different building. It never once broke down on me, and the only repairs it ever needed were glow plugs, a water pump, and a few clutch rebuilds. The ergonomics were great, it was low to the ground, it had a tight turning radius, and it did better in the snow than the newer cars do. Excellent work platform. I miss that car!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
We have a few of those. We had an older one with a smaller v8. I think maybe the 4.7? Now we have a couple with the 6.0. Talk about overkill. Love the fact they're single axle. Are the p8's different from the new p7's? Are they short p1's or long p7's? What do they start with...I guess that's a better question...I know the trucks better by their numbers for some reason...like the old/new p5 was 51158 but the newer ones are 512.

The new Workhorse P8s are completely different from the P7s. They are more like a short P1 and are built a lot more substantially then the P7. The one I have is numbered 854***. A 6.0 in a P5? Holy cow! The 4.8 was just fine. The true engine size is usually on a label on the back side of the air filter box. Other centers have some non-workhorse P7s with single rears and they eat them up very quickly. More so now with the more aggressive drive tires we've been getting for the last year or so.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The best car I have ever driven in my 25 years here was a 1994 Freightliner P7, #654572. It had a Powerstroke diesel and a Spicer 5 speed stick shift. I personally put over 150K on it while I had it, and it was at 325K and still going strong when it got sent to a different building. It never once broke down on me, and the only repairs it ever needed were glow plugs, a water pump, and a few clutch rebuilds. The ergonomics were great, it was low to the ground, it had a tight turning radius, and it did better in the snow than the newer cars do. Excellent work platform. I miss that car!

Had a few of those I got in from more remote centers that were a little rough. Soon as I got them back into shape they were taken away from me. All I usually had to do with those were clutches and glow plug relays.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 654***'s were Internationals (Navistars). I had 202, and loved it for the same reasons. Got it with 3500 miles on the clock and only lost it when I bid an inside job. I have a Freightliner 700 with the M-B now, and except for the turning radius and snow performance, like just as much if not more.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Had a few of those I got in from more remote centers that were a little rough. Soon as I got them back into shape they were taken away from me. All I usually had to do with those were clutches and glow plug relays.

I'm pretty sure my old one has had the engine replaced, but I am also pretty sure it's pushing 700k by now. I should look for it tomorrow and see.:surprised:

Oh yeah, if you can actually get your drivers to start out in low (not first), our old mechanic told me that the clutches would last almost forever.

bbsam

Staff member

I just found some good ondition 98 Internationals dirt cheap with low mileage. Only difference from what I am used to is that they are automatics. Any experience with the 7.3 and auto? I am guessing it's an Allison, 545 maybe?

OptimusPrime

I'm pretty sure my old one has had the engine replaced, but I am also pretty sure it's pushing 700k by now. I should look for it tomorrow and see.:surprised:

Oh yeah, if you can actually get your drivers to start out in low (not first), our old mechanic told me that the clutches would last almost forever.

Does the shift pattern actually say "Low". All the manuals we have show "1" but it's very unrealistic to actually start in that gear. Hell, gotta shift damn near the instant you give it gas.

sortaisle

Some of those old 654's are pigs. They are super comfortable though. The ones we got were from Cali with the stupid emissions on them. Just dogs...route killers. A few of those though we got to reflash. That made them tolerable. Well...I suppose we'll get some of those fancy pants 800's in a few years. I can't think of a route we have that would use them though...we cube out just about all our rigs and our extendeds couldn't handle anything bigger than a 7.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

If it isn't blue, it's a replacement. True on the clutch life. Too bad the drivers are so pressured to move out so quickly and avoid shifts through intersections. Automatics are the way to go.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I just found some good ondition 98 Internationals dirt cheap with low mileage. Only difference from what I am used to is that they are automatics. Any experience with the 7.3 and auto? I am guessing it's an Allison, 545 maybe?
7.3s? yes. 7.3 with auto? no. Had a 6BT with an auto at a previous employer. I presume it was similar. No problems there.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
the first and foremost the old trucks need to lose is the high step,,what is a easier fix?